Boomtown Fair 2017

Jamieyorkshire

I am thinking they may move the Town Centre to Downtown, to allow for an actual bigger 'stage' to accommodate bigger acts that are not DJ's, as as good a stage that BP was, it was only really suitable for DJ's or small acts. 

The TC stage as good as it was, really felt too crowded for acts last year such as FLC and Leftfield.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Along with Banghai Palace... so what's peoples thoughts on that? 

Site shuffle again with S6 moving down there or something new altogether?

That's exciting - have I missed some news? Is there a link?

I would imagine the Boominati will have erected their own temple. Considering the efforts they are putting into their stagecraft business I reckon the sky's the limit on how mad this could be.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We are considering doing Boomtown as a hen weekend for our friend who loves a good festival... her favourites are Glastonbury and Latitude but logistically we couldn't do either of those.

Do you guys think Boomtown would be a good substitute? What's it like?

9 hours ago, JoBalls said:

Hello,

We are considering doing Boomtown as a hen weekend for our friend who loves a good festival... her favourites are Glastonbury and Latitude but logistically we couldn't do either of those.

Do you guys think Boomtown would be a good substitute? What's it like?

it's a full-on party.

In many ways it's like Glasto's late-night zone with lots of micro-venues and full-on ravey stuff, but also has a lot of non-mainsteam live music.

As far as I'm concerned it's the best festival out there today, tho it wouldn't suit the type of people who want 'famous'/'hit' bands.

Take a look at last year's line-up to get a feel for it.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

it's a full-on party.

In many ways it's like Glasto's late-night zone with lots of micro-venues and full-on ravey stuff, but also has a lot of non-mainsteam live music.

As far as I'm concerned it's the best festival out there today, tho it wouldn't suit the type of people who want 'famous'/'hit' bands.

Take a look at last year's line-up to get a feel for it.

Thanks Neil, that's really helpful. She does love the late night zone at Glasto so sounds like it would be ideal. Last year's lineup has a few names on I know she likes too!

I'm totally up for doing it, only issue is we have a fair few first time festival go-ers in the group, so will need to weigh up whether we think this would be too much for them... 

17 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Thanks Neil, that's really helpful. She does love the late night zone at Glasto so sounds like it would be ideal. Last year's lineup has a few names on I know she likes too!

I'm totally up for doing it, only issue is we have a fair few first time festival go-ers in the group, so will need to weigh up whether we think this would be too much for them... 

as long as they're not crumbling old gits (like me) and are able to manage a hill or two now and then they'll have a ball, much like they would if you took them to their first Glasto.

Got chatting with a 40-ish year old couple in (I think) 2015, and it was her first festival. She said she didn't know much that was on but enjoyed a lot of what she saw and thought the whole place was fantastic - if that helps.

I just wish I was 20 again. They'd be no stopping me. :D

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

as long as they're not crumbling old gits (like me) and are able to manage a hill or two now and then they'll have a ball, much like they would if you took them to their first Glasto.

Got chatting with a 40-ish year old couple in (I think) 2015, and it was her first festival. She said she didn't know much that was on but enjoyed a lot of what she saw and thought the whole place was fantastic - if that helps.

I just wish I was 20 again. They'd be no stopping me. :D

Haha well we do have a couple of 60 year olds on the list but one is a Glasto veteran and the other spends 3 hours a day at the gym so I'm not worried about either of them...! It's the younger ladies who complain if you take them to a slightly grotty pub that worry me!!

That does help a lot thank you... and I'm pretty sure there's not much stopping you now is there? :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

This just convinced me to buy tickets. Will be my first Boomtown

Best UK festival by miles. As long as you don't go for purely for mainstream headliners/acts. Nothing comes close to the night time entertainment on offer. And a great site despite the hills! 

8 minutes ago, craigb said:

Best UK festival by miles. As long as you don't go for purely for mainstream headliners/acts. Nothing comes close to the night time entertainment on offer. And a great site despite the hills! 

That's a big statement, but everyone who goes tells me the same. Hills don't bother me tbh, I'll probably float up them like usual...

3 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

That's a big statement

It's a deserved statement.

I've been a massive fan of Glastonbury for over 30 years. I'm still a massive fan of Glastonbury.

But that hasn't stopped me recognising that Boomtown has what Glasto has lost, it's edge, the surprise around every corner, and a crowd that *IS* the festival rather than mere spectators of what other people are doing.

The bummer for me about Boomtown is that I'm not 30 years younger. Those hills are bastards, and the pill-popping-all-night-party days are mostly over for this aging git.

I've been a massive fan of Glastonbury for over 30 years. I'm still a massive fan of Glastonbury.

But that hasn't stopped me recognising that Boomtown has what Glasto has lost, it's edge, the surprise around every corner, and a crowd that *IS* the festival rather than mere spectators of what other people are doing.

The bummer for me about Boomtown is that I'm not 30 years younger. Those hills are bastards, and the pill-popping-all-night-party days are mostly over for this aging git.

I'm sure there's life in the old dog yet...

Well said, can't agree enough with this.

Oh and am not that young at 45 now, not giving up yet ;)

1 hour ago, Paul ™ said:

Oh and am not that young at 45 now, not giving up yet ;)

give it another 5 years and I reckon you might feel it. :P

There's been a much bigger difference for me between 45 and 50 than there was between 40 and 45. It comes to us all.

(plus, my missus can be a too-cosy-in-bed wimp... never me, of course :P)

10 minutes ago, Noeliam said:

I've never been to Glasto but get the "feeling" that it's the best festival in the world (this forum helps).

I've got the same excitement for Boomtown without even knowing much!! I wish it didn't clash with Sziget or I would have already been there! Enjoy :)

Glasto is probably the best music festival. But not the best festival. 

If that makes sense at all. A number of festivals have taken that crown now. I think Glasto now relies a lot on a mega line up, both with massive acts and music in depth. 

Just now, craigb said:

Glasto is probably the best music festival. But not the best festival.  

Yep, I'd agree with that.

There's music at Glasto to satisfy just about everyone, but I know plenty would struggle with what Boomtown serves up. It's either your bag or it's not.

Tho having said that what it offers has expanded a fair bit in the last few years, so it'll be interesting to see what they have this year. I'm struggling to think how they can keep the reggae tip going as strongly as they have been, cos they've used up (all of?) the big acts.

20 minutes ago, shaqroger said:

Is the crowd young at Boom? I'm 18 and about to book with my friends and honestly can't wait as it looks amazing.

Also is there any other forum or place where you can get more information/chats about Boom?

It's a good mixed of crowd. Prob more youths thou. The different areas at the festival tend to attract certain age groups, and can have differing atmospheres. 

If your on Fb the boomtown page has events/groups for each area where people chat about the event. You'll see more action after the line up announcement and as they begin to release the area details. 

Edited by craigb