Boomtown Fair 2017

Jamieyorkshire

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Is it too much for walking boots muddy/wet?

I'm holding out hope it'll dry out a bit, especially based on what @frostypaw said about the ground.

I'm flying down from Glasgow so not needing wellies would literally be a weight off my shoulders. 

The photo from the site that's doing the rounds looks like it's from the backstage production areas which are always mucked up with vehicles. Hopefully. 

hey all,

I have been stalking this thread a fair bit as I'm heading to boomtown for the first time this year. If anyone has been before have you got any good tips about camping ect ? i'm looking to camp in china town but its hard to work out how far in or out  to camp as I'm not familiar with the festival or field.

The whole festival seems completely overwhelming actually so any other trips would be greatly appreciated! Also how friendly are people there, I'm going with one other person so it would be nice to know what  camping neighbours might be like

25 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Daughter #1 working there. She say's it is grim. 

(She's experienced extreme mud, so doesn't sound very good. Rain forecast for tomorrow as well)

Yikes. After a good Glastonbury this year, is it too much to hope for a dry boomtown?! 

Dusty, are you going? I missed you at Glast this year! 

15 hours ago, LMK said:

I'm holding out hope it'll dry out a bit, especially based on what @frostypaw said about the ground.

I'm flying down from Glasgow so not needing wellies would literally be a weight off my shoulders. 

The photo from the site that's doing the rounds looks like it's from the backstage production areas which are always mucked up with vehicles. Hopefully. 

I've owned wellies for 5 years and always take walking boots instead as I hate them

This will be the first time I take them! Although I think it will be fine by sunday, today and tomorrow will be horrendously muddy and boomtown doesn't have the infrastructure like Glastonbury to wing it, you cant walk the street venues when they mud up without wellies

Not much rain forecast after today though so with wellies it will still be great :)

15 hours ago, LMK said:

it's chalk, but if it's sodden it's sodden.

I went to a Homelands at the bowl 15-ish years ago when the weather got dreadful ... and the ground turned to shit, very bad.

Worst of all was the (literal) river that flowed around the bowl in the lowest parts (the ground rises in the middle), with huge amounts of rain channeled to it by the shape of the bowl.

So whatever you do, do NOT camp in that dip round the edges if you camp in the bowl.

Hey y'all - also a Boomtown newbie (Glasto vet). We're in the campervan, and I was wondering if searches (for booze allowance, sniffer dogs etc) happen on the camper (ie they'd search your van as it entered the site) or when you physically walk from the campervan site to the festival/pick up your wristband (like at Glasto)? As in, if we had additional booze in the van that we just drank in the van of an evening would that be ok? And would they send sniffer dogs into our van?! (They'd have a field day as it's my FiL's and he's a sheep farmer - so much delicious smell! :-D)

Been raining in North Wilts for several hours. Going down to the site this afternoon. Rain forcast for rest of day until around 8pm. Plus side - pretty reasonable weather predicted for the rest of the festival with only one other damp day. Reckon plan for a mudfest though - defaulting to wellies and wet weather gear...

19 minutes ago, pouxin said:

(ie they'd search your van as it entered the site)

Yup, they might.

I arrived Friday morning about 5 years ago, and the CV entrance was one big search area - including plenty of old bill, and police dogs.

Very luckily we got told we looked like nice people and got waved past the dog search ... but while we were held there we saw the dogs go thru several other vans (so they weren't only for show, tho how good their sniffing is I've no idea).

I believe it's the case that the big search teams come and go, so it's pretty much the luck of the draw for whether they're there when you arrive.

On 7/4/2017 at 8:25 PM, frostypaw said:

Unknown.jpeg

This may appear to be a stupid question but I'm not letting that get in the way just in case but:

Is The Bowl the bit with DSTRKT 6 in? It looks the right shape. I know this will be clear tomorrow but we are trying to plan as a group which direction to head in and we will all be coming in from different directions. 

37 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Is The Bowl the bit with DSTRKT 6 in? 

nope.

Dstrkt 5, Barrio Loco, Chinatown.

Those bits are on the higher ground in the middle of the bowl, but there's camping in the dip around the edge of the bowl - *avoid!

(* to be fair, with the rain that's forecast it will probably be fine ... but why take the risk?)

Edited by eFestivals

Bottled taking in anything given the police rhetoric and what's been said in here just on the off chance. What's the situation like once you're in, anywhere in particular to head for vendors ala Stone Circle at Glastonbury or is it a case of sit in one place long enough and someone is bound to approach you?