This morning...

The Red Telephone

10 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

At least California voted to decriminalise marijuana. Not that lots of us will be allowed in to enjoy it now. 

In Glastonbury terms I see it as going back to the eighties/early 90s when it was usual to feel out of step massively from the rightwing rest of the country etc only now lots of those people come to Glastonbury as well so it isnt really the respite it once was.

Agreed. The only safe havens unpolluted by these c**ts these days are within your own 4 walls. It's really depressing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Agreed. The only safe havens unpolluted by these c**ts these days are within your own 4 walls. It's really depressing.

The Festival still is really the least depressing place on earth though....

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Meh. I've just accepted that we now live in world where the majority opinion is to be frightened, angry, selfish, inward-looking, nationalistic, judgmental and indifferent to others.

It just makes me sad.

How did it get like that though?  I've no specific idea, just wondered why it's so "on trend" to be this way.

4 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

How did it get like that though?  I've no specific idea, just wondered why it's so "on trend" to be this way.

In times of turmoil, uncertainty and fear it's easier for extreme(r) views to take hold.  The feeling that a moderate approach is a nice idea, but what's needed is "strength".

Russian Revolution, the rise of the Nazis, the Communist scare of the 50s, Thatcherism, Brexit, Trump.  It's all horribly familiar.

Just now, Quark said:

In times of turmoil, uncertainty and fear it's easier for extreme(r) views to take hold.  The feeling that a moderate approach is a nice idea, but what's needed is "strength".

Russian Revolution, the rise of the Nazis, the Communist scare of the 50s, Thatcherism, Brexit, Trump.  It's all horribly familiar.

What turmoil etc is there though?  Before Brexit, I mean.  It seemed to be Brexit was more low-level turmoil (as in a fear that someone outside your immediate "tribe" was taking from you?  Be it bankers, the "establishment" or immigration?).

Bit of a feed-back loop though, until something breaks.

Just now, EasyUserName said:

What turmoil etc is there though?  Before Brexit, I mean.  It seemed to be Brexit was more low-level turmoil (as in a fear that someone outside your immediate "tribe" was taking from you?  Be it bankers, the "establishment" or immigration?).

Bit of a feed-back loop though, until something breaks.

What turmoil is there?! :blink:

Sorry, bit flippant.  So we, the UK, have been involved in conflict with either Islamic countries or Islamic idealogues since 2003.  The whole development from the invasion of Iraq through to the London bombings, the rise of people like Anjem Choudary and the growth of ISIS/Daesh/whatever you call them. That's been hanging over collective heads for nearly 15 years.

Banking crisis and subsequent economic problems in 2008.

Expansion of the EU and the perception, correct or otherwise, of significant immigration that we cannot control, including a significant exodus of refugees and migrants from parts of the middle east.

All seen as eroding Britain's way of life, coupled with the perceived threat of open doors to terrorists, a country struggling under austerity measures and all that crap.  

Growth of groups like Brirtain First (ptooie) on social media, and the press telling us to be scared of everything. 

All adds up :(

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Sorry, bit flippant.  So we, the UK, have been involved in conflict with either Islamic countries or Islamic idealogues since 2003.  The whole development from the invasion of Iraq through to the London bombings, the rise of people like Anjem Choudary and the growth of ISIS/Daesh/whatever you call them. That's been hanging over collective heads for nearly 15 years.

Expansion of the EU and the perception, correct or otherwise, of significant immigration that we cannot control, including a significant exodus of refugees and migrants from parts of the middle east.

All seen as eroding Britain's way of life, coupled with the perceived threat of open doors to terrorists, a country struggling under austerity measures and all that crap.  

Growth of groups like Brirtain First (ptooie) on social media, and the press telling us to be scared of everything. 

yep, and people are slowly realising the gap between rich and poor is absolutely massive, and things are getting much much worse as the austerity measures kick in. In the current era where information is freely available, it is no longer possible for the establishment to put up smoke and mirrors. People are sick of it and want change. So anyone offering change will be successful. It doesnt matter what the change is. 

Obviously if you are a home owner with a comfortable income you will be unaware of all this.

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

yep, and people are slowly realising the gap between rich and poor is absolutely massive, and things are getting much much worse as the austerity measures kick in. In the current era where information is freely available, it is no longer possible for the establishment to put up smoke and mirrors. People are sick of it and want change. So anyone offering change will be successful. It doesnt matter what the change is. 

Agreed.  Although regardless of how much information is available it's still dominated by the major outlets.  And because it's so widely available it's easier for people to say whatever the want in the knowledge that most people won't fact check it.  Bullshit is still bullshit when it supports your point of view!

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Obviously if you are a home owner with a comfortable income you will be unaware of all this

This, however, I'm calling bollocks on.  I tick both of those boxes, and I'm aware of it.  I'm not directly affected by it, and I couldn't say "I understand how you feel" to someone living out of a single room and relying on a foodbank, but that doesn't mean I'm not aware of what's going on. Or that it makes me sad, angry, frustrated and sick to my guts.

It's not all black and white between have and have nots dude :(

59 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

This is all summed up in one sentence - 'Make America great again', which was Trump's slogan (and Reagan used it too). Basically, you convince people that everything is sh1t - and that you will make it better. 

A poll showed that the majority of Democrat supporters believe that life is better now than 50 years ago. The opposite was true of Republican/Trump supporters.

Edited by Homer

39 minutes ago, Quark said:

15 years is a long time, to end up with this direction we seem to be heading into. 

The various groups that you refer to are loads of separate small bits of society,  Some people might cross over groups, I get.  But, the military stuff seems to impacted some people, been used as an excuse for others to dislike people different from themselves.  But, people impacted by globalism & the economy might not share the same group.

I'm probably not being very clear with this!  What I mean is, if it's taken 15 years and loads of "small impacts" to reach this point, why were there not events happening along the way? If it was a general erosion, I don't think it's impacted everyone equally, and find it strange that we've suddenly become so inward looking.    

42 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Obviously if you are a home owner with a comfortable income you will be unaware of all this.

But hasn't it always been so?  The smoke and mirrors stuff worked well for Brexit (in that the advertising was clearly that, and people bought it).

If you're a regular reader of Private Eye, you'll be well aware of the endless things going on in the country and the world - but no-one has really cared before now, why suddenly?

2 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

But hasn't it always been so?  The smoke and mirrors stuff worked well for Brexit (in that the advertising was clearly that, and people bought it).

If you're a regular reader of Private Eye, you'll be well aware of the endless things going on in the country and the world - but no-one has really cared before now, why suddenly?

This assumes there is a generally accepted Zeitgeist. There is not

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Why, russy? What if the now comfortably earning home owners came from where those people are now, and have managed to retain their understanding of fairness and social justice. I love your posts, mate, but sweeping generalisations on issue like this ain't very you (some of yours are hilarious) and ain't very Glastonbury. Sorry to be that guy today, but we're all incredulous about how the world got to this place. The poor don't have a monopoly on outrage. 

Ben x

9 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Why, russy? What if the now comfortably earning home owners came from where those people are now, and have managed to retain their understanding of fairness and social justice. I love your posts, mate, but sweeping generalisations on issue like this ain't very you (some of yours are hilarious) and ain't very Glastonbury. Sorry to be that guy today, but we're all incredulous about how the world got to this place. The poor don't have a monopoly on outrage. 

Ben x

Anyone living "comfortably" is bucking the trend (globally).