Bestival is moving

themuel

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't blame them for this. It was losing them tickets sold, money, and ultimately the quality of the festival.

I missed out on volunteering at Bestival 2016 as the area I was volunteering for/with was abandoned due to lack of funds.

Hoping it'll be back at Bestival in 2017.

Those licensing documents were interesting, cheers for sharing.  A couple of things I noticed were the application were describing the audience profile as 25-50.  I reckon they've just copy-pasted that from the Camp Bestival app because when I worked at Bestival in 13, the audience profile was briefed as mainly 20-40.

Also on the map there's crew camping for Showsec - looks like they've got the gig again despite being a source of a lot of dissatisfaction last year.  Hopefully they'll do better.

I do like the look of the site on the map, plenty of stages and well laid out, funk and soul especially welcome.  It's tempting to attend, that's for sure.

On my phone atm so can't double check but am I right in saying both the Space Port and the Port will be there?

If so that's brilliant, two of my favourite stages ever at festivals (even if the Space Port wasn't as good as it could have been). Think I saw Sink the Pink might be hosting the port as well? If so, that will be fantastic fun. 

On 16/12/2016 at 1:28 AM, alien said:

Don't blame them for this. It was losing them tickets sold, money, and ultimately the quality of the festival.

I missed out on volunteering at Bestival 2016 as the area I was volunteering for/with was abandoned due to lack of funds.

Hoping it'll be back at Bestival in 2017.

I'm guessing they are doing this as to not go down the same route as IOW Fest looks to.

On 12/16/2016 at 5:48 PM, Zacko said:

On my phone atm so can't double check but am I right in saying both the Space Port and the Port will be there?

If so that's brilliant, two of my favourite stages ever at festivals (even if the Space Port wasn't as good as it could have been). Think I saw Sink the Pink might be hosting the port as well? If so, that will be fantastic fun. 

Yep, if you zoom in they are there. Stage 3 - Spaceport, is near the jager tent interestingly.  Stage 7, the port/boat.

Blind Tiger isn't hidden anymore since there's no woodland which is a big shame, but there is a hidden disco. 

And no more hill of death!

On 15/12/2016 at 2:24 PM, Dukeicon said:

Site Plan as well. Look as if the main stage has been moved backwards & VIP camping has been made smaller to create more room than at Camp Bestival.

https://www.dorsetforyou.gov.uk/media/218734/Appx-B---Site-Plan-Bestival-2017/pdf/Appx_B_-_Site_Plan_Bestival_2017.pdf

Nice to see the Port and Reggae Roots stages on there, if they make enough on tickets and actually put everything on this map there, it looks like there will be a decent amount to see and do

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:21 AM, FloorFiller said:

the location of Bestival was always a big factor in whether i could or couldn't be arsed going, and tbh after last time it was the final straw in me deciding not to return unless they booked some ridiculously good lineup, so this pleases me. not to say i'm gonna head back straight away - it'll be 2018 at the earliest - but at least the option is back. i hope they manage to secure a good lineup this year so it all wasn't in vain

obviously gonna be a fair few people from the island pissed off, but i'd say this is definitely the right move to attempt to save the festival

Bestival 2016 was a major let down, especially compared to 2015. The whole vibe was off and the logistics and planning of the site didn't work. I'm off to Boom Town in 2017 :)b4c0cc54d988bca7a8dccf9aa96c94ea

On 17/01/2017 at 11:33 AM, DaveFest said:

Bestival 2016 was a major let down, especially compared to 2015. The whole vibe was off and the logistics and planning of the site didn't work. I'm off to Boom Town in 2017 :)b4c0cc54d988bca7a8dccf9aa96c94ea

2015 was a huge let down compared to previous years from what I've heard.. 2015 being the first year in many which I didn't attend, in saying that 2016 wasn't great but I trust it can be sorted as long as certain things are changed first being the lineup haha 

On 1/21/2017 at 2:58 AM, Tom12 said:

2015 was a huge let down compared to previous years from what I've heard.. 2015 being the first year in many which I didn't attend, in saying that 2016 wasn't great but I trust it can be sorted as long as certain things are changed first being the lineup haha 

Eh? 2015 was a banger. Everyone I went with really enjoyed it.

Sat night I saw Slaves-Annic Mac-Chemical Brothers-Annie Mac B2B RDB.

Sun afternoon I saw Snap! into The Jacksons!

23 hours ago, Homer said:

Eh? 2015 was a banger. Everyone I went with really enjoyed it.

Sat night I saw Slaves-Annic Mac-Chemical Brothers-Annie Mac B2B RDB.

Sun afternoon I saw Snap! into The Jacksons!

Compared to previous lineups that's not a great year in my opinion... a lot of others seem to have agreed as well through Facebook reviews and various tweets from friends 

Well I did have a great time at Bestival when I went in 2012, it was perfect for the Glastonbury fallow year/olympics etc.

Though the crowd reminded me a lot of the Reading Festival type crowd, it was even more like a skins party than it got in Reading when that whole thing and nu rave when it peaked in 2006 and 2007.

8 hours ago, Homer said:

What did you make of Duran Duran?!

I never see them as I didn't attend in 2015... I did catch a little bit of them at common people southampton though, seemed pretty good... my favourite bestival headliner would probably be Elton john 

On 1/21/2017 at 2:58 AM, Tom12 said:

2015 was a huge let down compared to previous years from what I've heard..

I think you mean 2016 as 2015 has more stages & alternative things to do since since I've been going. I missed 2016, looks like I dodged a bullet.

Duran Duran were all right but amazing at the same time.

19 hours ago, Bisque said:

I think you mean 2016 as 2015 has more stages & alternative things to do since since I've been going. I missed 2016, looks like I dodged a bullet.

Duran Duran were all right but amazing at the same time.

I'm saying that 2015-16 weren't great. I didn't attend in 2015 for the first time since I started going  but from what I heard it wasn't great compared to previous years :) apparently they are bringing back the old stages for 2017 so hopefully they bring back the bestival feel :) 

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

I wonder if that's a good idea? It'll have many of the same issues around it as Bestival had - of the costs and hassle of getting punters and artists and infrastructure to the island, which'll always make it a harder-sell than it would be on the mainland.

I wish them them the best of luck anyway. The greater number of successful festivals means the greater purpose efestivals has.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I wonder if that's a good idea? It'll have many of the same issues around it as Bestival had - of the costs and hassle of getting punters and artists and infrastructure to the island, which'll always make it a harder-sell than it would be on the mainland.

I wish them them the best of luck anyway. The greater number of successful festivals means the greater purpose efestivals has.

My thoughts exactly. It seems like they're going more down the 'electronic/dance' root, which might do it some good actually. 

There was definitely that sort of crowd at Bestival, and other surrounding festivals such as Victiorious and IoW are focusing more on indie, rock bookings. 

Keeping a close eye on this one.