2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

They were good, only managed 9 songs in about 70 minutes but I guess that comes with not really having any short songs and I can't complain given the price. Sounded huge live. They seem to be a reasonably big deal in Australia so hopefully over time they build up a decent following here too, they said the gig was sold out but didn't look like there was more than 150 people there. 

Yeah it dawned on me that they must be something in Australia when I heard all the orchestral backing they had up and down the album. That doesn't come cheap for an indie rock band on their second LP. I am envisioning their recent tour was probably mostly be a gathering of the city's Antipodes. But yeah hopefully they can carry it off here cos they're not a style Britain is averse to and would translate well at some festies.

Edited by dentalplan

35 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i'm putting this here only because I think everyone should listen to this imagining it's Danny Dyer speaking. :P

Jeeeeze this is the track they've been rinsing on 6music. I thought it was saying welcome to my hand me downs. Oops. 

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

New Ezra Furman album 'Transangelic Exodus' out Feb 9. Some English tour dates in Liverpool, Leeds and Folkestone around that time too, on sale tomoz.

New track out from him too which is much more what I want from him. Got a groovy kinda baroque thing going on and it's like he's pushing my buttons on purpose. My hype for the record is back, love it!

Do have to question what the fuck those dates are though. I don't even know where Folkestone is.

New Franz Ferdinand song tomorrow, they get lumped in with indie landfill that should be left in the previous decade but their albums have stood the test of time for me, some really great stuff on Tonight and while it's a bit weird I kinda like that they re-recorded old songs and brought them up a level with their next albums bonus disk. They were great live in FFS as well, even if I don't really go back to that album.

Also that new Parquet Courts/Daniele Luppi collab album leaked yesterday so if one of you can listen to that so I know how excited to be about Friday that'd be top.

Also I know I'm late with this but I only realised the Brand New album was on Spotify on Friday and I'm loving it, never been a big fan but had to give it a whirl after you lot fawning over it so thanks for that.

Edited by priest17
My phone prefers shoukd to should for some reason.

On 16/10/2017 at 11:18 PM, Mouseboy11 said:

Hope these guys take off, they're great. Seen Chris in the pub a few times, nice bloke.

On 17/10/2017 at 10:34 AM, Tommy101 said:

Sounding good for me. I met them after a support slot last year (maybe supporting Frank Carter?). I was impressed by their sound and seemed like nice chaps as @Mouseboy11 said.

Dudes, I just sought this song out on iTunes and peeped that Joe from Idles and Seb from Death from Above are featuring on this new album. Pretty exciting. The singer from Royal Blood is there as well so might get them a bit of Radio X play or something but yeah these guys oughta be better known.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:06 AM, priest17 said:

New Franz Ferdinand song tomorrow, they get lumped in with indie landfill that should be left in the previous decade but their albums have stood the test of time for me, some really great stuff on Tonight and while it's a bit weird I kinda like that they re-recorded old songs and brought them up a level with their next albums bonus disk. They were great live in FFS as well, even if I don't really go back to that album.

I always have time for some new Franz, they should be nowhere near the Indie Landfill tag. They were more art-rockers.

Strange to think now that they were headliner size at one time.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I always have time for some new Franz, they should be nowhere near the Indie Landfill tag. They were more art-rockers.

Strange to think now that they were headliner size at one time.

It's a flawed tag to begin with. Can't accuse this of it anyway:

I think it sounds great, bet it'll be a great boogie live. New album February 9th (same as Ezra's iirc? Definitely dancing to work that day).

On 24/10/2017 at 9:06 AM, priest17 said:

New album by Catholic Action "In Memory Of" sounds a bit Franz Ferdinand (or the fella's voice does) via some Weezer-y power pop. Not gonna be the most impacting album you'll hear this month but a fun little record nonetheless. You've probably heard of them but other fans of Franz may be new to them I s'pose.

3 hours ago, tjamest said:

Anyone who is partial to the odd bit of country give Margo Price's new album a listen, it's great and makes me sad i missed her at Glastonbury this year

Aw man it was great, ya missed out. Her new album is pretty delightful - closing track is a diamond.

I saw that she's in UK with that Country 2 Country show next year, going on before Emmylou Harris which is quite a 1-2... but then the night is headlined by Little Big Town?! Shameful programming.

Edited by dentalplan

Hmmmm...sadly I'm less enthused of the new #Madge joint.  I dig that it sounds all Little Feat at points, but too few up tempo stormers in the last 3/4 of the album.

Been humming and hawing about that country twatfest cos Emmylou Harris is still on my bucket list, but it's all seated and tickets ain't cheap.  I don't even know who Little Big Town are.