Woffy

I'm far from up to scratch with the comings and goings of the contemporary pop world, so would someone more 'itk' please enlighten me as to what penance James Arthur preformed to compensate for being a terrible homophobe and subsequent return to celebrity adulation?

If I'm to watch this shit show, I do need to know who to cheer and who to boo.

Many thanks. 

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Totally disagree with this - as long as the artist has added their own interpretation to the song rather than just copied it totally

But surely it's crackers for 'the best song of 2016' to be given to someone for performing someone's else's song that was originally released in 2010. The Grammy's have sort of the right idea, their 'song of the year' award is given to the songwriter(s), although they do still have another seperate category to credit the singer

Watching this for Blossoms. That is all.

Annoying thing about the Brits is that I end up watching it and finding I love quite a lot of the music on there, but never knew who it was, which is frustrating. As well as the inevitably throwbacks to 90's Brit Awards when everything seemed so much more entertaining and less glitzy and corporate.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Well you're more up to scratch than me! I didn't even know he was a terrible homophobe. I just thought he looked like a confused Koala and sang shit songs. 

I can only assume his songs are shit. I honestly wouldn't recognise one if it sat next to me and referred to me in derogatory terms. 

5 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I'm far from up to scratch with the comings and goings of the contemporary pop world, so would someone more 'itk' please enlighten me as to what penance James Arthur preformed to compensate for being a terrible homophobe and subsequent return to celebrity adulation?

Many thanks. 

he displayed no remorse whatsoever. his obsessive fans insistently got his (awful) comeback single to the top of the charts, at which point Simon Cowell decided it would be of interest to cash in and take him back under his wing

18 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I do kind of agree with your logic but if the song is a total re-working of the original such as a Joe Cocker or a Hendrix, to name but two obvious ones, then why should it be excluded

A reasonable enough argument although covers like those never happen these days 

14 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Had a google to see what he'd done. In a list of his transgressions, one shitty tabloid includes

MAY 2013 – Shares a romp with two hookers – but insists on keeping his
socks on.

How dare he have cold toes, the rotter!

Edited to clarify the guy is a total shithead and I wasn't excusing him there. Just also laughing at the scum newspaper. 

my favourite moment was definitely when his response to people objecting to him calling someone a "fucking queer" was initially to insist he isn't a homophobe, and then more recently to say "it was taken out of context but I make no excuses" :wacko:

Edited by Zac Quinn

58 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Had a google to see what he'd done. In a list of his transgressions, one shitty tabloid includes

MAY 2013 – Shares a romp with two hookers – but insists on keeping his
socks on.

How dare he have cold toes, the rotter!

I love the use of the word "insists" here. As if she was like "mate, you have to take them off, I'm sorry it's just one of those rules" and he's like "absolutely not, the socks stay on, it's a complete dealbreaker for me, I insist on it" so she goes "right, well I'm off then" and he's gone "err wait one fucking minute there pal, I paid for your services and you were never up front about this exclusion in the contract before the point of sale. If you walk out that door I will have to report you to the relevant ombudsman, and I think they'd take a very dim view of your practices here, a very dim view indeed". So she's then reluctantly re-entered the room and they've come to an arrangement that he pays more and he gets to keep on his socks.

I don't even know who this person is.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

53 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I love the use of the word "insists" here. As if she was like "mate, you have to take them off, I'm sorry it's just one of those rules" and he's like "absolutely not, the socks stay on, it's a complete dealbreaker for me, I insist on it" so she goes "right, well I'm off then" and he's gone "err wait one fucking minute there pal, I paid for your services and you were never up front about this exclusion in the contract before the point of sale. If you walk out that door I will have to report you to the relevant ombudsman, and I think they'd take a very dim view of your practices here, a very dim view indeed". So she's then reluctantly re-entered the room and they've come to an arrangement that he pays more and he gets to keep on his socks.

I don't even know who this person is.

Great work, Lawn!

And @Scruffylovemonster's 'confused koala' was a cracker!

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2017 at 11:27 AM, fatyeti24 said:

Many thanks. 

And then to rip off another song more than any song has ever been ripped off ever. Such a bell end. Don't know what his shitty song was called but it ripped off another shitty song, Man Who Can't Be Moved, maybe?

