Green Day

504329lt

19 minutes ago, henry bear said:

What, so the 99.5% of Glasto goers who don't lurk here are just 'the masses' who slavishly only watch the big names?

Not what I said at all! And you act like I'm the 1st person that's said that the generally view on here isn't of that of the outside world.....couldn't be less accurate.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not what I said at all! And you act like I'm the 1st person that's said that the generally view on here isn't of that of the outside world.....couldn't be less accurate.

You did say, and I quote, 

17 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don't see anyone really anywhere bar Ed or GD.

4 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Is anyone else going to their arena shows this week? I was surprised to see as much love for Green Day in this thread, but it has made me even more excited for Wednesday. 

Yeah, Im off to the o2 on wednesday and looking forward to it. Setlist looking good, seeing them is just going to make me want them at Glasto more

4 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Is anyone else going to their arena shows this week? I was surprised to see as much love for Green Day in this thread, but it has made me even more excited for Wednesday. 

Been trying for months to find a face value ticket and didn't manage.  Enjoy. My friend went tonight and loved it

46 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Doesn't mean they are going to be the only big acts that night, WHs will still have something fair big but the guy doesn't sell what he does for people to not be bothered. 

You are now saying the total opposite of what you first said, and now saying what every sane person thought, which was that there will be people who wouldn't see Sheeran and Green Day.

Is Gazza not basically saying that what with Sheeran being so huge and Green Day also likely to be a massive pull that the other stages will be a lot quieter than usual? Although to be fair I doubt it'll be anything like when the Stones headlined when some of the main stages (Park, for example) looked like a dead zone from the videos.

Still don't see it happening though - if I were in Green Day I'd be wondering why the fuck Foo Fighters and Metallica get to headline but we're relegated to the second stage.

I saw Green Day in leeds last night - I'm in no way a fan, I got the tickets for the missus for Christmas (we live on the south coast, leeds were the only ones I could get) and I tell you what, they were brilliant. Real showmen, properly entertaining, very engaging even with casual twats like me. 

They played for a good 2 and a half hours so get in early doors if you're seeing em on this tour - and I'd definitely go see em at Glastonbury if they headline the Other. Which they would absolutely smash to bits :lol:

Edited by balti-pie

21 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I saw Green Day in leeds last night - I'm in no way a fan, I got the tickets for the missus for Christmas (we live on the south coast, leeds were the only ones I could get) and I tell you what, they were brilliant. Real showmen, properly entertaining, very engaging even with casual twats like me. 

They played for a good 2 and a half hours so get in early doors if you're seeing em on this tour - and I'd definitely go see em at Glastonbury if they headline the Other. Which they would absolutely smash to bits :lol:

To follow up this, it's a four-star show. No video-screens but most other stadium spectacles crammed in (pyro, obscene lighting rig, additional costumes). Musically, they weren't note-perfect and Armstrong's voice is much more rough-hewn than even their latest record - but he can still carry the songs. It was a punk rock protest party, a jamboree of japes.

I've seen a few better shows in my time - I've seen a better one this year already with St Paul and the Broken Bones - but I have little doubt that they'd win over the Other Stage. To be honest, the whole talk of them "not big enough to headline Glastonbury anymore" is a bit ridiculous; they may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there's a huge cross-generational magnetism there. Reminds me of bands like RHCP and Maiden who can keep crowds of all ages captured, even through weaker material.

32 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Going to Manchester tonight. What time did they come on last night?

47 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Is Gazza not basically saying that what with Sheeran being so huge and Green Day also likely to be a massive pull that the other stages will be a lot quieter than usual? Although to be fair I doubt it'll be anything like when the Stones headlined when some of the main stages (Park, for example) looked like a dead zone from the videos.

Still don't see it happening though - if I were in Green Day I'd be wondering why the fuck Foo Fighters and Metallica get to headline but we're relegated to the second stage.

Agree with all your points here.

I think your second point also highlights how much kudos they will deserve if the rumour actually comes to fruition.

Just now, jparx said:

Agree with all your points here.

I think your second point also highlights how much kudos they will deserve if the rumour actually comes to fruition.

If they've managed to pull this off then it'll be huge, especially if the rumours of Gaga and Robbie come true as well - there's three more acts who could've been stuck as headliners and many wouldn't have batted an eyelid. All seems too good to be true though and we get these kind of rumours every year - Glastonbury would piss all over any other festival in the world this year to a silly degree if they've managed to get those acts.

I will concur with GD live - can't stand more than about 8-10 of their songs in passing nowadays but I'd love to see them again. Proper showmen and their live show is great. I still remember when they headlined Reading after 50 Pence got bottled off with fondness :D

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

If they are playing surely they'd have been approached by the Other Stage with an offer that they can accept or not. No one's being relegated and Metallica didn't feel the Other Stage was beneath them before the switch to the Pyramid. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Pretty much yes, the people will be nowhere else got taken a bit literally.

They were outstanding tonight. They're clearly a headliner putting on a show like that and having as many hits as they do, I won't believe for a second they're playing the other stage until I see it.

Loved that they still make room for a couple of pre Dookie tracks, new stuff was mostly very good too. Revolution Radio and Bang Bang got the crowd going more than Hitchin A Ride, bizarrely. Only negative is they didn't do Brain Stew but can't have it all. 

• Upvote 1

Green Day were brilliant tonight. Nostalgia trip for me. They are a band that mean something to me from my youth. Yes its cheesy, but its uplifting and fun.

Seen them 7 times now, that was the first time they had done 2000 light years away. Loved it.

My only issue with them at glastonbury is that audience participation is a big part of the show. Would the crowd know the tunes as much?

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Green Day were brilliant tonight. Nostalgia trip for me. They are a band that mean something to me from my youth. Yes its cheesy, but its uplifting and fun.

Seen them 7 times now, that was the first time they had done 2000 light years away. Loved it.

My only issue with them at glastonbury is that audience participation is a big part of the show. Would the crowd know the tunes as much?

I reckon so. There are plenty of Green Day songs that pretty much everyone knows or at least half-knows. American Idiot, Basket Case, When I Come Around, Good Riddance, Holiday, Boulevard to name a few... Whether you love or hate Green Day pretty much everyone who goes to Glastonbury Festival would know 5 or 6 songs at the very least, potentially more like 10. Or maybe I'm being massively biased.

18 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

I reckon so. There are plenty of Green Day songs that pretty much everyone knows or at least half-knows. American Idiot, Basket Case, When I Come Around, Good Riddance, Holiday, Boulevard to name a few... Whether you love or hate Green Day pretty much everyone who goes to Glastonbury Festival would know 5 or 6 songs at the very least, potentially more like 10. Or maybe I'm being massively biased.

i think this is spot on - i fall into that bracket.  Not a 'fan' as such but would definitely go see them, they are responsible for some classics..... lots of the glasto crowd are 90s kids

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

Yeah this is my thinking too, they are way more accessible than Metallica are. Metal is a much more niche thought of genre...generally because it is than Rock which is Green Day and imo them topping the Other stage is a completely different game to Metallica.