Open'er festival 2017

pete76

5 hours ago, TheGoodOldDays said:

From blaming cars on the road for traffic (how is that the festivals fault? Leave earlier if you want to catch a band?) to staying a fair distance from the site and whinging it takes ages to get back?

...Decent crowd and some great bands! 

Well traffic is in some ways the festivals fault as the Line Up had lack of highlights, so that all people went to the festival just for the headliners at the same time. If you have more interesting bands people keep coming earlier to the festival site,

I am also back and yes overall I had a nice time, but compared to other festivals in Europe I visited Opener can't really compete.

Here is just a list with positive and negative things:
Positive:
++ Strong headliners with Radiohead and Foo Fighters being 2 of the best available bands this summer in Europe
+ Price performance ratio is good
+ lots of different food on festival site
+ friendly audience and people
+ I loved the Zyviec APA beer

Negative:
-- Travel time to the festival site. From Gdynia train station to the front of the center stage it took you between 60-120 minutes depending on the traffic.
-- Disappointing Line Up in total. It was just focused on the headliners. Lack of international acts apart from Headliners. Very strange combination of bands (Prophets of Rage -> Weeknd)
- XX and Weeknd only played 65 minutes. This is really short for a headliner set.
- Weather (Can't blame the festival for that)
- Long walking distance to the tent stage.
- Why can you only bring Heineken 3 beer to the main stage and not other drinks bought on the festival site? I never experienced something strange like this. I first thought it was a joke than the guy told me I can't enter center stage area with my APA beer.

In total I had to travel around 13 hours in 4 days to see 9,5 bands (5 minutes Royal Blood, James Blake, Radiohead, Charlie XCX, Kills, Foo Fighters, Prophets of Rage, Weeknd, The XX and Lorde).Other festivals manage to book bands like this in 2 or 3 days. I am used to see 5-6 bands each days on festivals with an interesting Line Up.

I don't want to sound harsh. I am just showing my point of view. As it was also a holiday for me and not only a festival trip and as I was really focused to see Radiohead and Foo Fighters I can live with the result. I also don't want to rule out to come back one day...

If I had just come to Gdynia for the festival  I would have been really disappointed...

Festival rating: 6/10

Edited by bintang

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Jack White can be ruled out as the Wednesday headliner;

• June 27: Hammersmith Apollo, London
  • June 28: Hammersmith Apollo, London
  • July 2: AFAS Live, Amsterdam
  • July 3: L'Olympia, Paris
  • July 4: L'Olympia, Paris

EDIT: Sorry for digging up the old thread, don't know what happened there

Edited by gregory
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I'm going to Open'er this year. I am not much of a beer drinker. I was planning to fill a hipflask with alcohol, would I be able to smuggle this in? Do they do all over body checks? What if I strapped it to my leg?

Thanks

44 minutes ago, 207 said:

Hi there,

I'm going to Open'er this year. I am not much of a beer drinker. I was planning to fill a hipflask with alcohol, would I be able to smuggle this in? Do they do all over body checks? What if I strapped it to my leg?

Thanks

Hi, to be honest, it's a matter of luck. I've seen a lot od people being caught with miniature bottles of vodka, but I've also seen a lot of people drinking these on the festival area :D I guees strapping it to your leg might not be enoguh.

Btw. There's a 2018 edition thread.