The only good thing about this shiteshow is the fact it's been a long time since the last festival and the next one is getting closer.

Apart from little mix. Don't mind them which says it all. 

And radiohead before I get any shit, they just not as tuneful.

And Nick Cave, as above.

1 hour ago, sunnydaysblue said:

He's put his own stamp on this song completely. It's better than Robyn's 

I'm usually firmly in the 'you're entitled to your opinion' camp but no no no and more no. Everything that could possibly be wrong with a cover is wrong with that cover - it's by a Simon Cowell talent show alumni, it's more successful and acknowledged than the original, people think it was written by him not Robyn, it completely misses the self-empowerment subtext of the original and turns it into a funeral march about feeling sorry for yourself, the fact it's been an important gay anthem for years but now straight people are appropriating it, the fact he has the most annoying 'singing' voice since the invention of singing, it's just horrendous

Also as a side note he copied the arrangement from a YouTube cover so he deserves no 'credit' for that either, please and thank you.

Edited by Zac Quinn

British Male Artist:

Think: David Bowie

Want: Craig David

British Female Artist:

Think: Emeli Sande

Want: Emeli Sande

British Group:

Think: The 1975

Want: Little Mix

International Group:

Think: Twenty One Pilots

Want: Twenty One Pilots

British Breakthrough Act:

Think: Rag'n'Bone Man

Want: Anne-Marie

Critics' Choice Award
(presented by Emeli Sandé):

Rag'n'Bone Man (Already Won)

MasterCard British Album of the Year:

Think: David Bowie - Blackstar

Want: The 1975 - I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It

British Single of the Year:

Think: Rockabye

Want: Rockabye

International Male Solo Artist:

Think: Bruno Mars

Want: Drake

International Female Solo Artist:

Think: Beyonce

Want: Sia

British Video:

Think: Rockabye

Want: Rockabye / Send My Love

Best Album

Would like to win: Bowie

1% chance might possibly win: Skepta, if they pull a ridiculous 'this is who David Bowie would like to win over him if he was still alive' stunt like at the Mercurys

99% certainty to win: Bowie

British Male

Would like to win: Skepta

Probably will win: David Bowie 

British Female

Should win: literally none of the nominees and furthermore this award should henceforth be renamed 'The Laura Mvula Award' as an apology for her ridiculous snub 

Probably will win: Ellie Goulding, despite not releasing anything in the whole of last year :rolleyes:

British Group 

Should win: Radiohead

Would like to win: The 1975

Probably will win: Little Mix

British Breakthrough

Should win: Stormzy

Probably will win: Skepta but I'll be happy with that, in fact I'll be happy with anything that isn't Rag'N'Bone Man BECAUSE HOW CAN YOU WIN CRITICS CHOICE AND BREAKTHROUGH IN THE SAME YEAR FUCK OFF

International Group

Should win: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Probably will win: Twenty One Pilots, to sustain the BRITs' proud tradition of clawing back some credibility with the nominees in the 'International' categories, only to give the statuette to the most populist and commercial nominee after all 

International Male

Would like to win: Bon Iver, or Leonard Cohen to hear the squeals of 'who' from the boring Capital FM listeners who watch this stuff

Probably will win: Drake, despite apparently also being an international group 

International Female

Should win: Beyonce 

Will win: if not Beyonce in the year she released Lemonade, we riot 

British Single 

Should win: Rockabye

Will win: Either Rockabye or Shout Out To My Ex 

British Video 

Should win: Hymn For The Weekend - a beautiful, thoughtful, cultural exploration of India featuring vibrant colours and lots of art and happy children 

Probably will win: History, despite being effortless trash consisting of nothing more than a black and white career highlights reel and the four of them waving their arms about in front of a brick wall, proving once again the decision to base any nominations list on who gets the most YouTube views as utterly egregious

The 'how on earth were they not nominated for an award' award

Should win: any one of Burn The Witch in Best Video, Laura Mvula in Best Album and British Female, Prince and Frank Ocean in International Male, AMSP in Best Album, honestly take your bloody pick :(

Edited by Zac Quinn