Tent Security

Padgey

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, ironmike8 said:

I'm a total n00b at Glasto (first time this year just gone) but I didn't think people robbing tents was an especially big concern? Obviously I had nothing of value in there (apart from the weeks booze) but I never even considered it. 

In my experience there is less theft at Glastonbury than other festivals (Reading in particular) BUT it does happen. Easiest ways to mitigate have already been mentioned, don't let the fear of having your tent robbed play on your mind though, that's not what you're there for.

20 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

that sounds about right - in the early 80's two jokers were going round tents unzipping them and if someone was inside ' would then claim they were selling dope { or whatever they could think up } - I came storming out and they took off { A Glaswegian accent works wonders at times - they were shitting themselves  } - amazingly the two of them did not split up and even more astonishingly they ran past ' their secret stash ' - lots and lots of bags - and then they split up so I gave up the chase but I went back to secure  their secret stash - I called my girlfriend over and she ran up to the farmhouse { this is before there was Police onsite } and security came down and picked up the bags - later on there was a guy with a megaphone telling people where to go if they lost anything - now I cant say how many bags were returned but it was a fair number and some surprising items - a few sleeping bags !! - this was during the day but the stash was close to the big hedge { that used to run down Muddy lane } so most people would have missed it - they must have been robbing - stashing and then going back to rob some more . 

sure I did not catch them but at least they did not profit that day.

Its the only time that has happened to me but for most of my years I have camped in a secure area { there has been a few people caught climbing over the crew fence but we suspect they were doing it thinking they could gain entry to the festival - they cant } and theft is very rare.

some Chop Sniffer was wandering around last year unzipping people tents and shouting "Donna Donna" he got told to roundly fuck off before wondering off. 

next morning we hear there had been a spate of thefts from tents around us 

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:03 PM, Tommy101 said:

For those worried about people coming into their tent (whilst occupied) at night I heard a decent tip once about using a safety pin to connect the two door zips on most tents. You can only do it once your in there, it's almost invisible from the outside and take a lot longer to get in from the outside. The idea is to create enough noise for those in the tent to wake up or cause enough hassle for the intruder to move on to another tent.

There are limitations to the idea (i.e. everyone who is meant to be in the tent must be in the tent, it's a deterrent  and it by no means fail safe etc) but it might be useful for some. 

Good idea, until you wake up with no time to spare undoing said safety pin and you piss yourself

A few years ago, a work colleague of mine was at leeds festival and caught some little chav going through his tent 1 afternoon, so after they "told" him what he was doing is wrong they gaffer taped his hands to his ankles and wrote, "i'm a thief" on his forehead then politely kicked him out for there tent