Boomtown Fair 2017

Jamieyorkshire

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, ConorC said:

I know the lineup always contains a ridiculous amount of acts, but Boomtown doesn't pay out on stadium-sized bands so what do they spend the £200 ticket money on?

Is it the production work? Forgive my ignorance.

the ridiculous number of acts will eat into the pot in a big way I'd guess, even tho plenty of them are from the cheaper end of things, but the production will also be hugely expensive - it takes many weeks to build the site and take it down again.

Having said that, I suspect there's some money being made - tho having created something very different to other fests, I'd rather Boomtown were making a few quid than the many less inspired events that exist.

Many festivals, tho, only just about scrape by. Running a festival is not the licence to print money that many assume it is.

the genius of boomtown over the years is that ticket money has been invested (on the ever growing set) rather than consumed on acts that are gone within 90 minutes for astronomical fees so you'd think 50000 odd people at 200 quid a ticket will put them in a pretty happy place now, when the headline acts almost always play festivals a quarter of the size.

you have to hand it to them, they've done rather well.

11 minutes ago, tjamest said:

£200 gives you probably your best weekend of the year and yes the money goes on creating a temporary alternative world. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the ridiculous number of acts will eat into the pot in a big way I'd guess, even tho plenty of them are from the cheaper end of things, but the production will also be hugely expensive - it takes many weeks to build the site and take it down again.

Having said that, I suspect there's some money being made - tho having created something very different to other fests, I'd rather Boomtown were making a few quid than the many less inspired events that exist.

Many festivals, tho, only just about scrape by. Running a festival is not the licence to print money that many assume it is.

Thought as much.

Not got an issue with it and I can see from photos/vids how much goes into it, just wondered if there was something I was missing.

Paid off my first instalment and very much looking forward to the madness.