2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

2 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Where should I start with these? Heard 'So you'll aim towards the sky' the other day and loved it

both Under the Western Freeway and The Sophtware Slump are widely considered their best so check out either of them (maybe The Sophtware Slump as that song closes out that album)

Yuh. If you love that song you'll get your goods from The Sophtware Slump. UTWF is a bit more raw, as debuts often are, and kinda rockier so you could alternatively start with that and see how they progress (my usual method of getting into a band is with the debut onwards) but one of those two you'll be right.

Edited by dentalplan

On 08/12/2016 at 8:23 PM, MattDavies__ said:

New At The Drive In (with a lyric video!!)

This is actually a lot better than I expected it to be. Would fucking love it if they played Glastonbury. A man can dream...

6 hours ago, Mash011 said:

I've gotta say, January is looking like a stupidly good month for album releases. You've got Flaming Lips, RTJ and The xx all dropping albums on the same day, then Foxygen a week later. Very exciting stuff.

Oosh!! I have high high hopes for the RTJ album in particular, I think (/hope) it'll be a classic.

Skipped the last Foxygen album after reading some ropey reviews, but might jump back in for this one. Did anyone enjoy their last? Did I miss out?

42 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Skipped the last Foxygen album after reading some ropey reviews, but might jump back in for this one. Did anyone enjoy their last? Did I miss out?

their last one had some good moments and if you're a fan i'd say it's worth a listen through, but it was overlong and there was a fair bit of forgettable to puzzling stuff on there. hoping the new one is more focused, as We are the 21st Century... was a great little pop album

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

their last one had some good moments and if you're a fan i'd say it's worth a listen through, but it was overlong and there was a fair bit of forgettable to puzzling stuff on there. hoping the new one is more focused, as We are the 21st Century... was a great little pop album

That it was, and No Destruction is a song I've played to death from that record. I won't rush out for their last though, and hope the new one is good. If it's not it might struggle for plays with so many albums coming out in Jan.

16 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Why not? Won't be any worse than Carnival of Light.

Well... that's my exact fear actually. Plus, being better than Carnival of Light doesn't exactly qualify it for much. I guess I'm just confused as to why they'd go back there - their initial comeback was successful enough, but they were quickly downgrading to much smaller venues when they did the Nowhere tour. The last to records they put out were absolute trash, I just don't feel like it's gonna work out. 

3 hours ago, big__phil said:

Oosh!! I have high high hopes for the RTJ album in particular, I think (/hope) it'll be a classic.

Well they certainly seem to have cut back on some of the excesses of that last one which, yeah, is a bit of a slog, but has scattered brilliant tunes (How Can You Really, Coulda Been My Love, What Are We Good For, Everyone Needs Love). They've gone from 24 tracks to just 8. But considering the greatness of the new tracks they've put out so far I've high hopes