2017 Get Fit Thread

Kay95

Have been getting out in the garden over the last week or two, am starting a vegetable patch so have been digging up some lawn and getting a load of plants and roots out of the soil. I'm really enjoying it and it's a workout in itself. I'm not expecting much return in the way of veg, I imagine I'm doing a lot wrong but if I manage to get a little something later in the summer I'll be really happy. 

I don't ever weigh myself but I feel fitter and stronger than I have for a while. Still doing my yoga to try and ease the neck pains and the football seasons coming to an end now so hopefully the many knocks I pick up on a weekly basis that stop me from doing too much during the week will subside a bit and help. 

All looking positive. 

Hope everyone's on track for what they want! 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Wasn't sure if it'd get picked up on in a serious thread like this, but thought I'd dangle it out there just in case (deliberate again). 

Spin sounds like it would literally kill me. I think I'm breaking world records for slowest jogger of all time in order to finish each run. I was literally begging Jo Whiley to tell me it was all over (never thought I'd say that sentence) on my last run. No idea where I'm gonna get an extra two minutes from. 

If I see Jo at glastonbury I think I'm gonna punch her!

So what's the challenge with that one Scruff?  Is it duration or distance, or do you set the milestones as you go?

It's great work either way.  TBH I've been active pretty much my whole life and never really been out of shape, so I suppose I take being able to run or ride or do spin for granted a bit.  Injuries are probably making more aware of it these days though, certainly toning down some aspects of it.  My dad's back is particularly bad, so it's a warning of what happens if you ignore stuff like that :(

15 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You don't set your own. It's 3 runs a week that get harder each week.

It's called couch to 5k

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

but the end goal is running for 30mins and I doubt I'm running 5k in that time. At the start you do short jogs followed by walks for a combined total of between 20 and 25 minutes. It's all part of the one you campaign which is BBC/NHS I think. 

Hoping to carry on and do 30 mins 3 times a week after I finish this week and maybe add to it as I go. I used to be fairly active in my teens but not done any regular excercise really for 20 years now. 

Gotcha, had a look at the link and I get the idea. Solid work that man :)

Not going that great for me. not budged an inch or pound of extra padding and feeling pretty glum about it.

need a boot up the arse, so glad this thread has been revived

17lb down this year, had a few weeks off for beer and skiing, and not put anything on, so its 80 days on a serious quest now. Got a figure in mind, but basically just going for the burn as much as possible

8 mile cliff path walk yesterday so that was good, Hiit tonight and roller derby tomorrow - not a bad start to the week :-)

Ive been swimming to tone up a bit , started  doing 20 lengths of a 20m pool 6 months ago now up to 150 lengths a couple of times per week has helped with toning but can't seem to shift weight easily !! , do quite a bit of walking at work at least 10km a day so should be good on that front although muddy ones seems to still really sap the energy and I'm gonna be completely shattered at the end of the 5 days 

I'm a bit tubby. I started a diet in January, and got myself down from 20stone, and I'm just hovering in the high 18s now.

I start my gym subscription next week, and I'm hoping to be about 15-16 stone by Glasto (which, for my build, is about right).
I'm thinking, that if I'm fit enough, and the weather is good enough, that I'll be going for a run around the site each morning of the festival.

I suffered from an ankle injury a few weeks ago which meant I was on crutches for a while. Previously I was pretty active in the gym but I'm having to tone it down now while I recover and will hopefully start swimming again this week. Does anyone have any suggestions for strengthening my ankle up prior to the festival? Or tips for supporting it during with all the trekking around? 

16 minutes ago, char90 said:

I suffered from an ankle injury a few weeks ago which meant I was on crutches for a while. Previously I was pretty active in the gym but I'm having to tone it down now while I recover and will hopefully start swimming again this week. Does anyone have any suggestions for strengthening my ankle up prior to the festival? Or tips for supporting it during with all the trekking around? 

Swimming is the best form of exercise for most types of joint injuries, due to the non-impact nature, so keep that going. There will be various strengthening exercises you can do for ankles, just give it a quick google search as they will be able to explain it better than me. Ankles are a tough one, don't go too big too quickly as they are prone to flaring up again when working on recovery. I still get jip with mine every now and then even though it's years since I broke and dislocated it. 

