Headliners 2017

SERRIDGER

So after Arcade Fire were announced for the Saturday what does that mean for other potential headliners 

Phil Collins - signed up for Hyde Park exclusively and current tour dates mean he can't play the Friday or Sunday (thank god)

Coldplay - can play the Friday but not the Sunday . Unlikely as France in the Thursday night 

Depeche Mode - tour commitments mean it is 99% unlikely 

Aerosmith - in Sweden Thursday night and Download Sunday so unlikely 

Ed Sheehan - No tour dates in 2017

Kings of Leon - no tour dates beyond March 

Guns n Roses - no European dates announced yet

Green Day - free IOW weekend but playing Hyde Park in July ( not signed as a U.K. Exclusive like  Collins) 

These were  potential headliners I'd seen mentioned in various press reports 

Edited by SERRIDGER

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd expect there to be another silly bump up/co-headliner deal going on, although i couldn't guess at who those two names would be

i assume the third headliner will be a bit of a big deal as Arcade Fire aren't exactly a huge ticket seller. if the Green Day thing is true then perhaps them, or at a long shot Guns 'N Roses could still be in the running (probably the only headliner that's gonna guarantee them huge sales)

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

no Stone Roses? :blink:

Whoops forgot about them, humble apologies .

Stone Roses - free IOW weekend and then start UK shows on the Tuesday in Belfast . Could be  used as a perfect warm up gig for those shows

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - touring Canada but have a 3 week break between which includes IOW weekend 

Edited by SERRIDGER

U2 said they'll be doing fests next year, didn't they? If so, they seem a very IOW booking and are definitely the type of act they need to draw in punters. The festival may also have to wait until they start announcing live shows which would explain why they led with Arcade Fire who aren't really a massive draw.

Not sure about The Stone Roses now. With Foo Fighters obviously being active again I imagine Radiohead/Sheeran/Foos will have been a lock in for Glasto for a while, and therefore I don't really believe the story about them having the Roses in the bag who then bailed in favour of a better money offer at IOW.

The Pinkpop organiser did say the Foos' decision to tour was a last minute one but apparently his word is very unreliable and he was probably just covering his back for not bagging them himself. I doubt all the festivals the Foos have been announced for had a headliner vacancy coincidentally open for a last minute Foos decision.

So, to sum up:

Shite co-headline (someone + Chase and Status maybe)

Arcade Fire

U2

Edit: Green Day, KOL and RHCP seem feasible options too I guess

Edited by Will-2609

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

I can see Paolo Nutini being part of the co-headlining night, no idea who with though, could even end up just being Major Lazer or someone. Not sure Chase & Status are a big enough deal for that kind of slot anymore but I guess Faithless weren't really either.

Yeah Major Lazer seemed the best choice but I think they'll be at R&L instead as either a co-headliner or sub, and also as an Other headliner at Glasto. Paolo Nutini is a good shout, that's the kind of act I was trying to think of. Someone like Elbow too wouldn't be any worse than Stereophonics this year.

They need someone huge for Sunday to match the last couple of years and keep the festival going, AF on Saturday whilst not my thing is a step in the right direction but I've got a feeling the big top will be rammed whilst they are on, judging by the reaction of FB most IOW goers don't even know who they are. It's a bold attempt to attract a different audience.

49 minutes ago, Smeble said:

They need someone huge for Sunday to match the last couple of years and keep the festival going, AF on Saturday whilst not my thing is a step in the right direction but I've got a feeling the big top will be rammed whilst they are on, judging by the reaction of FB most IOW goers don't even know who they are. It's a bold attempt to attract a different audience.

Tbf they are a bit of niche band, they have a big fan base but you wouldn't know anything about them if you weren't at least slightly interested.

It's nice to see Isle of Wight taking a relative gamble on Arcade Fire (although I suspect it's a choice taken more out of necessity than anything) however there is a gaping chasm between the attitudes and requirements of the average Isle of Wight punter and the band's core fanbase

Despite their status Arcade Fire are not the sort of name to whet the appetites of the very casual/out of touch music fan that Isle of Wight attracts whilst Arcade Fire fans are not going to want to travel to a festival subbed by Ocean Colour Scene with a sports TV field sponsored by BT

Case in point: I created a poll on an Isle of Wight Festival Facebook group asking people who they would like to play before Arcade Fire, the only suggestions made apart from my own were for Embrace and Chas n Dave

Arcade Fire really are too cool for this. The amount that their social media had to apologise to leather-skinned Benidorm-botherers and urge them to give Arcade Fire 'a go or try one of the other stages' as if they're some local upstarts when they're probably the most consistently critically acclaimed act of the 21st century was painfully embarrassing and could do well to put someone off going if they're a fan

The announcement originally tempted me but I'd much rather see them in front of an appreciative crowd with a decent undercard for about two thirds of the price at Best Kept Secret

Edited by rawaudioinput

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Another mixed reaction on Facebook, based on the reactions of Arcade Fire and Rod Stewart on Facebook, sales must be pretty slow this far.

Why would they be fast yet anyway? You have two headliners and no other acts announced so far.

I'd majorly doubt the Roses now. Unless they have got GNR to pull out for Friday I think this will be a shambles, and the chances of that happening and having Rod close instead imo aren't high.

Edited by thewayiam

Did they have a go through Bestival's amnesty bin before booking him?

I echo the sentiments that I had in my previous post; how in bloody hell are they going to sell this festival to Arcade Fire fans? The fans of their marquee act? Negotiating for Depeche Mode would have made a great deal more sense to be honest, I'm sure it wouldn't have broken any box office records but it'd have a damn better chance of keeping the festival afloat than this