Download 2018

Hart Attack

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Their agents are doing quite well at getting their act out there; supporting GNR and Chilis and doing early slots at Soni, R+L and Download now. I think it'll pay off for them and they could get some high festival slots out of it.

I was really surprised to see them on that Chillis tour. They definitely don't seem to be going away any time soon. It will be interesting to see how they get on at Download as you'd think Copping would be reluctant to give them a really high slot due to his dislike of them, obviously money/punters talk, but are Babymetal's agents really ever going to be in a position to refuse to play unless they sub headline etc, especially when Sonisphere isn't a thing anymore. 

22 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Are you trying to kill the fest lol.

Infinitely more appealing to see Paramore and Queens of the Stone Age top the bill than have Linkin Park or Avenged Sevenfold headline again! I reckon if the fest doesn't start to offer these 'new' headliners sooner or later its death will be self-inflicted. 

10 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Infinitely more appealing to see Paramore and Queens of the Stone Age top the bill than have Linkin Park or Avenged Sevenfold headline again! I reckon if the fest doesn't start to offer these 'new' headliners sooner or later its death will be self-inflicted. 

While I agree, A7X clearly wouldn't have been a good choice this year...they weren't a strong choice when they were chosen 1st time.

I do think QOTSA are strong enough to tell enough as headliners for Download, Reading is their flatform really and they didn't touch Paramore in crowd size as a co-headliner.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

And Biffy / ADTR / AFI / PTV is any different? 

Yes!, as AFI aren't playing 3rd from top at Reading in a million years and also, although I may attend/I may not, Biffy are not a Download headliner, plus Weezer are nothing like ADTR and have never graced Download and probably won't.  I think there is enough there.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Yes!, as AFI aren't playing 3rd from top at Reading in a million years and also, although I may attend/I may not, Biffy are not a Download headliner, plus Weezer are nothing like ADTR and have never graced Download and probably won't.  I think there is enough there.

This post makes no sense 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Just fuck off with the Biffy aren't a Download headliner bollocks. Fuck right off and take every other fucking idiot who keeps saying that with you. It's absolute rubbish. 

My point was, Biffy / ADTR / AFI / PTV is very untypically Download. They've never had a day like it before. In the same way that Paramore / Weezer / Shikari would also be very untypically Download but totally feesible after this year hopefully opening the door to that sort of day. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Rancid is more wishful thinking than anything else. Linkin Park is really pessimistic, but I can see it happening for some reason. Don't they have a new album coming out this year?

Assumed it was out before the summer and that was why they're back. I just reckon it might be a bit odd seeing as they used to jump at the chance to book Linkin Park but instead booked a new headliner in Biffy. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Assumed it was out before the summer and that was why they're back. I just reckon it might be a bit odd seeing as they used to jump at the chance to book Linkin Park but instead booked a new headliner in Biffy. 

Perhaps even Copping has realised Linkin Park are a bit of a stale choice at this point. I'm sure he'd argue once a new album is out they're fair game though. 

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Just fuck off with the Biffy aren't a Download headliner bollocks. Fuck right off and take every other fucking idiot who keeps saying that with you. It's absolute rubbish. 

My point was, Biffy / ADTR / AFI / PTV is very untypically Download. They've never had a day like it before. In the same way that Paramore / Weezer / Shikari would also be very untypically Download but totally feesible after this year hopefully opening the door to that sort of day. 

Don't be annoyed that Copping had fuck all else to book to booked their last option after the idea of A7X completely fucked them!

Not feasible at all, ADTR are a heavier rock band and Weezer are not for a start.

4 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Reading very rarely has 3 typical Kerrang style bands in a top 3 when a pop punk band headlines anyway. 

Paramore had QOTSA and Vampire Weekend, Blink had Macklemore subbing. 

Much more likely to get that top 3 at Download now. 

Download will never have Paramore Weezer and Shikari in a top 3...I'm almost sure of it and I'll accept it if it happens, but considering Reading has had Weezer times over the years, two of which before Download came about I admit but in all those years, Reading still managed to get them whereas Download haven't.

The point is that all 3 are very much Reading bands, take the Kerrang element out of it because why does it really matter where a rock associated band is featured in Kerrang, NME or what the hell it is?. All mags changed year after year depending on who they choose to bum for that next 6 months to a year.

28 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Perhaps even Copping has realised Linkin Park are a bit of a stale choice at this point. I'm sure he'd argue once a new album is out they're fair game though. 

Next year will 4 years since they headlined, it's usually 3/4 years gap, it'll happen again no problem. 

Copping had fuck all else to book and got Biffy as a last option. How long have you been the man's PA? You're talking rubbish. Biffy have played Download something like ten times which ties them with KoRn as the band who have played it the most, or something to that effect. 

Copping has repeatedly said that he wants Paramore as a headliner and Shikari have twice headlined the second stage at Download, which is higher than they have ever played at R&L, so that puts to bed the 'Reading bands' nonsense. 

And until this year you would have never thought you would see a top three of Biffy / ADTR / AFI and don't say you would have because you'll just be lying. Nobody would have expected a top three like that, especially after the dinosaur fest that was last year's main stage. 

But then again, you're his personal assistant aren't you, so you already know all of his thoughts and opinions. 

Edited by Andre91