Im hoping to be in tip top shape for glasto this year....last year was my first and it was very physically taxing for me with the mud....I'm hoping that being in better shape will improve my experience. I'm thinking the only way to truly prepare myself is to go running in wellies and ankle weights :D

I'm not very good at doing excercise so I'm hoping to start now and at least be in a better position by the end of June. I'd like to lose at least 15lbs (about 1 stone?) before then! 

7 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Im hoping to be in tip top shape for glasto this year....last year was my first and it was very physically taxing for me with the mud....I'm hoping that being in better shape will improve my experience. 

Over thirty plus years that's one of the hardest for stepping through the sticky stuff, it's not usually like that thankfully. 

Ive put a stone and a half on over the past year and a half since meeting the missus (always the way!) meaning im now at 15 and a half stone. Ive finally got out of my lazy slumber and am doing 3 runs a week ranging between 3k and 5k as well as eating very healthy Monday to Friday and going for hour long walks on my lunch breaks. The person i am with a love for going to watch Crystal Palace and gigs on the weekend means theres no way im cutting the booze on a Saturday. Im hoping however the exercise and five days of healthy living a week will help me to shift at least a bit of timber by the time trips to Glastonbury and New York come round.

2 hours ago, Familiar2billions said:

Ive put a stone and a half on over the past year and a half since meeting the missus (always the way!) meaning im now at 15 and a half stone. Ive finally got out of my lazy slumber and am doing 3 runs a week ranging between 3k and 5k as well as eating very healthy Monday to Friday and going for hour long walks on my lunch breaks. The person i am with a love for going to watch Crystal Palace and gigs on the weekend means theres no way im cutting the booze on a Saturday. Im hoping however the exercise and five days of healthy living a week will help me to shift at least a bit of timber by the time trips to Glastonbury and New York come round.

Sounds like she's a keeper! 

Got to enjoy yourself at least once a week, everything in moderation etc

10 hours ago, char90 said:

I tore a tendon in my ankle last Monday playing football so am in a similar position.. was meant to be doing London marathon in a couple of weeks too :(

It's happened to me before and the reason it went again is because I didn't give it enough time to heal. So I'd recommend no high impact exercise until completely healed. Low impact such as  swimming, cross training to keep the fitness levels up and then RICE for recovery.

If only I practiced what I preached!

6 minutes ago, No Cars Go said:

I tore a tendon in my ankle last Monday playing football so am in a similar position.. was meant to be doing London marathon in a couple of weeks too :(

It's happened to me before and the reason it went again is because I didn't give it enough time to heal. So I'd recommend no high impact exercise until completely healed. Low impact such as  swimming, cross training to keep the fitness levels up and then RICE for recovery.

If only I practiced what I preached!

Ah man, that sucks. How did you do it? Just mid game with no contact from anyone?

Whats your estimated recovery time? If its any concilation a close mate tore/ruptured an ankle tendon pretty badly in October and managed to recover and work up enough fitness to do an Inca trail trek up to Machu Picchui in Peru by Febuary. He really dedicated himself to his rehab for it. and managed to cut his estimated recovery by about 2/3 weeks. And now he really understands the benefits of certain stretches and exercises to help prevent injuries

41 minutes ago, No Cars Go said:

Sounds like she's a keeper! 

Got to enjoy yourself at least once a week, everything in moderation etc

Damn straight! Luckily she comes from a Rugby mad family so understands my love for watching sport and if anything encourages it. Plus she works in music management so gigs and festivals are par for the course with her... Win Win! Although we've both been loads before, Its our first Glastonbury together this year so that adds some extra excitement to proceedings.

Now the evenings are lovely and light, I really need to get out running after work. If I don't go straight away, I really struggle to motivate myself to go at all. Going to try and do a few press ups as well and get my mid-section stronger for the carrying of stuff on Wednesday.

Well done to everyone with their various efforts! Remember everyone, a fitter Glastonbury is happier Glastonbury!

1 hour ago, Familiar2billions said:

Damn straight! Luckily she comes from a Rugby mad family so understands my love for watching sport and if anything encourages it. Plus she works in music management so gigs and festivals are par for the course with her... Win Win! Although we've both been loads before, Its our first Glastonbury together this year so that adds some extra excitement to proceedings.

I think we have the same girlfriend.