This morning...

The Red Telephone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

yep, and people are slowly realising the gap between rich and poor is absolutely massive, and things are getting much much worse as the austerity measures kick in. In the current era where information is freely available, it is no longer possible for the establishment to put up smoke and mirrors. People are sick of it and want change. So anyone offering change will be successful. It doesnt matter what the change is.

As someone correctly put it in the thread in discussions - The real fear factor in all this revolves around who people will be 'sick of' once they realise that the 'changes' they have voted for havent altered their situations at all a few years down the line

Edited by mjsell

I'm not saying I support him either way, but for all the people who are slating him about building walls and how great Glastonbury is, does anyone see the irony that around Glastonbury... with all the security... is a great...  big...  fucking... wall? 

Edit. My phone signal isn't great and pressed it twice by accident. 

Edited by Cornelius_Fudge

1 minute ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

I'm not saying I support him either way, but for all the people who are slating him about building walls and how great Glastonbury is, does anyone see the irony that around Glastonbury... with all the security... is a great...  big...  fucking... wall? 

I'm immune to that because I went before there was a wall and there is a thing called continuity. Free thinking thrives at Glastonbury and I am living Testament to that.

Are people that surprised with this result? Really? 

People are sick of career politicians. They're all (mostly) absolute slimeballs who lie their way to power and have no qualms about stabbing people in the back. People feel disenfranchised as, no matter who they vote for, nothing significant is going to change. Everyone welcomed Obama as the saviour of the USA... what has he actually managed to achieve? Obama Care? People still have to pay, it's not an NHS. Obama, the president of the USA, was completely anti-gun... what has he, the president, actually managed to do to improve the horrific gun-crime situation? Nothing.

Those who have voted for trump have done so to stick a massive middle finger up to the establishment and ridiculous world of American politics. Yes he's a douche-bag, but that's not the point here. It clearly proves that the current political system is rotten and people are sick of it. They want something different, and in Trump they'll get that.

Yes Trump appears to be a sexist, racist and homophobe, but I bet the majority of his voters aren't. 

Edited by StLewi

9 minutes ago, bamber said:

I'm immune to that because I went before there was a wall and there is a thing called continuity. Free thinking thrives at Glastonbury and I am living Testament to that.

Yes but everyone who goes to the festival completely understands why its there, free thinking or not. 

Without that wall, there would be no festive to speak of. 

1 minute ago, StLewi said:

People are sick of career politicians. They're all (mostly) absolute slimeballs who lie their way to power and have no qualms about stabbing people in the back. People feel disenfranchised as, no matter who they vote for, nothing significant is going to change. Everyone welcomed Obama as the saviour of the USA... what has he actually managed to achieve? Obama Care? People still have to pay, it's not an NHS. 

Those who have voted for trump have done so to stick a massive middle finger up to the establishment and ridiculous world of American politics. Yes he's a douche-bag, but that's not the point here. It clearly proves that the current political system is rotten and people are sick of it. 

I for one would rather be ruled by a well educated metropolitan elite than a mob of un-educated Trump supporting Hicks or a rabble of Northern Kippers 

I spoke to a colleague this morning who said their 10 yr old daughter said she doesn't like Trump because "he sexually harasses women"

They told her to get used to it as that's what the world is like.

I know I'm slightly off topic but I had to share this, I can't believe anyone in this day and age would give such a negative message to a child. 

Today has made me realise how backwards the world still is.

4 minutes ago, bamber said:

I for one would rather be ruled by a well educated metropolitan elite than a mob of un-educated Trump supporting Hicks or a rabble of Northern Kippers 

If you lived in America, you'd be in the minority. 

38 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Why, russy? What if the now comfortably earning home owners came from where those people are now, and have managed to retain their understanding of fairness and social justice. I love your posts, mate, but sweeping generalisations on issue like this ain't very you (some of yours are hilarious) and ain't very Glastonbury. Sorry to be that guy today, but we're all incredulous about how the world got to this place. The poor don't have a monopoly on outrage. 

Ben x

well quite. Obviously I didnt mean every single homeowner with a comfortable income. Just the vast majority. I dont blame them,It's hard to comprehend something you have never experienced.  Of course there are the odd exceptions, and thankfully a lot of them can be found at glastonbury!

Edited by russycarps

7 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

Yes but everyone who goes to the festival completely understands why its there, free thinking or not. 

Without that wall, there would be no festive speak of. 

Hypothetically, if there was no wall, I doubt there'd be much difference really.

11 minutes ago, StLewi said:

Obama, the president of the USA, was completely anti-gun... what has he, the president, actually managed to do to improve the horrific gun-crime situation? Nothing.

You really need to do a bit of research on why Obama managed to do 'nothing' on gun laws. Especially when explaining why people voted Trump and the Republicans

14 minutes ago, StLewi said:

People are sick of career politicians. They're all (mostly) absolute slimeballs who lie their way to power and have no qualms about stabbing people in the back. People feel disenfranchised as, no matter who they vote for, nothing significant is going to change. Everyone welcomed Obama as the saviour of the USA... what has he actually managed to achieve? Obama Care? People still have to pay, it's not an NHS. Obama, the president of the USA, was completely anti-gun... what has he, the president, actually managed to do to improve the horrific gun-crime situation? Nothing.

Those who have voted for trump have done so to stick a massive middle finger up to the establishment and ridiculous world of American politics. Yes he's a douche-bag, but that's not the point here. It clearly proves that the current political system is rotten and people are sick of it. They want something different, and in Trump they'll get that.

Yes Trump appears to be a sexist, racist and homophobe, but I bet the majority of his voters aren't. 

Yep spot on. 

The irony of course is that trump has also lied his way to power. But the symbolism of this vote is massive.

The last time a career politican ran on a promise of change it turned out to be an utter lie. Obama has to take his share of blame for this.

11 minutes ago, StLewi said:

The only shred of comfort in this is that the reason Obama couldn't get things done is the same reason Trump (hopefully) won't be able to do what he wants - the American system has so many checks and balances, and a lot of inertia.  Trump is used to getting his own way in his business, being surrounded by sycophants who won't tell him 'no'.  He won't find it so easy in the White House.  And there's always the possibility David Attenborough will take him out...

7 minutes ago, bamber said:

Hypothetically, if there was no wall, I doubt there'd be much difference really.

There's no hypothetical though. They've reduced crime at the festival and also in the surrounding areas. Not to mention overcrowding and the like.  Perhaps you missed this -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2002549.stm

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep spot on. 

The irony of course is that trump has also lied his way to power. But the symbolism of this vote is massive.

The last time a career politican ran on a promise of change it turned out to be an utter lie. Obama has to take his share of blame for this.

Wrong. Obama was the most honest politician in the whole of history.