Best Kept Secret 2017

alan_ts

Not sure I'm happy with using my debit card for every transaction. How is it going to speed things up when you have to type in your PIN code every time (in front of everyone else)? I don't believe in and haven't signed up for 'contactless' payments. I'm not convinced they're secure.

Moreover, i don't like the thought of Big Data following me around the festival knowing everywhere I go and everything I drink. Can I look forward to getting targeted adverts for Grolsch in my email Inbox when I get home? That's how the world works these days.

Think I may be bringing cash and buying some nice anonymous pre-paid cards.

Call me a luddite if you like, but I try to use cash in real life for the same reasons.

Edited by Trufflehound

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Casbah will have a really interesting DJ lineup - actually (for my personal taste) much more interesting than the Stage 4 lineup. There will be a lot of guest sets by bands playing BKS (The Parrots, The Homesick, Iguana Death Cult, Zeal & Ardor and also of other acts like Aftrepartees and Pink Noise. This could also be a hint that Pink Noise or Afterpartees might take over the Girl Band (or Toxe) slot.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-01 um 11.05.42.png

16 hours ago, Trufflehound said:

Not sure I'm happy with using my debit card for every transaction. How is it going to speed things up when you have to type in your PIN code every time (in front of everyone else)? I don't believe in and haven't signed up for 'contactless' payments. I'm not convinced they're secure.

Moreover, i don't like the thought of Big Data following me around the festival knowing everywhere I go and everything I drink. Can I look forward to getting targeted adverts for Grolsch in my email Inbox when I get home? That's how the world works these days.

Think I may be bringing cash and buying some nice anonymous pre-paid cards.

Call me a luddite if you like, but I try to use cash in real life for the same reasons.

Monzo seems decent, that's my plan for the summer. Free and contactless https://goo.gl/Q5tD51

I've just looked at that as a back up plan (as currently I've only really got my credit card which doesn't have fees but will be a problem if I lose it / stolen) but it says I'm 20,000 odd in the waiting list so can't imagine it will be ready in a week

Hi all, 

I've been quiet for a while because I was worried about my hernia and other problems on my back but now I'm full of pills and I'm doing lot of exercises so I think it'll be ok. I'm very excited. I've changed programs, I'm not travelling by car but by plane. What's the best way to go to Charleroi after the festival? I think train Tilburg-Brussels and then bus/train to Charleroi, right? Any other option would be very appreciated. :) 

24 minutes ago, alan_ts said:

Hi all, 

I've been quiet for a while because I was worried about my hernia and other problems on my back but now I'm full of pills and I'm doing lot of exercises so I think it'll be ok. I'm very excited. I've changed programs, I'm not travelling by car but by plane. What's the best way to go to Charleroi after the festival? I think train Tilburg-Brussels and then bus/train to Charleroi, right? Any other option would be very appreciated. :) 

That's pretty much the only way I think.

Weathers looking good. 23, 24 & 27 degrees over the 3 days with no sign of rain (yet)

Anyone know if there are lockers on site?

5 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Weathers looking good. 23, 24 & 27 degrees over the 3 days with no sign of rain (yet)

Great!

Anyway I'll give wellies and kway to my friends that coming by car.

1 hour ago, alan_ts said:

Hi all, 

Get the Intercity from Tilburg to Roosendaal, then change to the international train to Brussels Zuid/Midi.

You can do it 15 minutes quicker by getting the train from Tilburg to Rotterdam Centraal and changing to the high-speed Thalys, but then you have to pre-book a seat on a specific Thalys train and pay a supplement. Going the other way you can just show up and take any train.

From Brussels Zuid/Midi there's a bus from the station direct to the airport (https://www.brussels-city-shuttle.com/en/timetable#/bru-crl2). It's faster, and one change fewer, but slightly more expensive than getting the train to Charleroi and the shuttle bus from Charleroi station to the airport.

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Anyone know if there are lockers on site?

Yes, there are lockers near the entrance to the festival zone.

I've been watching the weather on here: http://www.weeronline.nl/Europa/Nederland/Hilvarenbeek/4058622 - the most accurate Dutch forecast I know.

They update the model every 6 hours or so and in the past 2 days it's gone from wet to dry to wet to dry, and from warm to hot and back to warm. In other words, they have no idea. We'll only have more of a clue around Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

But having got wet in 2013, 2015 and 2016 (I missed 2014), we're overdue a hot a dry one. It's mid-summer FFS.

Incidentally, I'm 20km as the crow flies from the site and it's pissing down right now. Supposed to get better from tomorrow though.

Edited by Trufflehound

Just a question regarding dutch trains - should I book the Amsterdam-Tilburg train in advance online, or just buy the tickets at the station? (and are online bought tickets valid for just one specific train at one specific time, or are they valid for 24 hours (for examlpe))

Regarding trains Just buy your ticket from the machine in the station it's cheaper from the ticket machine than from the counter. Prices are the same whenever you travel. On coffeeshops stock up in Amsterdam. As you won't be allowed into any places in Tilburg unless you are a Dutch resident. !! 

13 hours ago, 10rapid said:

Any advice on the coffee shop situation? I heard Tilburg needs a resident permit Due to Belgian smuggling but they relaxed it during a couple of festivals last year. Better to stock up en route from Schipol? 

Found a couple of articles that back up what you have said about Tilburg relaxing the rules during festivals (although BKS isn't mentioned) so could well be the case again this year.

Unless a local can confirm to you that Tilburg is definitely 'open' next weekend then as spudling said it might be best to stop off in Amsterdam. It's not far out of your way and if your time schedule isn't too tight then you can enjoy a few hours relaxing in Dam as a warm up! Would recommend Voyagers as it's pretty close to Central station, excellent selection on the menu and always top quality.

Edited by Semprini

On 11/06/2017 at 4:25 AM, clasher said:

Just a question regarding dutch trains - should I book the Amsterdam-Tilburg train in advance online, or just buy the tickets at the station? (and are online bought tickets valid for just one specific train at one specific time, or are they valid for 24 hours (for examlpe))

What spudling said above is already correct, but just to add to it a bit:

You can't buy online tickets for Dutch trains unless you have (or know someone with) a Dutch bank account, as that's the only payment method.

You can travel on any train at any time as there are no seat reservations possible on Dutch trains, only on the international high-speed Thalys and ICE services (which cost more in any case).

But the tickets do have a date on them. Tickets for for any specific date are valid until 04.00 the next morning.

Oh, and you are supposed to check in and check out at the beginning and end of your journey. This used to mean holiding your ticket against one of the yellow poles on the platform or in the station hall (just watch what other people do), and still does at some stations. But all Dutch stations are slowly moving to secure gated platforms and you'll need to scan the ticket to open the gate. I think Tilburg station has already switched to this system.

Edited by Trufflehound