Best Kept Secret 2017

alan_ts

Strong rumours around Radiohead.

I'm thinking of going this year because the dates fit perfect for my friends and me. (We are in doubt between bks, primavera and rw if it'll be the last weekend of june)

I've a few questions:

- i've seen that bks is a mid size festival and i always went to big size festivals: do you feel the difference? I mean, is it really small?

- camping situation: i read that the camping is a real camping (inside a safari -?-), how is the atmosphere? Is it like the other dutch/belgian festivals (I've been to Pukkelpop, Rw, Pinkpop)?

- other tips/reccomendations are welcome :):) 

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, alan_ts said:

Strong rumours around Radiohead.

I'm thinking of going this year because the dates fit perfect for my friends and me. (We are in doubt between bks, primavera and rw if it'll be the last weekend of june)

I've a few questions:

- i've seen that bks is a mid size festival and i always went to big size festivals: do you feel the difference? I mean, is it really small?

- camping situation: i read that the camping is a real camping (inside a safari -?-), how is the atmosphere? Is it like the other dutch/belgian festivals (I've been to Pukkelpop, Rw, Pinkpop)?

- other tips/reccomendations are welcome :):) 

Hi, I have been to all BKS editions so far. It's my favorite festival and definitely different to most other (bigger) festivals. It's quite adult. I'd say the average age is mid to late twenty with an audience from 18 to 60. The people there are very open minded and friendly (I never witnessed any kind of aggresion on site).

The capacity is 25.000 (MUCH less than Pukkelpop or even Pinkpop) and the festival usually doesn't feel too crowded. The big exception was last year with one former semi-outdoor stage transformed into a (pretty much all the time overcrowded) dark tent, but the festival promoter already aknowledged some difficulties with this stage. The mainstage area is right on the beach of the lake and fits the whole capacity of visitors. Last year the saturday seemed much more packed than usual. The reason probably were the Editors who headlined that day and are VERY popular in Benelux (IF Radiohead will be confirmed their day will be packed as well).

The musical concept is more of a boutique festival than a mainstream festival (not that many already famous bands, more new and upcoming, but always great acts). Beside the music there is also a big focus on food. The whole food area is like a streetfood festival with (I think) around 40 different food stalls, with food from veggie and vegan food, up to steak and oysters. Also the toilets are in a very good condition (if there isn't a big problem with weather as last year).

Camping is supposed to be very nice, but I personally always stood in a bungalow (which you can rent, but always sells out after minutes).

8 hours ago, mellowmaniac said:

Hi, I have been to all BKS editions so far. It's my favorite festival and definitely different to most other (bigger) festivals. It's quite adult. I'd say the average age is mid to late twenty with an audience from 18 to 60. The people there are very open minded and friendly (I never witnessed any kind of aggresion on site).

The capacity is 25.000 (MUCH less than Pukkelpop or even Pinkpop) and the festival usually doesn't feel too crowded. The big exception was last year with one former semi-outdoor stage transformed into a (pretty much all the time overcrowded) dark tent, but the festival promoter already aknowledged some difficulties with this stage. The mainstage area is right on the beach of the lake and fits the whole capacity of visitors. Last year the saturday seemed much more packed than usual. The reason probably were the Editors who headlined that day and are VERY popular in Benelux (IF Radiohead will be confirmed their day will be packed as well).

The musical concept is more of a boutique festival than a mainstream festival (not that many already famous bands, more new and upcoming, but always great acts). Beside the music there is also a big focus on food. The whole food area is like a streetfood festival with (I think) around 40 different food stalls, with food from veggie and vegan food, up to steak and oysters. Also the toilets are in a very good condition (if there isn't a big problem with weather as last year).

Camping is supposed to be very nice, but I personally always stood in a bungalow (which you can rent, but always sells out after minutes).

Super :):) 

thanks a lot, I'll talk with my friends but I'm really oriented to bks!!!

11 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Radiohead confirmed for the last day. Great booking.

Super!!!

tickets on sale on November 19...I think I'll buy it immediately, I'd like to know something more about camping and then I'm ready!!!!

On 26-10-2016 at 4:41 PM, alan_ts said:

the camping is really chilled. almost too chilled for my taste. I haven't been to pukkelpop, rw or pinkpop, but lowlands (which I think is comparable to pukkelpop) has a camping with party 24/7. people won't get mad at you for staying up and listening to music or talking, but they also won't really join you. last year was a bit of a let down for me, compared to the previous editions. very packed, the line-up wasn't that great and a different crowd (suddenly lot's of talking during gigs). if the line-up is great and you're really into music and a more chilled vibe it's an amazing festival though. doubt we will be able to wait with buying tickets until the entire bill is released however, since with radiohead headlining tickets will most likely be sold out pretty fast. 

9 hours ago, nelnontwisa said:

the camping is really chilled. almost too chilled for my taste. I haven't been to pukkelpop, rw or pinkpop, but lowlands (which I think is comparable to pukkelpop) has a camping with party 24/7. people won't get mad at you for staying up and listening to music or talking, but they also won't really join you. last year was a bit of a let down for me, compared to the previous editions. very packed, the line-up wasn't that great and a different crowd (suddenly lot's of talking during gigs). if the line-up is great and you're really into music and a more chilled vibe it's an amazing festival though. doubt we will be able to wait with buying tickets until the entire bill is released however, since with radiohead headlining tickets will most likely be sold out pretty fast. 

