Orbital?

HoTWire

5 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Aye, I was at the LAST EVER Orbital gig at Glastonbury 2004 too. ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3652435.stm

it was awesome, stood there teary eyed, thinking I am part of history..

then the bastards run out of money and reform

still love them like

Was it the Orb in 93 and orbital in 94? Have I got that right way round? Two sets that snapped my tiny, nascent mind. Never been the same since. Every Glastonbury since has been me chasing that feeling.

Edited by Mardy

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

So was I. 

Still saw orbital at Glastonbury though ;)

Priorities innit, I know which has stood me in best stead. 

I doth my hat, 

i didn't even know Glastonbury existed, the only tape i had was the dirty dancing sound track, and I had Michael Jackson Thriller on Beta max. that was the full extant of my musical knowledge 

40 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I bet it was ,. unfortunately I was doing my GCSE's that year;)

Unfortunately I was only 3.

My dad got me into Orbital, he was going to take me to Glasto in 04 but Mum thought I was too young. Went the following year since White Stripes were on.

I always remember being so gutted that i'd missed out on seeing Orbital. Then they came back and I saw them 5 times in 5 years :)

11 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Unfortunately I was only 3.

My dad got me into Orbital, he was going to take me to Glasto in 04 but Mum thought I was too young. Went the following year since White Stripes were on.

I always remember being so gutted that i'd missed out on seeing Orbital. Then they came back and I saw them 5 times in 5 years :)

I liked the white stripes in 05, very tight set 

1 hour ago, dirty_dog said:

the other 2 bands that was mentioned was Alt J and The Pixies

Would be amazing. Someone (you?) on the latitude forum suggested alt-j had been asked but didn't know whether they'd agreed

edit: looks like alt-j might be ruled out due to tour dates. In Europe 6,7,8 12th July. Sunday 9th is possible but it'd mean coming back to the uk to go straight out to European festivals again

Edited by evannn

Now, I'm second to no man in my apprection of you, @bennyhana22. You're a man of taste and distinction. On this occasion though, you're empirically wrong. Snivilisation is the ultimate, quintessential Orbital album. I'm not saying In Sides isn't good, just not as good. Bang on 'Sad but True' and lose yourself in it.

I went back to it today, mainly as a result of this thread. Man, what a piece of work. Tied up with so many of my youthful memories. Afternoons down the snooker hall, evenings shagging that unsuitable bird whose fella worked nights on the ferries, sitting with the other wasters sharing a bag of weed and half a dozen cans in the bus shelter overlooking the harbour in Margate and talking shit about escaping. Being chucked out of Barnacles on a regular basis for acting the c**t, then always, always being allowed back in the next lunchtime. Heady days of late summer 94, just before I left England, and that album was the soundtrack. I'm not one for nostalgia but that album, I had a proper moment to it walking home from the metro tonight.

That said, no interest in watching them these days, really.  What are they back together for? pay the mortgage and their kid's (probably now grandkids?) school fees. Nah, you're alright. 

Also, why the fuck have they only reissued Green and Brown on vinyl? where's the rest of the catalogue.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, evannn said:

Would be amazing. Someone (you?) on the latitude forum suggested alt-j had been asked but didn't know whether they'd agreed

edit: looks like alt-j might be ruled out due to tour dates. In Europe 6,7,8 12th July. Sunday 9th is possible but it'd mean coming back to the uk to go straight out to European festivals again

ye that could rule them out, they have been asked though

I'll be honest, I'd be amazed if they got back together.

Apparently they really don't get on, and the person who told me that worked with them back before the first break up. 

Supposedly Paul's 8:58 album was supposed to be the next Orbital album (check it out if you haven't it's great!)

But Paul said Phil had let him down (he didn't go into detail in the interview as he clearly didn't wanna talk about it)

If they do come back though, i hope Paul's track about Trump is on the album and their output is similar across the board. If you haven't heard that then  go to Orbital's FB page or search  "no brainer" in FB. It's class, wicked use of Wizard of Oz samples.

Edited by WS_Jack_III

7 hours ago, dirty_dog said:

the other 2 bands that was mentioned was Alt J and The Pixies

Really been blown away by Alt-J since last year. Went along to a gig with a mate (wasn't too fussed, what I'd heard of their's was average I thought - radio, Left Hand Free etc.), but within two songs of their gig at Wolvo Civic, I was hooked. Absolutely phenomenal performance.  Seen them 3 times since. Hope their 3rd album is at least a solid 7/10. 

Lionel Richie into Alt-J, Sunday 2015 is one of my all time happiest Glasto memories. The whole atmosphere, weather, mood, music, was utterly perfect to me.

• Upvote 1