2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

I like the guys pretending to like Pure Comedy, doing great work. I get it you know; Preacher Bob Sauna tries to shake off the normie fucks who liked his good album by releasing one that's arse, so you pretend to like the shite record to force him to make another good record to shake you off again. I hope the plan works!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bit late to this but in no particular order;

King Gizzard - Masters of the Universe

Kendrick Lemar - DAMN

Moonlandingz - Interplanetary Class Classics

Richard Dawson - Peasant

Sleaford Mods - English Tapas

Here Lies Man - Here Lies Man

Ty Segall - Ty Segall

Thundercat - Drunk

IDLES - Brutalism

Joey Bada$$ - ALL-AMERIKKKAN BADA$$

Shout out to TOUTS for best EP of the year, excited to see where they go (despite their old school sound being what I like about them so much). RTJ would be in there but they released that christmas last year? That said I didn't put it in last years list coz it was so near the end. Bad planning lads.

Most excited about The Horrors new one, looking forward to The Fall's new one and QOTSA (among many others obviously). Gorillaz biggest disappointment. 

On 01/07/2017 at 5:15 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

What's biggest disappointment? Paramore? Soulwax?

What will be the biggest disappointment yet to come? Arcade Fire? LCD?

What we looking for to the most before the end of the year? Susanne Sundfor for me.

Biggest disappointment has to be Gorillaz. 

Biggest disappointment to come would have been Arcade Fire but I think the new singles have been so crap already that I have no expectations for them any more anyway. I'm praying that LCD Soundsystem will deliver.

Ghostpoet, Everything Everything and the War on Drugs are ones that I'm hopeful for for the rest of the year. Also that JAY Z sees sense and puts his album on Spotify, because I refuse to pay for Tidal...

12 minutes ago, nosajthing said:

. Also that JAY Z sees sense and puts his album on Spotify, because I refuse to pay for Tidal...

I actually really like the album, his best in ages, guys an eejit for not just releasing it normally though. I understand wanting to promote the business but it cheapens the music, he could've smashed it and got some serious acclaim if he'd just gone through the normal channels. I know Beyonce did something similar but his fanbase is no way near hers. 

7 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I actually really like the album, his best in ages, guys an eejit for not just releasing it normally though. I understand wanting to promote the business but it cheapens the music, he could've smashed it and got some serious acclaim if he'd just gone through the normal channels. I know Beyonce did something similar but his fanbase is no way near hers. 

I've heard it's really good, and I do kind of want to listen, but it frustrates me that he's using it to try and get people to use a service which is by most accounts failing. I reckon he should probably be working on making Tidal a unique platform/something different/something better rather than using his art to try and force people into buying into it? I think if he did like, B-sides or remixes, or released a short film or something with it and made that Tidal exclusive, it would make sense, but to make the entire album inaccessible to all except Tidal users seems a bit pointless really. It was frustrating with Beyonce too, and I really enjoyed Lemonade (used my Tidal free trial on that..) but it didn't get the listens that it deserved because of the whole Tidal thing

Few days old but not sure if they've been posted, what's the general consensus on the new Tyler, The Creator stuff? I wasn't a fan of Cherry Bomb and considered myself pretty finished with him as he seemed to disappear further up his own arse. Actually really like both his new tunes so far..

When Tyler the Creator first came onto the scene I really wanted to like him. But, apart from Yonkers which was excellent, I was never really feeling his music; felt it was basically early Eminem's schtick but without the sardonic wit - in fact he largely just came across as puerile which was disappointing. Don't think it helps that at best, he's only an above average rapper - think there's other's with more talent in Odd Future.

Having said all that, those two songs posted do show more promise - perhaps because he's still offbeat but appears to have toned it down somewhat? 

Also, @Mouseboy11, just out of curiosity is that Newport, South Wales you're from?

Edited by Tyonks
Noticed opportunity to be nosey

9 minutes ago, Tyonks said:

When Tyler the Creator first came onto the scene I really wanted to like him. But, apart from Yonkers which was excellent, I was never really feeling his music; felt it was basically early Eminem's schtick but without the sardonic wit - in fact he largely just came across as puerile which was disappointing. Don't think it helps that at best, he's only an above average rapper - think there's other's with more talent in Odd Future.

