"Maybe The Kinks could play Glastonbury

Huckleberry Finn

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Kinks reformation rumours come around as regularly as Oasis ones.  For all we know Kinky Kevin might just have been pulling the journo's leg.

But then there's Michael's quote as well which said about Ray being on the phone to him about playing. Add in that and the Islington Assembly Hall performance this year and it all does tie in rather nicely. Far more so that the baseless Oasis rumours 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Kinks reformation rumours come around as regularly as Oasis ones.  For all we know Kinky Kevin might just have been pulling the journo's leg.

Yeah, I'd work to the assumption that nothings happening unless it actually gets announced. These rumours have come around pretty much annually for about 15 years now.

But it's clear that some people are massively underestimating them. If it was a proper reunion ie at minimum both Davies brothers and Mick Avory all being involved, and was for a one off performance as the article seems to imply, then they would easily be a headliner and a strong one at that. The only way they should realistically play lower is if it's a half arsed cash in attempt (which unfortunately I can't rule out) or if they're playing everywhere so people can just as easily go see them at the local arena/concert hall.

If it was announced as a one off, I'd expect it to be a contender for largest crowd of the weekend. In much the same way that that people on here were doubting whether Stevie Wonder was big enough before he played and then the field was absolutely rammed - classic act with an incredible legacy, loads of tunes that everyone knows, and most people at the festival have probably never seen live before and may not get the chance again.

44 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

But then there's Michael's quote as well which said about Ray being on the phone to him about playing. Add in that and the Islington Assembly Hall performance this year and it all does tie in rather nicely. Far more so that the baseless Oasis rumours 

Plus the repeat headliners thing as others have pointed out. It does seem to add up. I could see it.

EDIT: actually why would he be on the phone to an act that he apparently booked two years ago. Never mind about the repeat headliners thing. :lol:

Edited by dentalplan

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've probably made the point before that they're probably just not match fit to take on an engagement the size of headlining Glastonbury. Out of the game too long.

They have the songs, but they wouldn't have the 'show'.

Well ray is certainly match fit, been touring plenty in the last few years, the kast off kinks( if any of them are involved)have been touring all year and Dave has a new album out soon, I reckon the only danger is when they all come together to rehearse is the old issues re emerge and it doesn't happen

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've probably made the point before that they're probably just not match fit to take on an engagement the size of headlining Glastonbury. Out of the game too long.

They have the songs, but they wouldn't have the 'show'.

not sure they really have the songs either.

stuck on a Best Of after this thread and bar the 4 songs I already knew (Waterloo Sunset, Sunny Afternoon, You Really Got Me, Lola), I didn't recognise any others. they were all extremely same-y too.

24 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

stuck on a Best Of after this thread and bar the 4 songs I already knew (Waterloo Sunset, Sunny Afternoon, You Really Got Me, Lola), I didn't recognise any others. they were all extremely same-y too.

Speechless!

33 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Can't quite believe I've just read that!

54 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Well ray is certainly match fit, been touring plenty in the last few years, the kast off kinks( if any of them are involved)have been touring all year and Dave has a new album out soon, I reckon the only danger is when they all come together to rehearse is the old issues re emerge and it doesn't happen

Having seen Ray a number of times, he's gonna need more up is sleeve than his signature move of getting the audience to sing The Banana Boat Song.