2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

Said it before and I'll say it again because I've been rinsing it on Spotify.

The Districts - Popular Manipulations is a fantastic record and for fans of early Manchester Orchestra, I urge you to listen.

Album highlights - If Before I Wake, Ordinary Day, Salt, Why Would I Wanna Be, Fat Kiddo and Capable.

Not really feeling that new St Vincent song at all, and I'm only lukewarm on New York. 

Love the Alvvays album already. Been rinsing the first three singles and live recordings of three others, leaving less than half of the album unknown going in, but still great to hear it all together with the studio versions.

Some really good albums out today. Obviously Sleep Well Beast is amazing and will probably end up being my album of the year.

I'm really enjoying the new Zola Jesus album Okovi too, I liked the singles going into this but the album tracks in the second half are even better. I don't know a great deal of her other stuff but I'll definitely get round to it at some point now.

New Alex Cameron is good too, builds on his great debut from a few years ago and overall is a really solid album. Sound is very 80s in places and the lyrics are quite funny too. 

I'm quite enjoying Anna of the North's debut album too, nothing new or exciting but some nice songs on here although I do think that some of their earlier singles that were left off the album are better than anything on here.

Alvvays album is good too, albeit not quite as fun as their debut was. In Undertow is still my favourite song on it but new stuff like Not My Baby and Saved By a Waif are really good too. 

Death From Above's new album is pretty bad though. To be honest I think they'd have been better just stopping after The Physical World as there's not really any need to release a much worse version of the first two and it's not like anyone really cares about them that much now.

Feel odd posting about months old music when there's so many great albums out at the moment but I didn't clock Otoboke Beaver had new stuff out in the summer, its great as ever. If you don't know these girls you need them on your radar, catchy aggressive punk/garage from Japan, cool as out.

On 9/6/2017 at 7:45 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

They've both been brilliant you plebian, and Melodrama is AotY (aside from the horrible vocal recording that makes every consonant she says drown out everything else and make it sound like she's spitting right in your ears so headphones be an uncomfortable listen). Also if being in Fun doesn't get you on a music industry blacklist then nowt will.

I think Melodrama is brilliant in spite of Jack Antonoff and not because of him plus his new Taylor Swift song is bobbins too. Also it's a bit odd that he's seems to be on a mission to co-write songs with every female artist in music despite not really having the talent to back it up. 

8 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Some really good albums out today. Obviously Sleep Well Beast is amazing and will probably end up being my album of the year.

I'm really enjoying the new Zola Jesus album Okovi too, I liked the singles going into this but the album tracks in the second half are even better. I don't know a great deal of her other stuff but I'll definitely get round to it at some point now.

New Alex Cameron is good too, builds on his great debut from a few years ago and overall is a really solid album. Sound is very 80s in places and the lyrics are quite funny too. 

I'm quite enjoying Anna of the North's debut album too, nothing new or exciting but some nice songs on here although I do think that some of their earlier singles that were left off the album are better than anything on here.

Alvvays album is good too, albeit not quite as fun as their debut was. In Undertow is still my favourite song on it but new stuff like Not My Baby and Saved By a Waif are really good too. 

Death From Above's new album is pretty bad though. To be honest I think they'd have been better just stopping after The Physical World as there's not really any need to release a much worse version of the first two and it's not like anyone really cares about them that much now.

I'm really liking Outrage is Now at the moment. It probably actually trumps The Physical World in that it's not trying to recreate the debut and they're trying to utilise their sound a bit differently. The two singles took a bit to grow on me but the album seems immediately badass. This guy cares about them.

I'm leaving Sleep Well Beast until I can have a proper immersive listening experience - dessert if you will - but listened to Alvvays and Alex Cameron and each of those have tweaked their blueprint and still delivered for me as well. It's a good day.

3 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

The Alvvays album is really really good, prefer it to the debut 

May be the same for me after a few listens. The debut is a real purdy record and all and it succeeded in putting them on the map but I feel like they've got some room to breathe on this one and Molly has really come on as a powerful and emotive singer.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm really liking Outrage is Now at the moment. It probably actually trumps The Physical World in that it's not trying to recreate the debut and they're trying to utilise their sound a bit differently. The two singles took a bit to grow on me but the album seems immediately badass. This guy cares about them.

I'm leaving Sleep Well Beast until I can have a proper immersive listening experience - dessert if you will - but listened to Alvvays and Alex Cameron and each of those have tweaked their blueprint and still delivered for me as well. It's a good day.

It does seem to have got decent reviews from critics and fans so must just be me. I'll give it another few listens but just didn't work for me at all.

The Mount Kimbie album Matt mentioned above is a good listen too so yeah, a very good day for new albums.

New Alvvays is pretty decent, but a lot of the songs sounded quite different/better when I saw them live last night.

That new Otoboke Beaver is decent, not really all that distinguishable from the stuff they've made already, but when you have a good thing going why change it?

Some absolute worldies out today - Sleep Well Beast is everything I hoped it would be and more. Also seriously enjoying Lovers by Anna Of The North, an easily consumable non-offensive spot of electro-pop is always something that works for me. 

Big one for me today though is Noah Gundersen's third single from his upcoming record White Noise. Only ever really been an (admittedly very good) acoustically orientated singer songwriter but I'm loving his new direction. 

On 06/09/2017 at 2:47 PM, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Neil Young - Hitchhiker out day after tomorrow (8th Sep)

All recorded in a single session in 76.

I might have just highlighted this in the wrong thread.....

I guess it belongs in both,

And when we got on ship
He brought out
something for the trip
And said, It's old but it's good

Edited by bamber

Loving the new Alvvays album. Was already familiar with most of the new songs from the gigs, but nice to have studio recordings. Relieved New Haircut made it to the album after all - one of my live favourites.

Great gig in Manchester too the other night. Not sure I've been that close to a band before. Was almost being pushed on to Molly's pedal board at one point ha.

Can anybody DM me the new url for getleaks? I can't get leaks without getleaks!

1 hour ago, Lubic87 said:

Great gig in Manchester too the other night. Not sure I've been that close to a band before. Was almost being pushed on to Molly's pedal board at one point ha.

Quality of inbetween song banter was very high

Excellent interview with current AotY beltholder Lorde here http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-844-lorde

Loved hearing about her musical influences, she's enthusiastic about a lot of the same stuff I love so it's no surprise I've loved Melodrama so much. Particularly a big fan of her love for my main man Paul Simon (didn't clock that sample on the album until she pointed it out, nice!), and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, or you might say THE REAL Fleetwood Mac, or you might more accurately say THE ONLY Fleetwood Mac. Word of warning to those not fond of being made to feel old; it's only a throwaway line, but you really aren't going to like how young this adult woman says she was when My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy came out.