Download 2018

Hart Attack

Friday

Nine Inch Nails / Enter Shikari / Rancid / Don Broco / Black Veil Brides / Hatebreed / Jamie Lenman

Megadeth

Saturday

Avenged Sevenfold / Marilyn Manson / Stone Sour / Parkway Drive / Trivium / Karnivool / Arcane Roots / Turbowolf

Brand New

Sunday

Metallica / Evanescence / Alice in Chains / Ghost / The Darkness / Andrew WK / In This Moment / Municipal Waste

At The Drive In

1 hour ago, SOAD said:

Friday

Nine Inch Nails / Enter Shikari / Rancid / Don Broco / Black Veil Brides / Hatebreed / Jamie Lenman

Megadeth

Saturday

Avenged Sevenfold / Marilyn Manson / Stone Sour / Parkway Drive / Trivium / Karnivool / Arcane Roots / Turbowolf

Brand New

Sunday

Metallica / Evanescence / Alice in Chains / Ghost / The Darkness / Andrew WK / In This Moment / Municipal Waste

At The Drive In

Looks pretty nice, I'd definitely buy a ticket for it. 

Few opinions: I think Trivium could still play third down Main or headline Second. I don't think they've fallen as far as fifth down at Download. I don't think they'd put Megadeth headlining Second either. I can see Stone Sour subbing and I think Parkway would be third down (or Second headliner) and ATDI aren't big enough to headline second but I think they could probably sub it. 

After seeing the Def Leppard stuff, I'm leaning towards them more :(

Edited by Andre91

10 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Def Leppard can fuck right off. Pendulum got a bigger crowd than them so if they're that desperate Pendulum can headline. Can't see them passing up on BMTH assuming they're about

Def Leppard would be arse, yes. But Pendulum could never headline. Their comeback has been beyond underwhelming.

I definitely see A7X and Metallica being two. 

Second stage headliners I'm going for are: Ghost, Black Veil Brides & Parkway Drive.

Edited by Andre91

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Def Leppard would be arse, yes. But Pendulum could never headline. Their comeback has been beyond underwhelming. They're one of the most dated sounded acts I can think of. 

Second stage headliners I'm going for are: Ghost, Black Veil Brides & Parkway Drive.

Pendulum wasn't serious just my way of saying fuck def leppard and how fucking shite they are. 

I wonder if they'd book the prodigy as a sub now. Maybe before BMTH

Edited by Steve1000

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

Pendulum wasn't serious just my way of saying fuck def leppard and how fucking shite they are. 

I wonder if they'd book the prodigy as a sub now. Maybe before BMTH

I guessed as much :P 

I'm not sure with The Prodigy. I guess they could still headline alongside two big hitters, so would they stick them as sub and get rid of a headliner from their already small pool? 

If BMTH are about, Enter Shikari are the perfect sub for them I think. 

I get the impression they've fallen off abit so they must be proper desperate for them to headline

BMTH // The Prodigy // Marylou Manson // Papa Roach // Neck Deep // Frank Carter

Ghost // Killswitch Engage

Avenged Sevenfold // Stone Sour // Parkway Drive // Black Veil Brides // Amon Amarth // The Amity Affliction 

Panic! At The Disco // Rise Against

Metallica // Nine Inch Nails // Volbeat // At The Drive In // Anthrax // Marmozets

Babymetal // Frank Turner

Very strong undercard to make up for 2 slightly weaker headliners 

Edited by Steve1000

8 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I get the impression they've fallen off abit so they must be proper desperate for them to headline

BMTH // The Prodigy // Marylou Manson // Papa Roach // Neck Deep // Frank Carter

Avenged Sevenfold // Stone Sour // Parkway Drive // Black Veil Brides // Amon Amarth // The Amity Affliction 

Metallica // Nine Inch Nails // Volbeat // At The Drive In // Anthrax // Marmozets

Replace BabyMetal with Rancid and got yourself a line up. 

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Looks pretty nice, I'd definitely buy a ticket for it. 

