Flaming lips

russycarps

39 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

At War with the Mystics is great. I love that. 

I listened to it when it first came out, decided it wasn't as good as Yoshimi, and never really gave it another shot. Will listen to it again this week. Good shout, fuzzy

12 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I listened to it when it first came out, decided it wasn't as good as Yoshimi, and never really gave it another shot. Will listen to it again this week. Good shout, fuzzy

Report back your findings, aside from a handful of songs I think it's pretty poor. It overtakes me makes me want to commit murder

The w.a.n.d. is absolutely magnificent though - a riff you could almost pluck out of the air and hold. Lovely. It's a decent Lips album but it's not from the very top shelf. 

The one that infuriates me on that album is free radicals though - the George w bush song. It's absolutely bloody dreadful! 

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

The w.a.n.d. is absolutely magnificent though - a riff you could almost pluck out of the air and hold. Lovely. It's a decent Lips album but it's not from the very top shelf. 

The one that infuriates me on that album is free radicals though - the George w bush song. It's absolutely bloody dreadful! 

Yep wand is brill. My fav on that album is Pompeii though. Ace stuff

35 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Enjoyed soft bulletin. am combining my flaming lips discovery with my sufjan one so they may take some time.

You should listen to one of their early ones next, just to see the contrast with Soft Bulletin (which is the album which caused lots of their original fans to give up on the band, because they had 'sold out'..).

Get Oh My Gawd!!! next. Do it!

http://www.stereogum.com/1236652/the-flaming-lips-albums-from-worst-to-best/franchises/counting-down/attachment/ohmygawd/

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

As previously stated, I enjoyed the soft bulletin. Gave embryonic a listen today. On first listen, it seemed too long but I enjoyed a lot of it. Powerless stood out. Think it could grow on me given time and proper repeat listens. 

Have moved onto Yoshimi now as I reckon the right hand side of the flow chart will need me to give more time to it that I haven't got over next few days but I've already decided there's enough here for me that if I see an album I'll buy it and will end up owning the vast majority if not all, being the manic obsessive that I am. 

Already enjoying the overall sound of this after only 3 tracks.

sigh I cant believe you went left.

at least go in the clouds taste metallic direction after this one, for gods sake...

Tickets are on sale for next years tour this morning. 1 date in London, 1 in Manchester - Jan17.

http://flaminglips.com/tour

A bit of Europe then back to America finishing April time. Then a date at Viva fest in Spain on June 30th which keeps them in the frame.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

2 hours ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Tickets are on sale for next years tour this morning. 1 date in London, 1 in Manchester - Jan17.

http://flaminglips.com/tour

A bit of Europe then back to America finishing April time. Then a date at Viva fest in Spain on June 30th which keeps them in the frame.

£41! Might be a bit steep for me...

Can somebody please tell me what the new record is like?

5 minutes ago, big__phil said:

£41! Might be a bit steep for me...

Can somebody please tell me what the new record is like?

Yeah the prices for the lips are always really high. I guess it costs a lot to put on their show

They have only released one new song, the album is out in January. I think it's really good, a step back in the direction of soft bulletin/yoshimi. Uplifting and psychedelic. I think it will be great live:

Just now, russycarps said:

Yeah the prices for the lips are always really high. I guess it costs a lot to put on their show

They have only released one new song, the album is out in January. I think it's really good, a step back in the direction of soft bulletin/yoshimi. Uplifting and psychedelic. I think it will be great live:

That does sound good, and I bloody Yoshimi. Still, I can't justify paying all that money (plus travel etc) without having heard the record. Fingers crossed for more dates a bit later in the year.

Just now, big__phil said:

That does sound good, and I bloody Yoshimi. Still, I can't justify paying all that money (plus travel etc) without having heard the record. Fingers crossed for more dates a bit later in the year.

Yeah it's a shame it's priced so high. The brixton date has been on sale for months and it's still not sold out.

31 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I dont think so, the london gig went on sale in august and isnt sold out, and it's on a saturday night. I wonder if they will sell out at all (not sure if the manchester venue is the same size as brixton though.

Manchester went on sale at the same time as Brixton and isn't sold out either. I should really buy a ticket but it's pricey and they'll probably be doing a festival where it's better value than that, hopefully Glasto.

Edited by dentalplan

5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I fucking hate it when you're right!

you've listened to mystics and clouds?

clouds is much better (imo), but forget about ever seeing any of those songs live, aside from abandoned hospital ship if you're very very lucky. I cant put into words how good that is live...

8 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Just clouds. On first listen, much better than yoshimi. TBH I really liked the sound of yoshimi at first but struggled to see it to the end. The second half seemed to drag. Will go back to it and give it another go - didn't hate it at all, but thought soft bulletin was better (on first listen). 

Clouds my favourite so far

Yeah I cant argue with that assessment. I feel the same about yoshimi, though I do really love some of the songs. Even live some of the songs drag.

I dont think you'll like mystics.

On 10/26/2016 at 8:17 PM, dentalplan said:

Thanks.

...but I didn't make it, like. I just googled it. :D

It meant I didn't have to.  Which makes it the same thing.  Never been sure where to start with FL for any kind of coherent view, so this is a godsend.

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Probably do satellite heart next then

I dont think you'll like mystics but you have to hear it. The lows are very low, but the highs are very high. Plus IF they play glastonbury and IF you went to see them, they will play a handful of songs off it. Transmissions they will play 1.