Thanx a lot :)

21 hours ago, nelnontwisa said:

the line-up wasn't that great and a different crowd (suddenly lot's of talking during gigs).

Each to their own. The headliners were very indifferent this year, but I thought the undercard was great.

And the talking during gigs isn't a sudden thing. I had to move several times during Sigur Ros at BKS 2013 because of loudly chatting groups. Damn nearly ruined one of my favourite bands.

It's a sad fact of listening to live music in the Netherlands. I don't like to stereotype, but in my observation of 27 years of going to concerts in this country, a disturbingly large number of Dutch gig-goers are more interested in the sound of their own voices than listening to the music. Very disresptectful in my opinion. I long ago lost count of the number of times I've had to ask people to pipe down because I couldn't hear the band (not just at festivals - also at the Effenaar in Eindhoven, 013 in Tilburg, Paradiso in Amsterdam and others). I've been going to Pukkelpop since 1990 and I never once had to resort to intervening.

Having said that, it's a minor issue compared to the overall BKS experience, which is wonderful and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone. A lovely festival with a lovely vibe, and I'll definitely be back for the 4th time next year.

Edited by Trufflehound

Northside Festival which also announced Radiohead sold out combitickets and the rh day in 15 minutes...let's see what will happen for BKS.

I also see that these two festivals often share some acts and today Northside announced Run The Jewels, Mø and some small band.

Finger crossed for Run The Jewels, I'd love to hear them.

4 hours ago, alan_ts said:

Northside Festival which also announced Radiohead sold out combitickets and the rh day in 15 minutes...let's see what will happen for BKS.

I also see that these two festivals often share some acts and today Northside announced Run The Jewels, Mø and some small band.

Finger crossed for Run The Jewels, I'd love to hear them.

Just looked on the Northside website and combi tickets are still on sale. It's only the Sunday day tickets that are sold out.

43 minutes ago, Trufflehound said:

Just looked on the Northside website and combi tickets are still on sale. It's only the Sunday day tickets that are sold out.

Ok sorry, I tried to translate from danish and then from a dutch forum but as you can see I'm already very bad in english so you can imagine what I understand from other languages :):):) 

4 hours ago, Marc Whiffen said:

Thinking of just getting a Sunday tIcket for Radiohead.

The plan is... Get to Amsterdam Saturday morning, spend the day and night there, then get the train to BKS. what station would be best to head too, with accommodation and a shuttle bus to the festival?

Cheers.

Tilburg.

4 hours ago, Marc Whiffen said:

Thinking of just getting a Sunday tIcket for Radiohead.

The plan is... Get to Amsterdam Saturday morning, spend the day and night there, then get the train to BKS. what station would be best to head too, with accommodation and a shuttle bus to the festival?

Cheers.

The shuttle buses to the festival leave from outside Tilburg station. Train info here: http://www.ns.nl/en

19 hours ago, glastobuds said:

Hi if driving and camping and coming from the uk - what's the way to get to BKS. Or if coming by train or coach how easy that ?

Depends on where in the Uk you're driving from and how rich you're feeling.

The cheapest ferry route for a car is usually Dover-Dunkirk. The most comfortable with the shortest drive at the other end is the overnight Harwich-Hoek van Holland run, but that's way pricier.

50 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

Blimey Charlie! Seriously thinking of doing BKS followed by Glastonbury now!

Going to do that I think.

Loved BKS last year and these headliners are right up my street.

Hopefully the rest of the undercard doesn't suffer as that was a highlight for me last year, though it is a fair bit more expensive next year so perhaps it won't.

I'm seriously considering this as I have weddings the weekends before and after (so Glastonbury and my backup fest IOW are both out!). This is sort of an ideal lineup for me but I will need to do some convincing of someone to go with me!

Some questions:

- how much are the bungalows  /cabins (or how much were they last year)

- what sort of times does it keep? is it like Benicassim where bands go into the night or more normal timings?

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm seriously considering this as I have weddings the weekends before and after (so Glastonbury and my backup fest IOW are both out!). This is sort of an ideal lineup for me but I will need to do some convincing of someone to go with me!

Some questions:

- what sort of times does it keep? is it like Benicassim where bands go into the night or more normal timings?

http:///s/bestkeptsecret2016/

this is 2016 clashfinder...I appreciate a lot the dj sets after midnight...it's the right way to end the day.

Edited by alan_ts

30 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Some questions:

Hi,

last year the 6p bungalow did cost around 800 Euro for six persons. This included bedlinnen and endcleaning. You were able to buy tickets while booking the bungalow and the price of the tickets was 130 Euro each (no additional charges). I guess this year the ticket price with the bungalows will be 147,50 Euro, but no info about next year's bungalow prices before next monday.

The bungalows (as well as all other accomodation options) were always sold out after a couple of minutes, even when the festival didn't sell out at all (year two and three) - very high demand. Be quick and lucky!