Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I can't work it out why they have flown 11 hours to play a small gig to announce Glastonbury with nothing else scheduled over here.

I'm sure there are other things the Foo Fighters can do in Europe that we don't have to know about to make their flights worthwhile. They could, y'know, have a holiday here.

One thing's for sure - they certainly don't appear to be approaching this as just another festival appearance. They hyped the others with the map and passport thing but this is another level.

I like to see bands give a shit about playing Glastonbury - especially the headliners - instead of just going through the motions.

32 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

That takes me back Ben, listened to Scars of the Midwest when I was at Uni quite a bit, a very eerie sound if I recall!  

They've become very dear to me over the years and are my preferred choice when ranting about how so many really talented groups never get the recognition they deserve, whilst utter garbage garners accolade and riches. I have all six of their records on coloured vinyl and love them dearly, but Scars... remains their greatest achievement. And, as said, I'm lucky enough now to count their main man, Dunk, as a friend. And he's an absolutely top man. I now frequently try to convince him to come to Glastonbury as a punter so I can lead him astray!

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

They've become very dear to me over the years and are my preferred choice when ranting about how so many really talented groups never get the recognition they deserve, whilst utter garbage garners accolade and riches. I have all six of their records on coloured vinyl and love them dearly, but Scars... remains their greatest achievement. And, as said, I'm lucky enough now to count their main man, Dunk, as a friend. And he's an absolutely top man. I now frequently try to convince him to come to Glastonbury as a punter so I can lead him astray!

Ben

Completely agree with you, I've listened to some brilliant bands in the past who seemed to just disappear :( Good to see Blueneck on Spotify though :)

10 hours ago, McCor said:

Apologies... I am one of the poeple who aren't overly bothered about Foo's playing Glastonbury, but this story has me hooked!! That said, if there isn't a better clash, I'll probably see them...

No  Worries - just don't want lightning to strike twice :) and a I don't like radiohead or Ed the foos would be my choice

Are there many actually driving down tomorrow? Obviously it's worth it for the locals but I'm a 100 mile drive away & still tempted to chance it.  Got the day off as it goes & even if nothing comes of it & we can't get near the place it will still be a laugh, anyone else or just me?

On 2/22/2017 at 8:56 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Thanks, both - so we really think that they're playing the C&G? Great venue for those who get to go, if it is!

PJ - do you know Blueneck? Band local to Frome and their main man, Dunk, is a mate of mine. Saw them at the C&G a few years ago. The band played Avalon Café in 2014. Post-rock loveliness...

Ben

Just giving Scars of the Midwest a spin, had never heard of them before.  Loving it, glad you mentioned them!  

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I can't work it out why they have flown 11 hours to play a small gig to announce Glastonbury with nothing else scheduled over here.

I guess it's because he can't run from side to side of the Atlantic while carrying a guitar and gurning manically. I mean, he's a Rock God apparently, but not Jesus.

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

If anyone makes the trip down to Ciderset tomorrow and can't get in, there's always the option of seeing Nik Turner's Space Ritual at The King Arthur in Glastonbury town.

(Now that's what I call music)

Have seen space ritual a couple of times now, a decent night of space rock for anyone that ends up there.

Got to say, I've loved this. An absolute masterclass from the Foos in stirring up publicity. The usual announcement will get you one day of coverage, they've stretched this out for almost a week, leaving just enough clues to keep everyone guessing until late in the game. We've all known they were going to headline for months but everyone's been swepped along with it.

Twitter has been good, on here it's been brilliant and we've still not actually had the announcement yet.

No idea but I think It's probably been the Foos idea and they've asked Michael and Emily to find an appropriate small, local venue. Who knows?

All in all, bloody marvellous! 

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Got to say, I've loved this. An absolute masterclass from the Foos in stirring up publicity. The usual announcement will get you one day of coverage, they've stretched this out for almost a week, leaving just enough clues to keep everyone guessing until late in the game. We've all known they were going to headline for months but everyone's been swepped along with it.

Twitter has been good, on here it's been brilliant and we've still not actually had the announcement yet.

No idea but I think It's probably been the Foos idea and they've asked Michael and Emily to find an appropriate small, local venue. Who knows?

All in all, bloody marvellous! 

Perfectly put Gnom. It's been bloody great. If we can live stream it tomorrow. That'll be badass

oh and @kalifire mines a cider please, a pint of. Cheers dude.

3 hours ago, Keithy said:

I think you have been inducted into Efests Hall Of Fame. Look on the bright side.....the pound has crashed post Brexit so you'll get more pounds for your aussie dollars...

I'm all fairness @kalifire was elevated to a status above 'hall of fame' with his heroics in 2015