2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Bit early but this might be their best since Primary Colours.

Could even challenge LCD and the National for AOTY.

Saw a video of them playing Hologram in Mexico last week and the poor kid's phone is nearly destroyed by the bass.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep a shame that they've probably stalled/are possibly even on the decline popularity wise as they've not taken a wrong turn since Primary Colours. 

It's genuinely pretty frustrating now that they're still a young band but they have an array of massive tunes that wouldn't be out of place among the new school of headliners yet they're stuck playing the same old venues, same old arena/stadium support slots and the only fests they'd headline are inner-city ones. That exquisite cover of Your Love that they did at Glasto a couple of years back and the whole festival was at Dolly/Ed - it really gets my goat, man, :lol:

• Like 1

Right I'm ready for a break from The Horrors' album, any recommendations for other albums that came out today? I'm sure there was supposed to be a few... I checked out Brix and the Extricated's debut and I quite like it, you can hear the dirt of The Fall in the background with the Hanley's bass and beats, Brix is decent enough fronting it and The Fall songs they do hold up rather than making me desperate to go and listen to the originals, even if the L.A cover is a little pointless. Overall a decent listen, not as good as The Fall's latest though.

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

Right I'm ready for a break from The Horrors' album, any recommendations for other albums that came out today? I'm sure there was supposed to be a few... I checked out Brix and the Extricated's debut and I quite like it, you can hear the dirt of The Fall in the background with the Hanley's bass and beats, Brix is decent enough fronting it and The Fall songs they do hold up rather than making me desperate to go and listen to the originals, even if the L.A cover is a little pointless. Overall a decent listen, not as good as The Fall's latest though.

That record that Cally posted upthread is gorgeous stuff.

14 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I'm still Horroring but I'll be listening to new Wand, Metz, Omni, GY!BE and Chelsea Wolfe this weekend. And the record recommended above now.

Edited by dentalplan

LOVED that Clientele album, never heard of them before, will probably have a stab at their back catalogue (yes that is a word Google Chrome...) when I don't have the Friday Feeling. can't find a stream of Wand's album and I'm too broke to buy it so that'll have to wait, seeing them in Manchester in January so I'll have to listen before then. Going through Enter Shikari's now, god they're shite (but they're a bit of a guilty pleasure truth be told).

Never got the hype around Horrors. In fact, I'm so not fussed about them, that I actually went and watched Paul ruddy Weller over them at Latitude one year. Paul Weller! The decision-making process was like this "there are no seats at the Horrors, but there are seats at Paul Weller, I shall watch Paul Weller". Saying I "watched" Paul Weller is not completely true, mind you; I was technically in the audience and Paul was on the stage, but it would've been very challenging for me to pay attention.

44 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Never got the hype around Horrors. In fact, I'm so not fussed about them, that I actually went and watched Paul ruddy Weller over them at Latitude one year. Paul Weller! The decision-making process was like this "there are no seats at the Horrors, but there are seats at Paul Weller, I shall watch Paul Weller". Saying I "watched" Paul Weller is not completely true, mind you; I was technically in the audience and Paul was on the stage, but it would've been very challenging for me to pay attention.

Christ pal you love The Modfather and hate The Black Tubes, we get it.

7 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Not going to get the chance to listen to too many new albums this weekend but listened to Phoebe Bridgers debut this morning which is great. Motion Sickness is one of ny favourite songs of the year so far. 

I'd never heard of her before but saw her album pop up on a leak site as I was scrolling through and really liked the album cover so just went ahead and downloaded it based purely off of that. Glad I did - really nice album. Hate to think of how many good bands/albums I've avoided because of their shitty names or covers :lol:

No love for the new Cut Copy album on here? It's a very solid 7/10. Not as good as Free Your Mind but that was shocked full of 303 baselines and screaming pianos so always going to be more to my liking. 

The new one is full of lovely melodies and more natural sounding beats.  

6 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Not going to get the chance to listen to too many new albums this weekend but listened to Phoebe Bridgers debut this morning which is great. Motion Sickness is one of ny favourite songs of the year so far. 

Wow, that track is just lovely. I'm definitely going to listen to the album next week.