Going to Glastonbury alone

gcjw1990

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, phil the shrew said:

Do most festivals solo and find Glastonbury to be the best for solo festival goers.

As others have said keep an eye on this site to find details of other solo travellers so you can get set up with a good safe camping spot and to meet a few people

As a rule I'd say explore the smaller stages and areas at the festival as you tend to meet more people that way, rather than just stay by the pyramid or other stage all day. If you do get a bit lonely the campsite crew, volunteers and welfare groups are all very accessible and will get you up and running again

are you going this year from Shrewsbury?

I am going on my own from Shrewsbury :)

I went alone last year - and it was my first Glasto! I found it quite an empowering experience!! There were times when I would have liked some of my friends to have shared moments, but I absolutely loved not being tied to anyone or anything.  I joined a group of solos on facebook and camped with them, which was excellent as I felt safe and got help with things when needed and could tag along with people if I fancied company but felt no obligation to do so. 

I must have loved it anyway as I am counting the days until I do it all again!!

:D

• 1 month later...

I am also going alone this year, and its my first Glastonbury :) Similar situation to the person who started this thread, went through a break up but thought sod it i'm going anyway. Thanks to all the people who have shared their own solo experiences, looking forward to June! 

19 hours ago, BeckiRose said:

I am also going alone this year, and its my first Glastonbury :) Similar situation to the person who started this thread, went through a break up but thought sod it i'm going anyway. Thanks to all the people who have shared their own solo experiences, looking forward to June! 

Similar situation Becki - And I'm so nervous about the prospect of going on my tod. I'm trying to find some kind of Glastonbury meet-up/social event in London before June so I can go and meet other folk in the same boat. I'm nervous to travel and camp alone! 

55 minutes ago, BryonyR said:

Similar situation Becki - And I'm so nervous about the prospect of going on my tod. I'm trying to find some kind of Glastonbury meet-up/social event in London before June so I can go and meet other folk in the same boat. I'm nervous to travel and camp alone! 

Plenty of folks in this thread, if you haven't seen it yet...

On 18/04/2017 at 2:58 PM, BeckiRose said:

8 hours ago, BryonyR said:

If I manage to get a ticket in the resale (still umming and erring about whether I should even try because I'm nervous :wacko:) I'll also be going alone. I live in Kent not too far from London so would definitely be up for some pre festival meet ups!

Happily got my ticket tonight, so the realisation that I'm going alone is now very much real.

Im thinking the Wednesday and Thursday will be hardest/loneliest times however I'm going to explore and wander like never before doing what I want when I want.

Would be good to meet up with people however 

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, phil the shrew said:

Do most festivals solo and find Glastonbury to be the best for solo festival goers.

As others have said keep an eye on this site to find details of other solo travellers so you can get set up with a good safe camping spot and to meet a few people

As a rule I'd say explore the smaller stages and areas at the festival as you tend to meet more people that way, rather than just stay by the pyramid or other stage all day. If you do get a bit lonely the campsite crew, volunteers and welfare groups are all very accessible and will get you up and running again

are you going on your own from Shrewsbury?? 

On 4/19/2017 at 10:48 AM, BryonyR said:

Hi Bryony! I'm up for going to the meet up clarkete mentioned otherwise i'll drop you a message and we can meet up beforehand if you would like? Don't be nervous, it seems loads of people are in the same boat as us and you could always get the same coach as me if you didnt want to travel alone either? I booked one from Victoria. Chat soon!

On 3/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, jennilily said:

are you going this year from Shrewsbury?

I am going on my own from Shrewsbury :)

@jennilily- I've booked a coach now from Birmingham.  I am happy to meet up and travel with you if you think it'd help (9.30 there and 10.30 back).  Though I should warn you, I'm probably twice your age so I won't be offended if you'd rather not.  But if it'd calm your fears to have someone - even an old codger - from your hometown as a touchpoint, the offer's there.

Going on your own is great fun. I sometimes go with friends but other times am very happy to be on my own. Yes there are a number of different 'solo' groups you could join but you always have the option to camp alone. Some of my favourite ones have been spent that way.

You can still get to know your neighbours and it's true what many people on efestivals say, you are never truly alone at Glastonbury :)

4 hours ago, sime said:

You can still get to know your neighbours and it's true what many people on efestivals say, you are never truly alone at Glastonbury :)

This is so true. I've been on my own a couple of times and absoltutely loved it. It doesn't feel like being on your own, and there are about 200,000 people there to talk to. Camp Solo is a great idea, and another great way to start would be getting along to the eFests meet-up on the Wednesday and put some faces to the names of the lovely peeps on here. You won't be on your own at the festival from that point on at all!

55 minutes ago, billum said:

This is so true. I've been on my own a couple of times and absoltutely loved it. It doesn't feel like being on your own, and there are about 200,000 people there to talk to. Camp Solo is a great idea, and another great way to start would be getting along to the eFests meet-up on the Wednesday and put some faces to the names of the lovely peeps on here. You won't be on your own at the festival from that point on at all!

Group camping for people going alone is a nice idea. I have had both good and bad experiences with that. The bad one was with the now infamous ,''. That was awful. Such a cliquey, unfriendly group of people...

The good experience was and will be this year with a group I camped with the first time they did it in 2011 and this year will be returning too, up in Oxylers. Even when I came alone or with other friends I would still go and see them on the Wednesday as I have become good friends on facebook with some of them :)

So in my experience there is good and bad with the group camping idea and mostly good with a little bit of lonely bad with camping alone. 

But whatever, there will be plenty of things to do other than being back at your tent :)

On 27/04/2017 at 9:07 PM, Beerqueen said:

@jennilily- I've booked a coach now from Birmingham.  I am happy to meet up and travel with you if you think it'd help (9.30 there and 10.30 back).  Though I should warn you, I'm probably twice your age so I won't be offended if you'd rather not.  But if it'd calm your fears to have someone - even an old codger - from your hometown as a touchpoint, the offer's there.

Only just seen this I would love that!! And age is just a number xxx

1 hour ago, jennilily said:

Only just seen this I would love that!! And age is just a number xxx

Great.  Well if you book on the National Express coach from Birmingham leaving at 9.30 on Wednesday we can get the train together from Shrewsbury and walk to the coach station together.