Flaming lips

russycarps

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Depending on their tourdates - and those of the other artists likely on in there - he's probably not gonna get that much of a say.

They do often go over this stuff with the bands though - I've read many things about acts playing one slot out of want to not clash with another band. It could be the difference between the Lips playing teatime on the Other Stage and headlining John Peel or something rather than just what day. I'll be astounded if they clash - ball quiches, charity donations galore.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

You ever read this from wayne coyne? Complimentary and a bit rude all at the same time. Not the words of an enormous fan....

That's just Wayne tho innit. Before the Stone Roses cover album he said that all their songs sound the same. I was just going off of him being spotted at dozens of Radiohead gigs and bringing up the 2003 Glasto set as often as Eavis brings up the 1997 one.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

So the new album is out on friday. The reviews I've read have been pretty mediocre. Miley Cyrus is on one of the songs...

I cant fucking wait!!

who's going to brixton on the 21st?

Seems like the reviews are pretty polarised from what I've seen, some are calling it a masterpiece, some despise it. Current metacritic scores range from 40 to 90. So I'm excited. And yeah I'm going Brixton, looking forward to it a lot.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

So the new album is out on friday. The reviews I've read have been pretty mediocre. Miley Cyrus is on one of the songs...

I cant fucking wait!!

Manchester on the 22nd for us.  Was tempted by Brixton and a weekend away but January is always FAR too long cash wise

I'll be at the Brixton show - me and my gfs dad will be at the beehive wetherspoon which is on the way to the academy from the station from around half 6 I'd say - ill pop on during day and let you know what I'm wearing and if anyonefancies saying hi go for it!

I'll let the reviews say mediocre but I am inclined to disagree, really enjoyed the 4 songs on Apple Music so far (even the Miley Cyrus one) so much that I've preordered the 12'' vinyl for Friday - remained a free A2 poster from the local indie store :)

Edited by mungo57
Autocorrect fucked me again

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

I cant fucking wait!!

Yup, Brixton will be my second time seeing them after Victorious in 2015. Was absolutely spellbound by them then, and I'm hoping for much of the same. Setlists from the tail end of last year look quite promising too, pretty Soft Bulletin heavy.

5 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Yup, Brixton will be my second time seeing them after Victorious in 2015. Was absolutely spellbound by them then, and I'm hoping for much of the same. Setlists from the tail end of last year look quite promising too, pretty Soft Bulletin heavy.

Who knows what we're going to get with these shows really, first of the Oczy Mlody tour so it could be anything. They showed up on The Tonight Show all dressed in grey last night which suggests to me maybe we're in for something more sombre, but yeah it's pretty unpredictable.

2 hours ago, mungo57 said:

I'll be at the Brixton show - me and my gfs dad will be at the beehive wetherspoon which is on the way to the academy from the station from around half 6 I'd say - ill pop on during day and let you know what I'm wearing and if anyonefancies saying hi go for it!

The 

I'll let the reviews say mediocre but I am inclined to disagree, really enjoyed the 4 songs on Apple Music so far (even the Miley Cyrus one) so much that I've preordered the 12'' vinyl for Friday - remained a free A2 poster from the local indie store :)

What are you wearing now?

• Upvote 1

I am hoping the Flames show up at Glastonbury. I have seen them a few times; I have already seen them in the pouring rain and cold so if Glasto wants to have good weather for them I am so on board with that. . The show is awesome and great fun but it sort of underplays how really brilliant this band can be. Since this photo is circulating with the new album, it will be interesting to see what Wayne and the boys are up to. 

flaming-lips-2017_zps04fofaes.jpg

Edited by JacquelineS

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

I really hope they open with the abandoned hospital ship again. Seems unlikely though sadly.

I'm sure they played that first at Victorious in '15, great opener. Seems they have been opening with YBTPR pt 1 throughout December - I'd prefer hospital ship though!

2 hours ago, mungo57 said:

I'm sure they played that first at Victorious in '15, great opener. Seems they have been opening with YBTPR pt 1 throughout December - I'd prefer hospital ship though!

Yup that was definitely first up at Victorious. Will be interesting to see if the December setlists continue or if they're going to change it up completely with a new show, lighting rig etc.

Just thinking about them closing the festival in the JPT makes me think I'll be gutted if it doesn't come to fruition! It just seems like a perfect fit.