2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

43 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Absolutely fucking love that. Gotta be on the farm now they have new music in the bag 

Yep after repeated listens I can't get enough of it. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for from them. I'd love them to be at Glastonbury but can't help but feel it'd just be another one to add to the headliner clashathon (guessing they'd top the Park)

40 minutes ago, Quark said:

He's playing a little venue in Brighton in a couple of weeks.  Not caught him at Glastonbury previously; any thoughts on whether he's worth a live watch?

I'm probably not the best opinion to listen to having seen him loads through knowing his family pretty well. But in my view he is consistently improving his live performances everytime I see him (which now he is doing some massive tours is anytime he plays in London).

I would say though that it might be a good time to catch him, before his album comes out in a few months and his prices go up. I doubt there's many 18 year olds that have done as many live shows at increasingly bigger venues as him. Think he is supporting Cage the Elephant at Brixton Academy soon, and has supported mystery jets and foals in the past, plus plays far bigger headline venues out in the states.

Edited by mjsell

13 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I'm probably not the best opinion to listen to having seen him loads through knowing his family pretty well. But in my view he is consistently improving his live performances everytime I see him (which now he is doing some massive tours is anytime he plays in London).

I would say though that it might be a good time to catch him, before his album comes out in a few months and his prices go up. I doubt there's many 18 year olds that have done as many live shows at increasingly bigger venues as him. Think he is supporting Cage the Elephant at Brixton Academy soon, and has supported mystery jets and foals in the past, plus plays far bigger headline venues out in the state.

Decent enough recommendation for me.  It's half an hour away and £10 a ticket, so can't go wrong really.  Think I'll be signing up for that :)

Correction - I have now signed up for that!

Edited by Quark

31 minutes ago, Quark said:

Decent enough recommendation for me.  It's half an hour away and £10 a ticket, so can't go wrong really.  Think I'll be signing up for that :)

Correction - I have now signed up for that!

Nice one, hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think though - would be nice to have some unbiased opinion for me to see if I'm slightly blinkered towards him

I don't really like the new Slowdive track. It's long been a dream for me to see them play When The Sun Hits on the Park as the sun goes down, so I'd definitely be there if they play. New song just feels like one of those bands that NME rave about for a week then forget about.

It also just makes me think of One Day Like This by Elbow.

12 minutes ago, CHRLY said:

I don't really like the new Slowdive track. It's long been a dream for me to see them play When The Sun Hits on the Park as the sun goes down, so I'd definitely be there if they play. New song just feels like one of those bands that NME rave about for a week then forget about.

I can see what you mean about it. It seems kinda formulaic (you can sorta hear what's gonna happen next throughout) and sounds more like the bands that Slowdive inspired than Slowdive themselves - TOY being one that came to mind. That said, I listened to it on repeat about five times because I was digging it that much so it's still a thumbs up from me.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I can see what you mean about it. It seems kinda formulaic (you can sorta hear what's gonna happen next throughout) and sounds more like the bands that Slowdive inspired than Slowdive themselves - TOY being one that came to mind. That said, I listened to it on repeat about five times because I was digging it that much so it's still a thumbs up from me.

I guess I just have a romantic attachment to the first three albums - mainly Souvlaki - so it's weird to hear such a pop song from them.

Now we've just got this to worry about...

13 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

new Slowdive song Star Roving has just premiered on Radio 6. sounded pretty damn good to my ears

Love that - top of my Glastonbury wishlist. Radiohead are the only band that would keep me away.

I only discovered them a couple of years ago, so this album is coming at the perfect time. Can't imagine how it would feel to have waited 20-odd years! Souvlaki is a classic, and started my love of the shoegaze/dreampop genre.

Edited by Lubic87

17 hours ago, CHRLY said:

Yeah, practically the same chords innit?

Three new releases that I've been eyeing up for a while now were out today. Here's what I think of all of em:

The XX, I See You: Really great album, can't wait to see them subbing Radiohead now (which will definitely happen)

Bonobo, Migration: Can't get on with this one. Yes the production is great but I just find it really dull in places and Break Apart really gets on my wick.

The Flaming Lips, Oczy Mlody: Five tracks in and already this is intriguing me in a "not sure if it's bad or good" kind of way. Really enjoyed We A Family, will probably take me a couple of listens to figure out what I think about this one.