New Area

Charm

The thing with the Growler is that although it was an institution, it was genuinely horrible food (I had one once).  The cheapest of cheap rolls and crappy bacon.  If they'd posho'd it up a bit over the years, perhaps there would have been a greater chance of another pitch.  Let's face it, if they'd not been there so long and had just turned up, we'd all be questioning what such substandard fare was doing at the festival. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Just saw this on fb, apparently the Growler hasn't been offered another pitch, I guess that's to do with this new area.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1350595538363505&id=357285737694495

Why would that be related? It's on the other side of the Other Stage.  If anything, they'll need more food stalls, not fewer if a soundsystem is replacing/taking up space in a market area.

Just now, scaryclaireyfairy said:

The thing with the Growler is that although it was an institution, it was genuinely horrible food (I had one once).  The cheapest of cheap rolls and crappy bacon.  If they'd posho'd it up a bit over the years, perhaps there would have been a greater chance of another pitch.  Let's face it, if they'd not been there so long and had just turned up, we'd all be questioning what such substandard fare was doing at the festival. 

Yeah.  The idea was pretty good and could hit the spot in the right circumstances, but the quality of the ingredients was just so poor.  It was great in the 90s, I really enjoyed one in 2008, but to serve up that slop in 2017? They can do better.

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Why would that be related? It's on the other side of the Other Stage.  If anything, they'll need more food stalls, not fewer if a soundsystem is replacing/taking up space in a market area.

Am I getting mixed up? I thought the Growler stand was on the route through from the Silver Hayes side of Other towards Pyramid? Quite possible I've got it wrong.

1 minute ago, mr gumby said:

Am I getting mixed up? I thought the Growler stand was on the route through from the Silver Hayes side of Other towards Pyramid? Quite possible I've got it wrong.

Nah, it was the other side. As you came into the Other field from the market with the bandstand/bread and roses.

Just now, mr gumby said:

You are.  The Growler was to be found on the right hand route from Other to Pyramid (facing Other).  It was traditionally on the right side of that route, but moved last year (or 2015) to the other side of that route.  I've marked both locations below:

GlastoMapGrowler.jpg

8 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Nah, it was the other side. As you came into the Other field from the market with the bandstand/bread and roses.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You are.  The Growler was to be found on the right hand route from Other to Pyramid (facing Other).  It was traditionally on the right side of that route, but moved last year (or 2015) to the other side of that route.  I've marked both locations below:

GlastoMapGrowler.jpg

Ah, fair enough! I only recall visiting once, and that was several years back. Wonder if there's something new happening that side too, then, or if they're losing their pitch to another vendor being relocated.

4 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Ah, fair enough! I only recall visiting once, and that was several years back. Wonder if there's something new happening that side too, then, or if they're losing their pitch to another vendor being relocated.

Oh yeah, that would be a related reason for the Growler getting the boot.  Hadn't considered that.

I bet they've been shifted as part of making room for Lovebullets. Maybe not the exact same space, but I reckon Growler's spot is being taken by someone moved from near the Glade.

Oh yeah I forgot about Lovebullets!

I had kinda assumed it would be going inbetween the spaceport and the spike bar, but that makes a lot of sense.

With the all the new Glade bits combined hopefully with this secret new area behind silver hayes, maybe there'll finally be enough late night venues and perhaps Shangri La won't be quite so unbearably busy...

Something weird is going on.  There appears to be more turmoil in the markets than you might expect from simply adding in Lovebullets near Spaceport.  Below is a post I made on the food vendor thread, but it really belongs here:

On 5/16/2017 at 9:37 AM, VolumetricFox said:

A bit more on the demise of The Growler.  The comment "market removed and won't relocate" I wonder how many other regular vendors we won't see this year.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1350595538363505&id=357285737694495

chrome_2017-05-16_09-35-08.png

"Festival have taken away the market we were in"

Haang on a minute, isn't this new information? The best theory I'd heard was that Saxon Market was being filled with new entertainment (between Other and Pyramid on the other side of Other) and that displaced traders were being moved, kicking out Mr Growler.

But the market where Meal Machine was situated is going? First I've heard of that. How does it fit in with what we've heard about Cloud 9 and Saxon Market? How big an area is going? Have I got the wrong market in mind? Have GFL changed their mind about this new soundsystem?

I have questions!

We need answers!!

So... what is going on with the markets? Seems like a bit of a shake up.

They can't just remove large areas of market without relocating the majority of the stalls, they'd lose too much income. So there must either be a new market area, or they're squeezing more stalls in elsewhere ie near John Peel, Cineramageddon (I have to really concentrate when spelling that) etc etc. 

1 hour ago, Junglist1981 said:

They can't just remove large areas of market without relocating the majority of the stalls, they'd lose too much income. So there must either be a new market area, or they're squeezing more stalls in elsewhere ie near John Peel, Cineramageddon (I have to really concentrate when spelling that) etc etc. 

The festival has been very clever in adding more stalls over the years by rearranging the layout ever so slightly. I think there's more going in up at JP this year. 

I'm taking growler guys reasoning with a pinch of salt though: he could be saving face. Id have got rid of that place purely for the quality of produce. 

Have we had a formal statement from The Famous Welsh Oggie? 

They're usually on the SH side of Other Stage, so would be prime target for a relocation.

(I can't recall if they were there last year, tho - pretty sure they were in 2015)

On 16/05/2017 at 10:00 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

GlastoMapGrowler.jpg

That's near to where Arcadia was in 2013, so there is history of late night action in that area.

ARR

1 minute ago, alanr said:

That's near to where Arcadia was in 2013, so there is history of late night action in that area.

ARR

Arcadia was much further back in that field much closer to the railway track. Even further back there was a tent up that way the name I can't recall.

So yes there has been history of music around there but always came with issues - the ten had sound issues and bleed to/from other stage. Arcadia had crowd issues after the headliner as people waited for the performance to start

This might have something to do with the new area which is overtaking the market area or something to do with the big secret but I saw a podcast that said there were signs up all over the site asking walkers to not take pictures or report on changes they've seen. Or is this a normal occurrence in the run up to the festival? 

If I've read everything right (which I probably haven't) then the saxon market between other stage and silver hayes is being replaced by a soundsystem area and the glade area has grown with more stages and the removal of the market stalls.

Sandwiched between these 2 areas is the other stage. Could the big secret be that the other stage is moving to accomodate these 2 areas - or 1 new big late night area??

But where could it move to??

Seems like the markets may have had a shake up this year. I am aware that Fairylove have moved - they used to be in T&C and by leftfield and last year they moved (I can;t remember where), this year they will be ' Willow 02/13' ... which according to Shelley who runs the stall is 'up the main drag, turn left at the tiny tea tent and along a bit on the right hand side ' .....

Anyone seen if the WI cake stall will be there again ?

10 minutes ago, guinness_guzzler said:

If I've read everything right (which I probably haven't) then the saxon market between other stage and silver hayes is being replaced by a soundsystem area and the glade area has grown with more stages and the removal of the market stalls.

Sandwiched between these 2 areas is the other stage. Could the big secret be that the other stage is moving to accomodate these 2 areas - or 1 new big late night area??

But where could it move to??

You can see the other stage is currently being put together on the Webcam so thats not moving