2017 Get Fit Thread

Kay95

1 hour ago, baggienick68 said:

My own regime is just to do as much walking as possible before June. When its muddy its a bit of a challenge at my age.

Challenge for me when muddy and I have age on my side, I'm lucky enough to have not experienced a muddy Glasto but have other festivals and it really takes it out of me.

Can't imagine how that would be on Glasto scale! 

Need to get me leg muscles ready (just in case) 

:ph34r:

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Got a new bench last week. Lifting fuck all. Thats a mugs game. 35kg ish + the bar, high reps, short breaks. Bench press, upright row, bent over dumbbell rows, dumbbell flyes, curls, leg extensions, squats, calf raises. One day upper body one day lower. 20 mins tops each day. Haven't done weights in ages so quite sore initially. 

Sound like a real workout guy reading that back. I'm not.

I do love "what are you benching" as a conversation opener to strangers though. 

Do you even lift bro? :gym:

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Got a new bench last week. Lifting fuck all. Thats a mugs game. 35kg ish + the bar, high reps, short breaks. Bench press, upright row, bent over dumbbell rows, dumbbell flyes, curls, leg extensions, squats, calf raises. One day upper body one day lower. 20 mins tops each day. Haven't done weights in ages so quite sore initially. 

Sound like a real workout guy reading that back. I'm not.

I do love "what are you benching" as a conversation opener to strangers though. 

Some people say I look like han solo..

Edited by rubenz

I've let myself go a bit since June as well! Starting to blast out the 10,000 steps challenge for a few weeks, and starting running again when the ground isn't as slippy before/after work! Hopefully get out on the bike in the hills in spring and fingers crossed I'll be in better shape by June.

Done dry Jan and feeling great... but I fear that is going to collapse by 1st Feb! Still, I know now I can cut back!!

Good luck everyone!

Doing 5:2 and 4 dry days a week. Trying to walk every day between 3 and 6 miles. So far it's working. I have lost 4lb and hope to keep losing 1lb a week. I want to lose weight to improve my health and general fitness. I'm 60 this year and want to look and feel good :)

Keep it up everyone.

Still going! Had an up and down week as I was ill towards the end of last week so barely ate for 2 days. Then at the weekend we had family over from Qatar so went out for a big meal. I thought everything would balance out but I did manage to lose a pound.

Up to 9lbs lost in 4 weeks which I'm very happy with.

Hope all your fitness campaigns are going well!

Edited by Andeeroo

still doing the exercise and trying to keep the food intake down.... no weight lost which is frustrating, but still definitely feeling the benefit even if i can't see it yet.

Only have time to go to the gym in the morning before work so the difficult bit is really getting out of bed...

Edited by Kay95

Been trying to up my exercise levels but the day after any form of workout my neck and upper back are an achey mess, with the tendons/muslces(?) that connect the top of the ribs (under the collar bone) to the neck/head often imploding and leaving me with an inability to look either right or left.

Have been to the doctors, who were more than useless just telling me to keep taking painkillers. With everything else just continually telling me it is all related to posture - which obviously must be a factor but I have worked tirelessly to correct that over the last few years with no improvement to the problem.

I have taken up yoga and do stretches every night and as many mornings as I have time but it really is affecting me now, just the constant ache - which is not just muscles that were used in the workout (the good ache).

Personal circumstances dictated that I could not gym or eat healthily for quite some time. Been back at it since the New Year and doing well following my exercise and diet plan. No idea how much weight I have lost as the scales I had stopped working right at the start. I feel better though and that's what it's about for me. I'm not fussed about looking good it's more about keeping healthy.

What works for me ;

- Prepare all my meals and box them up every few days. No reason to stray then as my food is at hand and I don't have to think.

- Gym straight from work. It's just a longer working day then. I struggle to get motivated if I go home first.

Good luck all.

Fell completely off the exercise wagon last week as I felt rubbish. I think it may just have been cold weather but I had no energy and just wanted to eat carbs. Kept food ok and weight stayed the same this week despite a lot of booze at the weekend. 

