Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

10 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

It's a safe, sensible booking that no-one else has got. It's massive. It's brilliant.

truly couldn't name a single song of his with confidence (there's one at the moment with Castle in the title...).

When he comes on I'll probably already be in the Temple at the beginning of the 7 hour session to take me to the end of my festival. 

It's still brilliant for Glastonbury.

And there are enough stages that for there not to be someone/something of interest to you means that you're not trying hard enough!

I struggle to understand why people have such a problem with, say, Ed Sheeran, but revere Dolly. She's very sweet and super novelty. But the music is no better. Not really. It's just because she has huge kitsch value!

Ben

I was with you all the way until the Dolly comparison (he's got a wandering eye and a travelling mind; big ambitions and a little behind) ... but I will gloss over that.

For me Ed is the ideal booking; good enough for me to watch if nothing else is in but not good enough to make me worry about if anyone half decent clashes with him.

Worst case scenario my headliners are RH, FF and Ed... fantastic.

I struggle to understand why people have such a problem with, say, Ed Sheeran, but revere Dolly. She's very sweet and super novelty. But the music is no better. Not really. It's just because she has huge kitsch value!

Or because they think that only wallies are swayed by things like 'kitsch value' and can see past the hair and rhinestones to recognise that she's a total badass who has a killer way with a tune.

It's a safe, sensible booking that no-one else has got. It's massive. It's brilliant.

truly couldn't name a single song of his with confidence (there's one at the moment with Castle in the title...).

When he comes on I'll probably already be in the Temple at the beginning of the 7 hour session to take me to the end of my festival. 

It's still brilliant for Glastonbury.

And there are enough stages that for there not to be someone/something of interest to you means that you're not trying hard enough!

Ben

My admiration for Dolly Parton is mainly because of her bluegrass phase at the turn of the century.  Particularly this quite spectacular cover:

It's not a live track, presumably they were trying to avoid being taken down, it's a studio recording

5 minutes ago, richroet said:

Hoping for an announcement early next week as I go on holiday on Thursday and possibly no internet connection for a week.

Although would be a nice present to get home to as well so lets just say sometime this month please

I'll guess for sometime in the last week of the month. Maybe 2 weeks today

7 minutes ago, not worthy said:

9.5, just got a feeling that now Ed is out of the way it's coming earlier this year

I doubt Ed has ever made anyone but him self come faster before

but I can see the Legend being announced next week then poster week after

I think we'l have a 2014 situation where it comes mid balance payment week

i'm gonna throw my hat in and say first week of April.

I think we've had a lot for March

hoping that this now means it comes in march and I can do another "See" post - because whatever I predict the opposite happens 

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

But you're now in a vicious circle as you've predicted you'll be wrong which means you'll be right but then the opposite of that will happen so you'll be wrong but you've predicted that so you'll be right. But which right is right?

And then your predictions will eat their own tail and disappear into a vortex of their own making. 

Hahah

I guess we don't know 

how long after muse's announcement did the poster come? (Muse were the last headliner to be announced last year right?)

if it was only like two weeks then yeah we could get it at the end of march - but who knows

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Hahah

I guess we don't know

how long after muse's announcement did the poster come? (Muse were the last headliner to be announced last year right?)

if it was only like two weeks then yeah we could get it at the end of march - but who knows

Adele was the last announcmeent and the poster came two weeks later.

I'd be surprised if it comes soon due to the (underwhelming?) nature of Ed's 'announcement'. Painting the bear and that gig were big deals in their own right, so make sense to be separated from the rest. It feels like Ed's was a lot less planned and more of an afterthought so his name doesn't dissolve into the masses, leave us guessing whether he's a strong sub (stranger things have happened). 

Basically I think that they will want to put some distance between Ed and the poster, a week or 10 days at least.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Hahah

I guess we don't know 

Adele, and the poster came 11 days later.

20 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I'd be surprised if it comes soon due to the (underwhelming?) nature of Ed's 'announcement'. Painting the bear and that gig were big deals in their own right, so make sense to be separated from the rest. It feels like Ed's was a lot less planned and more of an afterthought so his name doesn't dissolve into the masses, leave us guessing whether he's a strong sub (stranger things have happened). 

Basically I think that they will want to put some distance between Ed and the poster, a week or 10 days at least.

The glastonbury lineup has never featured anything stranger than the second biggest pop star on the planet playing a sub slot below 3 smaller acts.

9 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

The glastonbury lineup has never featured anything stranger than the second biggest pop star on the planet playing a sub slot below 3 smaller acts.

Are people still doing the "Ed might sub" thing?

It sounded daft when people said it about Adele last year, it's even more ridiculous today.

33 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I think that while that might be true for people who are paying close attention (ie everyone on here) and following it minute by minute, but I'm not sure that people outside of that bubble will really care - they'll see a post on their facebook feed or an article on the BBC web site saying who the new headliner is, and then move on to the next thing.