Few opinions: I think Trivium could still play third down Main or headline Second. I don't think they've fallen as far as fifth down at Download. I don't think they'd put Megadeth headlining Second either. I can see Stone Sour subbing and I think Parkway would be third down (or Second headliner) and ATDI aren't big enough to headline second but I think they could probably sub it. 

After seeing the Def Leppard stuff, I'm leaning towards them more :(

Fair play on most of that. Just a few replies. Trivium did fifth down last time they did main and don't think they would go up from there considering they have arguably lost popularity since then. I agree Megadeth will probably play main again when they do play but was just the only way I could fit them on what with the new album coming out. Plus they would be a good alternative to NIN and of course Slayer did the same this year. Stone Sour could easily sub but they played a lot lower than expected last time imo and I'd put them on a similar level to FFDP who wouldn't be a surprise subbing as well. Parkway I just dont see having got THAT much bigger since their last time at Download. They were scheduled to be fairly low at Reading. Lower than Pierce the Veil were the year before and they only played fourth down this year. ATDI would be a good second stage sub. Maybe to someone a bit more current like Rise Against.

Def Leppard I could see taking a step down like both The Offspring and Faith No More did. Maybe be a more classic rock style second stage headliner to go against the more alternative Nine Inch Nails.

Edited by SOAD

13 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I'd be pretty happy with this lineup. Not sure NIN would be willing to sub to Metallica again after how much they apparently hated the 2009 fest tour where they subbed them loads. Maybe NIN under BMTH would work better although I still see them headlining if they decide to do Download. I don't see The Prodigy dropping down from headliner as Download still need that option if they have a sparse year. I'm not sure if Amon Amarth will still be touring next year as surely they will need to do a new album before coming back. Decent slot for them though. Panic! At The Disco seem perfect for Reading on their return and I think Rise Against would still be booked as a second stage headliner. Don't think they would put Babymetal against any of the main stage headliners. Maybe if second closed early again then it could work. However I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of this happened. Some bands will probably do Reading over Download like Neck Deep but generally looks good.

I've started properly thinking that BMTH will be pied off for another year and the third headliner will be the Sunday oldie type one, and it won't be Metallica who I'd assume are Saturday. No idea who though; does Copping want Bon Jovi? Is Axl damaging enough to the AC/DC brand that they'd be best off doing festies? Are Van Halen still alive? :dontknow:

32 minutes ago, losing44 said:

BMTH / Enter Shikari

Megadeth 

Metallica / Ghost

Weezer

Tool (if not then NIN) / Marilyn Manson 

Stone Sour 

Would like to see this, feel it's balanced! 

Ghost aren't ready to sub (yet). They aren't big enough and they kind of rely on darkness so I think second stage headliner is the best place for them in 2018. 

@dentalplan I'm also thinking BMTH aren't going to be around. Are Guns still doing Guns in 2018? Axl was supposedly excellent with AC/DC but that strikes me as more of a one off thing. Van Halen haven't been to Europe since, what, '96? so I don't see them ever being an option. 

NIN, A7X & Metallica? 

Edited by Andre91

45 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I've started properly thinking that BMTH will be pied off for another year and the third headliner will be the Sunday oldie type one, and it won't be Metallica who I'd assume are Saturday. No idea who though; does Copping want Bon Jovi? Is Axl damaging enough to the AC/DC brand that they'd be best off doing festies? Are Van Halen still alive? :dontknow:

just what im saying, bon jovi is a HUGE contender for next year, they would be perfect for a sunday headliner next year, Def leppard are weaker than anyone else so they can really just fuck off.

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I'm also thinking BMTH aren't going to be around. Are Guns still doing Guns in 2018? Axl was supposedly excellent with AC/DC but that strikes me as more of a one off thing. Van Halen haven't been to Europe since, what, '96? so I don't see them ever being an option. 

