Download 2018

Hart Attack

Just now, dentalplan said:

Will it be a good choice if his voice is decent? I thought he sounded impeccable on the final UK tour, so maybe if there’s a few months clear in the calendar before June it should go down okay.

If he can sing, I’m happy with him playing. As you say, maybe a rest and he’ll be fine

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Will it be a good choice if his voice is decent? I thought he sounded impeccable on the final UK tour, so maybe if there’s a few months clear in the calendar before June it should go down okay.

If he could still sing and actually get about the stage I don't think anybody would be upset by it, hopefully Download is one of the first gigs he's doing and that his voice is at it's best, but I don't hold out hope.

13 minutes ago, Red Day said:

On the face of it Ozzy is a legend and a mix of his solo stuff and sabbath is great. Down side, anyone who witnessed him in 2016 will know his voice is totally gone. Poor choice

I remember seeing him at ozzfest  year before download started, it was shot then.

24 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Ozzy has announced a full tour this morning so maybe the full Download announcement wasn't ready yet but they had to announce him this morning.

Bit lame that they only announced him.

Totally agree. Seems really strange that he’s only announced, particularly if others are A7x and BMTH. Neither are worth a singular announcement. Not sure what’s going on. Can’t make my mind up if Ozzy is a good or bad announcement for ticket sales. He’s a legend, sabbath were brilliant, his solo stuff is fine, but having seen him in 2016 and watched some ozzfest vids, it just sounds awful. Sometimes legends need to know when to call it a day. I rather remember the great times I saw Sabbath

25 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

This a prediction or info? Hilariously shit if true.

Prediction. What with Avenged Sevenfold already announced for Download Madrid, I can see them being announced next and I think Bring Me The Horizon are the most likely as the Metallica replacement. I can't imagine Download having scooped Guns N' Roses, Metallica and Ozzy Osbourne for the same year. 

Mind you, if we're still bereft of announcements by the end of November, we're heading straight for Iron Maiden - aren't they announcing European dates in December?

12 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Mind you, if we're still bereft of announcements by the end of November, we're heading straight for Iron Maiden - aren't they announcing European dates in December?

Believe so.

I mean, they could do worse than A7X and BMTH. I'm totally unsure on where the latter fall though in terms of pull - That's the Spirit is the best selling "metal" album in the UK of the past three years, aside from Metallica and Maiden, and they have international recognition stateside too. They're a logical new headliner.

But that arena tour late last year did not shift well. Was it because of a surplus of close dates? (Very few acts sell well across Manchester, Sheffield and Nottingham arenas combined in this genre demographic.) Was it due to a substantial price hike people weren't willing to shell out? Was it because, fourteen months after release, they had really missed their moment? Or was it because enough scuttlebutt had done the rounds cementing their frontman's reputation as "a bit of a tw*t"? (Paraphrasing.)

This festival needs new headline acts, proven or otherwise. Ozzy solo should at least shore in a significant bunch of punters and casuals from his legend/"farewell" tour perspective, even if he will play Sabbath tracks (especially if he plays Sabbath tracks for some). Maybe a gamble on BMTH is what they should do in lieu of Metallica - or especially in lieu of Maiden, as their prospective appearance will make it three in five calendar years.

Though the concern is arguably warranted for sustainability in regards to BMTH and A7X playing. The latter are proven, yes, but certainly feel like a weaker shout that all three bookings last year - which is sad, given they were the last "new" headliner broken by the festival.