The Official eFestivals Glastonbury Forum's Best Albums of 2016 - Happy New List!

SwedgeAntilles

Good evening eFestivals! The votes have been counted, the points totalled and I can now reveal the top 10 albums of 2016 as voted by (a relatively small but committed percentage of) eFests posters.

Before we get on to the main list, spare a thought for the honourable mentions. The scoring was tight and it's only fair those who just missed out - albums 20 to 11 - get a round of applause for trying (Little Mix, nil points);

20. Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam - I Had A Dream That You Were Mine (Pts 24: Votes 3)

19. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression (Pts 25: Votes 4)

18. Jamie T - Trick (Pts 28: Votes 6)

17. Glass Animals - How To Be A Human Being (Pts 29: Votes 4)

16. The Avalanches - Wildflower (Pts 29: Votes 5)

15. Blood Orange - Freetown Sound (Pts 32: Votes 5)

14. Anderson.Paak - Malibu (Pts 33: Votes 8 )

13. Solange - A Seat At The Table (Pts 38: Votes 6)

12. Frank Ocean - Blonde (Pts 41: Votes 7)

11. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity (Pts 43: Votes 8 )

And now on to the the main list...

10. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

a-tribe-called-quest-we-got-it-from-here-thank-you-4-your-service-58245fbb6dbe4-500x500.jpg

Despite being released towards the end of the year ATCQ fought their way into the top ten with a total of 9 votes and 43 points, picking up 3 top five placings along the way. They edged their way into the top ten ahead of King Gizzard & The Lizard Lads courtesy of the amount of votes gathered. Let's hope the rumours tipping them to be at the farm this year (we're looking at you West Holts) turn out to be correct and we get some of this cracking album in our ears live;

Recommended listening; The Space Program, Conrad Tokyo, Whateva Will Be

9. Pablo Honey

9. James Blake - The Colour In Anything

JamesBlake-TheColourInAnything.jpg

James Blake's third studio album came from nowhere to cement it's place at number nine. After largely being posted missing-in-action over the first few pages of the thread he managed to stage a fightback picking up a total of 7 votes and 48 points with - crucially - four of its 7 votes being top five placings. A headline spot on West Holts at this year's festival likely did his cause no harm. 

Recommended listening: Radio Silence, I Need A Forest Fire, My Willing Heart

8. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker

YrtApkP.jpg

Earlier this year Cohen had said rumours of his demise were greatly exaggerated (and given the year we'd had that was an achievement in itself). He told an audience that he 'intended to live forever' and given the critical and commercial response to his 14th album it's just as well it was a record which will life long in the memory. 'You Want It Darker' picked up 7 votes and 49 points and similarly to James Blake received 4 top five placings which helped push him up the ranking.

Recommended listening: You Want It Darker, On The Level, Treaty

7. Beyonce - Lemonade

51GJFwZZU9L.jpg

All hail the Queen! Bey didn't let the fact that Lemonade wasn't available on Spotify (meaning lazy folk like me had to work a bit harder than usual to listen to it) harm her chances of making the top ten. She stormed into 7th place thanks to 8 votes and a total of 66 points putting some clear daylight between herself and the rest of the artists featured thus far. 'Lemonade' had an extremely strong showing in the lists it appeared, picking up 3 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, 1 x 4th and 2 x 5th placings.

Recommended listening: Freedom, Formation, Hold Up

6. Angel Olsen - My Woman

56124-my-woman.jpg

The opposite of James Blake, Angel Oslen stormed into an early lead picking up points all over the place, only to falter towards the end of the thread and just miss out on a spot in the top five on votes only. Tied on 85 points with our fifth placed album 'My Woman' picked up a total of 11 votes. Only one of her 11 votes placed her out of the top five (at 6th place) and she claimed two first place spots.

Recommended listening: Shut Up Kiss Me, Not Gonna Kill You, Intern

And now ladies and gentlemen, I give you our top five...

5. David Bowie - Blackstar

181988930626.jpg

Bittersweet for the Thin White Duke to make it into the top five. Certainly was the hardest death of 2016 for me to take, however there's little doubt his untimely death brought 'Blackstar' an added significance. A beautiful and intriguing album, as mentioned it pulled in the same amount of points as Angel Olsen (85), but crucially ran away with it on votes, picking up 15 nominations. Thus making it the most popular record of the top 20 so far.

Recommended listening: Lazarus, Blackstar, 'Tis A Pity She Was A Whore

4. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

55907-skeleton-tree.jpg

With Mr Cave we finally smash through the century mark in terms of points. 'Skeleton Tree' picked up a total 105 points across 14 votes, meaning that while it picked up one nomination less than 'Blackstar' it comfortably won into 4th place thanks to high placings with no less than five of our posters selecting it as their favourite album of 2016. However even that couldn't push it into the top three...

Recommended listening: Jesus Alone, Rings of Saturn, I Need You

3. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial

005418735_500.jpg

From two legends like David Bowie and Nick Cave we come to the newest kid on the block. Will Toledo's project-cum-band storms into third place with 18 votes and a massive 123 points, cementing a top three place on merit. Like 'Skeleton Tree', 'Teens of Denial' was also selected by five of our posters as their number one album of the year and was boosted by another seven top five placements. It's been a massive year for him/them and hopefully a return to the farm with a higher placed slot is on the cards for next year.

Recommended listening: Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales, 1937 State Park, Vincent

2. Bon Iver - 22, A Million

bon-500x500.jpg

As I was pulling this together I was genuinely surprised to see '22, A Million' go to the top early on and stay there throughout. Simply because from a completely unscientific point of view it felt like this album had divided opinion on the forum somewhat when it was released. But from a scientific point of view it was always in the running to be voted the best album of 2016, and while it didn't quite making the grade it had an extremely strong showing picking up 144 points and a total of 23 votes. Six of our posters named it their album of 2016

Recommended listening: 8 (Circle), 00000 Million, 29 #Strafford APTS

However, there could be only one...

1. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

005361077_500.jpg

You people are so predictable. We collectively do absolutely nothing to dispel our reputation as the Radiohead fanboys and fangirls of eFestivals as we select 'A Moon Shaped Pool' as our album of 2016, on something of a landslide as it racks up 180 points. I suppose there should be... No Surprises (I'm here all week). While '22, A Million' put up a decent fight all the way it suffered in general from people voting for both albums and selecting Radiohead's album higher up their lists. In total it received 26 nominations meaning it appeared more often than not somewhere on people's top tens. While it wasn't placed in as many top spots as Bon Iver it appeared in a whopping 18 of our top fives. Thom and the Lads will finally once again headline the Pyramid next year and they will do so as the Champions of eFestivals, 2016

Recommended listening: Burn The White, Present Tense, Identikit, The Numbers, True Love Waits.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a top ten and to do so in order. Hope everyone enjoyed reading through this round up, happy new year and he's to starting all our lists afresh on the 1st January! :)

SwedgeAntilles

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That will have happened in a bunch of end of year lists. Both were highly acclaimed.

I didn't know Beyonce had released and album, maybe I'm not paying enough attention to what MTV acclaims? I'll make a note to give it spin anyway ;)

Radiohead isn't surprising though, best thing since sliced bread them guys

14 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Glad folk enjoyed it :)

Great work Swedge. Got some albums to listen to which will hopefully get me through this horrible first day back at work. 

So far Anderson.Paak's is the one that is keeping me going. Cheers to everyone who voted for this one.