Having said all that, those two songs posted do show more promise - perhaps because he's still offbeat but appears to have toned it down somewhat? 

Also, @Mouseboy11, just out of curiosity is that Newport, South Wales you're from?

Yeah, I think a lot his strengths does lay in his production skills as like you said he's not that spectacular a rapper.

It is indeed mate, yeah :D 

50 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Few days old but not sure if they've been posted, what's the general consensus on the new Tyler, The Creator stuff? I wasn't a fan of Cherry Bomb and considered myself pretty finished with him as he seemed to disappear further up his own arse. Actually really like both his new tunes so far..

Yeah Cherry Bomb was awful. Some criminal mixing on there as well. I was thinking that he (and Earl) was probably just about finished given how much hip hop has changed since Odd Future days. Still might struggle to capture those days but coming back with these tracks is promising and pleasantly surprising.

Edited by dentalplan

51 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

New song is pretty good. :(

A lot better than that awful last one they put out, isn't it? Nothing amazing but I can appreciate it. Like the dreampop influences and the buildup on it, lacks much of a hook though. It's enjoyable background music rather than being really dumb and grating like the last one.

If anyone wants a listen:

Edited by Mash011

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

New song is pretty good. :(

You're getting less Fantano and more Other stage these days. I quite like the new one too though. I was thinking about them the other day as possible Latitude headliners for next year, seem like a decent fit for the Friday headliner there.

2 hours ago, Mash011 said:

A lot better than that awful last one they put out, isn't it? Nothing amazing but I can appreciate it. Like the dreampop influences and the buildup on it, lacks much of a hook though. It's enjoyable background music rather than being really dumb and grating like the last one.

If anyone wants a listen:

Yuk Foo is a filthy banger! Really like this one as well, I sort of know what you mean about I being background music though. I felt like a man album bridging track, rather than a second single, but it really builds towards the end. Can see it working better live. 

Pretty sure the new Moonlandingz album, Interplanetary Class Classics will be up there for me come the end of the year; it's awesome. Saw them on the Park stage and they looked 'interesting' let's say. I wasn't at the front but he appeared to have something fixed to the top of his head with cling-film and was painted red. 

6 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Pretty sure the new Moonlandingz album, Interplanetary Class Classics will be up there for me come the end of the year; it's awesome. Saw them on the Park stage and they looked 'interesting' let's say. I wasn't at the front but he appeared to have something fixed to the top of his head with cling-film and was painted red. 

yeh mate Lias is bonkers. When I saw them a few months ago he had no shirt on, was wrapped in clingfilm and had words written on him in lipstick. He's always had an ''interesting'' live look, he occasionally used to play naked with Fat White Family.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

You're getting less Fantano and more Other stage these days. I quite like the new one too though. I was thinking about them the other day as possible Latitude headliners for next year, seem like a decent fit for the Friday headliner there.

First year I went to Glasto I spent most of my time at the Other Stage so I think it's always been in me. :P

But I dunno, I think there are acts ahead of them in the queue for that so perhaps just a high slot st R+L first and if that goes well then a Latitude headline set. They're a bit hard to predict at the moment with neither of the last two singles being Moaning Lisa Smile type tunes that get peeps going. Much more interesting from where I'm sat tho (although I said that before Relaxer and, well..).

19 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Eh I disagree. There is no real big hook and it doesn't get you jumping but that's not the point. Plus the background music thing is pretty lazy thing to throw at dream pop kinda stuff (also when people say it about ambient stuff) u lazy ass mf. 

It is an oddly vast contrast to the last track but a similar throwback. I hope they're not just picking thru influences and trying to imitate one. Only Arcade Fire are allowed to do that this year.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I disagree. There is no real big hook and it doesn't get you jumping but that's not the point. Plus the background music thing is pretty lazy thing to throw at dream pop kinda stuff (also when people say it about ambient stuff) u lazy ass mf. 

Yeah fair. Just like, really good dreampop grabs your attention regardless. This one I didn't even want to listen to a second time. 

Tbf most of liking for that band comes from how great their WG slot was in 2015 rather than from having ever really cared for their music.