Fair about Van Halen. Axl/DC is coming back though by many accounts, and there's no confirmation of any GNR activity next year yet. There's been talk about GNR having a break to keep demand for a few years' time - I think Slash is meant to be writing with Myles and co again too. But yeah it's just whether Angus and his band of replacements will be worth going for really.

3 minutes ago, seant007 said:

just what im saying, bon jovi is a HUGE contender for next year, they would be perfect for a sunday headliner next year, Def leppard are weaker than anyone else so they can really just fuck off.

Yeah, if they're touring then Bon Jovi do certainly come into play. It's quite possible Pearl Jam are touring too and I think they'd suit Sunday as well, or be enough of a draw to push Metallica over to Sunday as well. But they'll have to go all out for PJ again and try and encourage them it's not a metal festival and it'd be good for 'em.

I stand by Def Leppard being a brilliant sub for an hour of hits but the thought of them headlining is god awful, yeah.

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Also, there wasn't a 'classic' headliner on the Sunday in 2011 or 2013 so I wouldn't pay too much attention to that. 2009 started that idea (with bloody Def Leppard then). 

But more often than not there is, right? :P I don't believe anyone just books KISS for no reason, they have to have fallen prey to their own guidelines! Look at the Sundays they've booked since 2013 - it's all down the same line since then isn't it?

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But more often than not there is, right? :P I don't believe anyone just books KISS for no reason, they have to have fallen prey to their own guidelines! Look at the Sundays they've booked since 2013 - it's all down the same line since then isn't it?

Yeah, more often than not since 2009. But it isn't concrete :P 

Pearl Jam would be great. Good point about them, though. I wonder as well if them dropping out in 2013 will have any bearing on if they're considered / approached now or in future? 

Dont think Metallica are that far from Maiden and Sabbath so I'm sure they'd easily do Sunday.

2 hours ago, SOAD said:

I'd be pretty happy with this lineup. Not sure NIN would be willing to sub to Metallica again after how much they apparently hated the 2009 fest tour where they subbed them loads. Maybe NIN under BMTH would work better although I still see them headlining if they decide to do Download. I don't see The Prodigy dropping down from headliner as Download still need that option if they have a sparse year. I'm not sure if Amon Amarth will still be touring next year as surely they will need to do a new album before coming back. Decent slot for them though. Panic! At The Disco seem perfect for Reading on their return and I think Rise Against would still be booked as a second stage headliner. Don't think they would put Babymetal against any of the main stage headliners. Maybe if second closed early again then it could work. However I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of this happened. Some bands will probably do Reading over Download like Neck Deep but generally looks good.

Fair points, didnt know about the Metallica/ NIN tour so maybe not, though I'd expect every NIN fan to hate BMTH and vice versa. I think The Prodigy would be so shit as a headliner now if they were desperate they'd bump a sub or book someone slightly less suited (Royal Blood, Jack White maybe). I've never actually seen BabyMetal but I'd get the impression they'd find the dark useful for the stage show. Rise Againsts last album did absolute fuck all for them, probably due a bump down as much as I love them. It's clear from the Avalance stage this year they're targeting the Slam Dunk audience, so Neck Deep, Panic!, BMTH would be perfect for them. Maybe even MCR when they're back

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Jack White would never headline Download. Waaaay too far removed (solo or the Stripes) from what Download is. Agreed on Rise Against, I think they'd sub second stage now. Neck Deep headlining the Avalanche is a great shout, can definitely see that happening. 

Might be, not listened to much of his solo stuff but seemed about as heavy as QOTSA 

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

Dont think Metallica are that far from Maiden and Sabbath so I'm sure they'd easily do Sunday.

I know it seems like one bullshit pattern on top of another but Saturday tends to be a marquee name to bring in day ticketers (easiest day to sell tickets to obviously) whilst also being a key point of the weekend. The likes of Avenged and NIN and BMTH just aren't gonna do that. Would be looking at seriously massive bands to make pushing Metallica out to Sunday a reasonable idea - Foo Fighters, Guns N' Roses, maybe Pearl Jam.