BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2017

NickisGinger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My money is on Hull, city of culture 2017 and it hasn't been in the North of England for a few years.

Had a quick look online and Leicester included Big Weekend 2017 as a key event in their submission for City of Culture. Hull obviously won the title but was that an assumption on Leicester's part rather than anything set in stone?

Edited by Stuart1000

44 minutes ago, Stuart1000 said:

My money is on Hull, city of culture 2017 and it hasn't been in the North of England for a few years.

Had a quick look online and Leicester included Big Weekend 2017 as a key event in their submission for City of Culture. Hull obviously won the title but was that an assumption on Leicester's part rather than anything set in stone?

Assumption I think. Lord Hall spoke about the idea of R1BW and other stuff coming to Hull after they won so it can't have been Leicester's, and he said not so long ago that the BBC was gonna be 'unashamedly Hull-centric' this year so yeah it's a good bet that it'll be in Hull.

Yeah seeing as they've repeatedly tied it into other big cultural things (2012, 2013, 2014).. it would be a surprise if it was anywhere else really

Obviously speculation on who will appear is largely futile until they announce the date but Bruno Mars is free on either the Saturday or Sunday of every weekend in May - and also seemingly isn't playing any other UK festivals this year - so he'd be a good bet. Ed Sheeran would be the obvious one for the other night but he's the kind of act who'd probably be willing to take a slot which is beneath him at this so idk.

Edited by Zac Quinn

13 hours ago, Jackbob said:

Got to be Hull this year,  not sure where they would put all the stages however.  When do they announce the location?

East Park? I'm not sure where either actually. Maybe if there wasn't anywhere viable then it'd be another city getting it.

edit: actually it doesn't have to be a park does it? Down by the docks like Freedom Festival probably.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

East Park? I'm not sure where either actually. Maybe if there wasn't anywhere viable then it'd be another city getting it.

edit: actually it doesn't have to be a park does it? Down by the docks like Freedom Festival probably.

Or it could be near Hull, like it was last year when it wasn't technically in Exeter. 

Anybody know how close you have to be to be given priority for tickets? I'm in Sc**thorpe so pretty close to Hull. Would be nice to bag some again after getting to both days in Norwich in 2015 as my brother was at uni there.

Although saying that, other than them having 2 headliners I wanted to see the lineup was shitty and I was pretty bored half the time. Think I remember last year's lineup having a fair amount of decent stuff on it, though. Tame, TLSP, Foals, CHVRCHES, etc. if I remember rightly.

Edit: Not Foals but they had the rest and a few other decent things.

Edited by Will-2609

37 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Anybody know how close you have to be to be given priority for tickets? I'm in Sc**thorpe so pretty close to Hull. Would be nice to bag some again after getting to both days in Norwich in 2015 as my brother was at uni there.

Although saying that, other than them having 2 headliners I wanted to see the lineup was shitty and I was pretty bored half the time. Think I remember last year's lineup having a fair amount of decent stuff on it, though. Tame, TLSP, Foals, CHVRCHES, etc. if I remember rightly.

Edit: Not Foals but they had the rest and a few other decent things.

"Tame"

Yeah I imagine so. They divide it up a bit but after Hull council areas and HU postcodes; DN and YO postcodes would probably squeeze in for a portion.

• 3 weeks later...

how difficult will it be to get a ticket if you're from the south of england? i've never tried to get tickets for big weekend but i know that they sell out pretty quickly and tend to mostly go to locals, so yep... i mean, is it glastonbury-level difficult?

2 hours ago, sisco said:

Little Mix and KOL as headliners...... lovely

Very surprised neither Bruno Mars or Ed Sheeran are headlining, I know they have a massive fanbase but gonna be pretty embarrassing for any bands which have to be the 'warm up act' for Little Mix ... at least it's not repeat headliners this year though, I suppose.