Back to the gym this week, aiming for 4 times to try and counteract 6 nations related alcohol intake...

Edited by Heather90

43 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Personal circumstances dictated that I could not gym or eat healthily for quite some time. Been back at it since the New Year and doing well following my exercise and diet plan. No idea how much weight I have lost as the scales I had stopped working right at the start. I feel better though and that's what it's about for me. I'm not fussed about looking good it's more about keeping healthy.

What works for me ;

- Prepare all my meals and box them up every few days. No reason to stray then as my food is at hand and I don't have to think.

- Gym straight from work. It's just a longer working day then. I struggle to get motivated if I go home first.

Good luck all.

This is one of the best bits of advice, works so well for me.  I've now got 3 or 4 recipes for lunch so I'll do a batch cook of one on Sunday and tub up for 5 days of lunches.  Means I eat the same thing every day, but then I know I've got something different coming the week after. Small tub of nuts & dried fruit for a snack and I'm done for the day.

Do the same with breakfast - tub up my porridge mix the night before and microwave it with milk at work.  Job done.

As well as removing food temptation I find it just removes another thing to have to try and think about during the week.  No more "what can I make for lunch tomorrow?", just grab a tub from the fridge and it's done!

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

This is one of the best bits of advice, works so well for me.  I've now got 3 or 4 recipes for lunch so I'll do a batch cook of one on Sunday and tub up for 5 days of lunches.  Means I eat the same thing every day, but then I know I've got something different coming the week after. Small tub of nuts & dried fruit for a snack and I'm done for the day.

Do the same with breakfast - tub up my porridge mix the night before and microwave it with milk at work.  Job done.

As well as removing food temptation I find it just removes another thing to have to try and think about during the week.  No more "what can I make for lunch tomorrow?", just grab a tub from the fridge and it's done!

Yep this is definitely the number 1 piece of advice for anyone that finds dieting hard. Prepare what you are having to eat for each meal in advance (don't necessarily have to cook it in advance). You are far more likely to give in to temptations when you are deciding last minute what you want to eat.

10 hours ago, mjsell said:

Been trying to up my exercise levels but the day after any form of workout my neck and upper back are an achey mess, with the tendons/muslces(?) that connect the top of the ribs (under the collar bone) to the neck/head often imploding and leaving me with an inability to look either right or left.

Have been to the doctors, who were more than useless just telling me to keep taking painkillers. With everything else just continually telling me it is all related to posture - which obviously must be a factor but I have worked tirelessly to correct that over the last few years with no improvement to the problem.

I have taken up yoga and do stretches every night and as many mornings as I have time but it really is affecting me now, just the constant ache - which is not just muscles that were used in the workout (the good ache).

I had a similar thing and would recommend a good osteopath if you haven't already tried. Has done wonders for my stiff neck and shoulders but took a number of sessions to iron out and I still go every couple of months.

It's often some part of the body you think is unrelated that puts you out of whack. 

• 4 weeks later...

I love this post, I thought I was in the minority of people who tried to loose weight for Glastonbury! I've recently moved back from Dubai where it was so easy to loose weight and have pretty much hibernated in a box of Camembert over the winter. Off to Amsterdam this weekend so fitness will be far from my mind…after that I’ll be completely committed to joining you all on a fitness journey J Mostly because I tend to camp on Hitchin Hill and that hill walk at 3am will do anyone in!! Some great advice here, good luck to everyone and be great to hear your results. If all else fails at least we can put our fitness to good use with the bike powered smoothies in the Green Fields J Good Luck!

1 minute ago, Funkyfairy! said:

17lb down this year, and still going strong ! Skiing the week after next will probably put that back on with beer, hot wine, and tartiflette consumption !

The skiing will hopefully balance the beer out! When I went to Italy I ate so much but walked loads and managed to not put weight back on :) you're on your hols so calories don't count.