Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

11 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

The area around The Blues and Gully is alright I think, it's when you start to crest the hill and begin to approach the Sonic Tent that it all get s a bit bleak.

The Gully was parked at the far / Other Stage side of Silver Hayes last year.  I tend to agree that it worked a bit better when it was down by The Blues.

2 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

It just has the feeling of a bit of a thoroughfare to me, not sure what more they could do with creating more of a interesting lay out of the stages etc, I tend to only spend time down there on the Thursday (if I can be bothered with the crush between Other Stage and Silver Hayes) or during the day at one of the Boat Parties they put on outside the WOW stage. I don't think any of my mates ever plan to spend any time there, and we are all into the music that typically gets played in the area too.

Echoes my feeling exactly. I find it frustrating that the 'Dance Village' seems to hold so little interest for me, and that all of 'that stuff' that I enjoy at the festival seems to be in the SEC (except for some excellent times at the Beat Hotel).

Silver Hayes should be so much more. I wonder if the stage design and positioning needs a bit of an overhaul. Do they need to invent a new venue that can be a genuine contender for the dancier punters, both during the day, and at night to take the pressure off the SEC? I have to admit to seeing it as hugely focused on garage, grime etc. which is fine, and I want to be represented at Glastonbury, but it's never going to get me to SH for long. Maybe the issue is with me and not the area?

Is it rammed full of grimy kidz for all of that stuff? Certainly my youngest's rugby mates would be all over it like a rash, given the junk they blare out through a tinny wi-fi speaker in the changing room...

Ben

To be fair to them, they are trying to change it a bit, adding another way in/out of that field last year. Still plenty to do though. There's a HUGE space in the middle of that field, which they could/should use - even if it's just for seating like they do outside the Glade. Adding more walkways is another really easy win, and I don't understand why they don't do that.

I spent the Friday night in there on my todd last year (watching Stormy,  Nao and Proteje) and really enjoyed myself.  The crowds were fine (albeit maybe that was influenced by the acts that I saw) and it was about the only part of the site I was at all weekend where there were places to sit (in the Pussy Parlure and at the back of The Gully).

My main gripe would be lack of a bar near the Other Stage end and the generally crummy food offerings.

21 minutes ago, Bradders said:

A huge, cushiony seating area would be great round there. Would be a nice thing to hang around at rather than just being a few tents with DJs on.

Totally. It just to have the i.d spiral tent/area which played chill out/ambient, a tent to sit down in and a big area outside with loads of tables. Shame it disappeared because its exactly what that area and the festival is missing 

I love the fact that it sounds like I was right in thinking most people on here aren't huge fans of SH, and yet you're all desperate for their announcement.

I only went there on the wednesday/thursday (I cant remember) in 2015 to see JESuS, and it was so rammed that it put me off going back there at all for the rest of the weekend.

Silver Hayes just needs more open space. It's so congested all the bloody time - whether there's big acts on, or no acts. I'm hoping, if nothing else, this lineup will shed a bit more light on some stage placings. 

I think in general that open/exposed part of the site is less appealing. Most people arent that into the Other Stage either and i hated when the JPT was down in that corner. Presumably there are some sound considerations as it's closer to the village.

New path would have improved things massively last year only to be blown out the water with the mud.

Enjoyed a few things there last year: Blues Thursday night was ace, plus stumbling into a Nao set in the bar was a goodie. Kano at Sonic was a highlight (although it's an awful stage) and Yakumo Orchestra at the gully was the best thing we stumbled on last year and the turning point of what had been a pretty miserable sunday up to then.

Edited by Nduja
This is better

12 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Echoes my feeling exactly. I find it frustrating that the 'Dance Village' seems to hold so little interest for me, and that all of 'that stuff' that I enjoy at the festival seems to be in the SEC (except for some excellent times at the Beat Hotel).

Silver Hayes should be so much more. I wonder if the stage design and positioning needs a bit of an overhaul. Do they need to invent a new venue that can be a genuine contender for the dancier punters, both during the day, and at night to take the pressure off the SEC? I have to admit to seeing it as hugely focused on garage, grime etc. which is fine, and I want to be represented at Glastonbury, but it's never going to get me to SH for long. Maybe the issue is with me and not the area?

Is it rammed full of grimy kidz for all of that stuff? Certainly my youngest's rugby mates would be all over it like a rash, given the junk they blare out through a tinny wi-fi speaker in the changing room...

Ben

For me, I think the music that they put on there is fine, the Sonic tent is dreadful, I think it just has this desolate feeling to it because of the great big expanse in the middle and at times the wind seems to howl through it - I guess the sound design would be a big issue if they rejigged the field to make it feel less like a corridor with a few tents along each side.

I feel like it is disappointing because it has the potential to be really good, it's an area with aesthetically interesting stages on the most part but it just doesn't feel like it has an identity. Then when you've just been hanging out in the park, west holts, se, Greenfields etc. It seems like a bit of a wasteland. Guess the mud doesn't help or that depressing looking bar

The Blues and Pussy venues are great and the Gully is in a much better spot now but the whole area does have a bit of a wasteland feel to it.

Half the problem is that the area has no natural features likes tree's, banking or valleys to break up the view like other areas have. I've always thought that they could try doing an old SE corner style there and purposely build alleyways to break it up a bit. Some art installations or something like the old LOVE sign would be good. 

Even though there are lots of acts going on there, it still has that feeling when walking though that not much is happening there....I've sometimes wondered if the stages are actually open!

Edited by Keithy

Yeah, SH needs a serious re-think I'd say.  More often than not the tents are rammed for the acts that I might conceivably want to see there, I've ended up heading there a few times then seeing how rammed it was and thinking - nah, no thanks.  It does have some merits though, The Blues can be fun and I've had great fun in Pussy Parleur (which I actually quite like as a venue)

Edited by merago
Typo

Silver Hayes just comes across as a massive after thought. It's super, super pants imo. Craig David was mega in Sonic last year, but aside from that the whole area lacks character and feels like a hodge podge of stages/tents plonked in the middle of a major junction. At any other festival it would be perfectly fine, if not decent, but you expect a lot more from Glastonbury.

Edited by jparx

24 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

full of grimy kidz for all of that stuff? Certainly my youngest's rugby mates would be all over it like a rash, given the junk they blare out through a tinny wi-fi speaker in the changing room...

Ben

Ben's rugby coaching consists of 5 minutes of where they're going wrong in the scrum and 55 minutes of where they are going wrong in their choice of music.

You wouldn't see Gareth Williams listening to the grimy nonsense, you know. He was all about Explosions In the Sky.

Now drop and give me 20.