Flaming lips

russycarps

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Maybe I am just a bit biased - but as soon as Race for the Prize kicks in, I can't help have a massive smile.

Yeah dont get me wrong it looked incredible. But the sound was shit and of course wayne's voice never comes over well when you watch it back. Plus I didnt have the happy memories attached. And I watched it on suicide tuesday... 

I am not in anyway suggesting it was anything other than stupendous!

14 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah dont get me wrong it looked incredible. But the sound was shit and of course wayne's voice never comes over well when you watch it back. Plus I didnt have the happy memories attached. And I watched it on suicide tuesday... 

I am not in anyway suggesting it was anything other than stupendous!

ah... I tried to watch it back on the Tuesday. I turned it off before it kicked it. I couldn't watch anything Glastonbury related back til last Thursday.

Best decision I made all festival... listen to two hours of Radiohead songs I didn't know to hear the hits or embrace the happiest set of the festival.  I wasn't a hard choice.

Now the next dilemma I have is do I go and see them at the Barrowlands on the 15th August... the night before my mate's wedding or do a I be sensible and travel to the wedding the evening before like everyone else is doing?

2017_0623_23185200-01.jpeg

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

Anyone see them in Brighton? similar setlist but with the castle and waitin for a superman. I've not seen them do that one in ages, what a song that is. 

Caught them in Brighton as a resolution to my own clash problems, no regrets at seeing Radiohead instead. Like you I can only imagine the atmosphere at The Park was electric for Wayne and the lads, but I feel that way generally about most Lips crowds I've been in and Brighton was no exception. I also saw Radiohead at Rock Werchter and the difference between the Pyramid and Werchter crowds was so much greater than I can ever imagine the Lips gulf being, if that makes sense. What I'm trying to say is that every Lips crowd has that electricity, it just may have been a bit more special. However I can't believe there will be a better crowd to be in for Radiohead than the one at the Pyramid until the next time they headline it.

10 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Caught them in Brighton as a resolution to my own clash problems, no regrets at seeing Radiohead instead. Like you I can only imagine the atmosphere at The Park was electric for Wayne and the lads, but I feel that way generally about most Lips crowds I've been in and Brighton was no exception. I also saw Radiohead at Rock Werchter and the difference between the Pyramid and Werchter crowds was so much greater than I can ever imagine the Lips gulf being, if that makes sense. What I'm trying to say is that every Lips crowd has that electricity, it just may have been a bit more special. However I can't believe there will be a better crowd to be in for Radiohead than the one at the Pyramid until the next time they headline it.

Cheers you're right. I feel a bit better now!

24 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

Now the next dilemma I have is do I go and see them at the Barrowlands on the 15th August... the night before my mate's wedding or do a I be sensible and travel to the wedding the evening before like everyone else is doing?

Go! You'll get a longer setlist and it is certain to include more soft bulletin numbers, plus probably more from yoshimi. They are playing feeling yourself disintegrate a lot these days, and the current version of that is something else.

13 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Cheers you're right. I feel a bit better now!

I can guarantee that you made the right decision Russy. The Lips is special everywhere, the Pyramid crowd for Radiohead was truly special, especially given how completely dead their Werchter crowd was. Lips guarantee magic every time whereas that Radiohead crowd was truly something special.

The Brighton gig was the first time I've seen Lips sober, and they were just as good as the times I've seen them previously when spangled. They did rattle through the hits, must have played 1-2 more songs than they did at Brixton despite playing for 30 mins or so less.

19 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I can guarantee that you made the right decision Russy. The Lips is special everywhere, the Pyramid crowd for Radiohead was truly special, especially given how completely dead their Werchter crowd was. Lips guarantee magic every time whereas that Radiohead crowd was truly something special.

The Brighton gig was the first time I've seen Lips sober, and they were just as good as the times I've seen them previously when spangled. They did rattle through the hits, must have played 1-2 more songs than they did at Brixton despite playing for 30 mins or so less.

It was the atmosphere (or lack of) at the pyramid during the first half hour at Radiohead that prompted me to sack them off for Wayne and Co. My own fault entirely mind as I'd tried to catch half of Paak meaning I was further out alongside the less committed punters. People were just talking through the songs, waiting for the hits.

I'm sure it was more committed further forward, or where there were big groups who were there for more than Creep.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Did that float very far at the G? When I saw 'em the balloon got about five rows deep before someone thought "I'm having this" and haphazardly pulled it from the sky. Friggin' losers.

Is it supposed to float? Every time I've seen them it gets chucked into the crowd and ripped up into its separate letters.

• 3 weeks later...

Park gig was majestic.

Went to see them Sat night at the O2 in Birmingham (moved from The Rainbow for licensing reasons, whatever they are). Was another super gig. Not sure how he got through the crowd but he managed to ride his unicorn around the entire room.

They did the balloons thing again, talking to wife over breakfast she thought they said "BIRMINGHAM FUCK YOU" which made me laugh. :)

3 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Park gig was majestic.

Went to see them Sat night at the O2 in Birmingham (moved from The Rainbow for licensing reasons, whatever they are). Was another super gig. Not sure how he got through the crowd but he managed to ride his unicorn around the entire room.

They did the balloons thing again, talking to wife over breakfast she thought they said "BIRMINGHAM FUCK YOU" which made me laugh. :)

Saw them last night in Brizzle, I thought it was bloody great, what a party, which was also great as we took daughter for her birthday.  She even got to shout Wayne as he passed us in the street. :D

Saw them for the first time last night. I made a point of seeing them whilst working in Glasgow as clash hell prevented it at Glastonbury. From the minute they walked on until the last piece of confetti had fallen I had the biggest smile on my face. So much fun.

Seeing Wayne Coyne ride around the Barrowlands on a fibre optic unicorn is something I thought I'd never write. 

• 4 weeks later...