Cambridge Folk Festival

Watergirl

I am a Cambridge regular.  That is, I have been going since 2005.  I know there are many folks who have a much longer history with the festival.  

I absolutely love the festival.  I am a keen Glastonbury-goer as well, but I have often said that if I could only afford to go to one festival, it would be Cambridge, as it is musically right up my street.  I like it so much that I do not want it to change at all.  I recently learned that artistic director Eddie Barcan has resigned, and I can only hope that this does not bring unwelcome changes.  I read somewhere that the new director is also responsible for Benicassim, which seems such a different beast, but I can now no longer find where I read that....

There have been some changes already: A rather unpleasant member system with early booking privileges.  Thankfully it made no difference when 'ordinary tickets' went on sale.  The print-at-home tickets are actually a very welcome change.  Then there is Jon Boden as guest curator.  My guess it that whatever he picks I will like, so not too worried there.

Five acts have been announced so far: Jake Bugg, Oysterband, Hayseed Dixie, Lau and Jon Boden. This does not indicate any worrying changes.

I used to enjoy the Cambridge forum on the BBC Radio Two website, but that disappeared some years ago.  I am not aware of any other forum.  If such a thing exists, please direct me!

Otherwise, I thought I might as well start a thread here.

Edited by Watergirl

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello! Need a bit of advice re arriving at the festival, as I'm a first timer. We're booked in to Coldhams Common campsite and wondering what time it opens on the Thursday and if there is a big queue to get in?? We're thinking of getting there mid afternoon - will there still be plenty of nice spots to camp? I'm used to the bunfight of Glasto!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not camped at Coldham's Common, but I believe it is much bigger than Cherry Hinton. The Cherry Hinton campsite opens at 10 a.m. and fills up quickly. I'd imagine Coldham's Common is more relaxed. There is no Glast-type frenzy about anything at Cambridge. All very relaxed and easy-going.

Edited by Watergirl

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

anyone going this year?

They've just added Marlon Williams, who I recommend checking out. I saw him about a month ago, and thought he was superb at what he does (not particularly my thing, but I know good).

Heard one of this fella's songs on a Netflix documentary and it clicked that you'd been recommending him for a while, so checked his new album out and it's fantastic. So cheers for that. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...