Going to Glastonbury alone

gcjw1990

Hey, 

so has anyone ever been to Glastonbury alone? Iv just got tickets and then lucky for me a week later my partner breaks up with me but as these tickets are the 21st century "Golden Ticket" I still really want to go. Is their any forums for other solo go'ers about to possibly meet up once their! 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be threads about solo festival goers meeting up closer to the time of the festival. I can't think of any recent threads on the subject, but then I don't follow all threads. If you stick on here you'll be alright for meeting up with like minded souls.

I've never been alone but reckon it's easily doable. With so much entertainment and fun going on around you it'll be hard not to get in to a nice vibe. I think it will help meeting up with others though. We had an efester (who shall remain nameless, waapster) who joined our group all weekend thinking we were the group he had intentionally meant to meet up with. We weren't that group but he and we had a ball I believe that the other group did too!

Went by myself last year, and really enjoyed myself.

Made a load of five-minute friends, and a few who I hung out with a bit longer.  Chatted to people near where I was camping, and met up with them when out plans intersected. Caught up with a few old friends who I knew were there. 

Upside - I didn't have to worry, at any time, about what other people wanted to do.  If I wanted, I could wander off - I had some unexpected fun by following recommendations from new 'friends' / deciding I was bored of something halfway through ; if I wanted to eat, drink, piss, sleep, I didn't have to coordinate it and agree when and where and what; easier to make new friends when you aren't with a load of existing ones*.

Downside - there were lonely moments, especially felt when I was a bit emotionally vulnerable - such as on the mornings after, or during the Adele set (which I eventually left - in my defence, my wife was back at home and I hadn't seen her for a week :( ).  Sometimes the purposeless wandering carried on a bit too long, but that's my inability to make a decision.  Also, I didn't party quite as hard as usual, because I was aware that I was alone, and so didn't have any guaranteed support if I got too fucked up - though that might be considered an upside.

* Best five-minute friend was the dude who talked to me as I was standing, slightly stunned and bewildered, after the LCD Soundsystem set on Sunday night.  I feeling quite tired and emotional, and he chatted with me for a few minutes to make sure I was OK, suggested I joined him and his mates for the rest of the night, and when I said I was off in the opposite direction, gave me hug and wished me luck.  

13 hours ago, gcjw1990 said:

Hey, 

so has anyone ever been to Glastonbury alone? Iv just got tickets and then lucky for me a week later my partner breaks up with me but as these tickets are the 21st century "Golden Ticket" I still really want to go. Is their any forums for other solo go'ers about to possibly meet up once their! 

Sorry to hear about your break up. I think 'Camp Ralph' is a group of solo campers in the same area, if you want to look into camping with others. Chatting on here will make those introductions, particularly the 'Hello' page, link below. 

as well as coming along to any meets that are going to be set up on the Weds or Thurs. 

Have a think about what you like to do and then see if people are off to the same things, like bimble alone until 6pm and then meet up etc. I've always found people ok to chat with and start up conversations around the site, so there are always chances to chat.  We've made friends this way, in our group onsite, as well as making friends on this forum then meeting there.

Afternoon,

Just like Camp Ralph, there is also camp solo. If you have a search on here nearer the time I am sure there will be a thread. Last year it resulted in the worlds most overactive whatsapp chat in the weeks running up to the festival so make sure you have a decent data plan if you decide to join!

p.s You'll be fine alone, no limits, no restrictions and everyone will love the fact you've come alone, great conversation starter!

I'm going solo next year. I'm quite looking forward to it actually. I love being there with my Mrs and the normal gang but expect I miss a lot of stuff as we tend to move as a group. 

My Mrs always chooses the worst possible time for the loos and I seem to be lurking around the loos waiting for her. That gets right on my tits at times.

I'm going to stay in Tangerine Fields this year for a bit added security and so I don't have to join the rush for camping spots. Arrive Weds evening and jump straight into the action. 

I intend to get to the eFestivals meetup and happy to join up with any other solo flyers if there's stuff on the lineup we want to see.

Sorry to hear about your break-up. Going solo isn't a bad thing - the @jfaragher wrote seems to sum it up pretty well. Everyone is quite chatty at a festival, the normal world barriers aren't there and everyone is more relaxed.

Keep an eye out for camp solo threads, there's usually a couple that spring up nearer the time. 

I intend on actually making the eFest meet this year and know that people on this forum have made some good friends by using the camp solo threads and meeting people at the meets.

Congrats on getting a ticket too!

• 2 months later...

I'm going solo this year. My kid needs to stay in school because he's been out ill a lot already so my husband will stay at home. I'm American. I went to Coachella solo after being separated from friends and the cell services died. I stood alone watching Radiohead that year and bawled my eyes out (It was an emotional show). I expect that I may be bawling my eyes out alone in a field watching Radiohead this year also. Ah well. I have friends in 2 bands who *might* be playing (I've seen them listed in predictions here but haven't yet asked them if they will be playing) so I might be able to meet up with them for a bit. Other than that, I'll be there on my own as complete Glastonbury noob. I did Fuji Rock and Sound City solo too so I'm sure I'll be ok. Right?

On 30/01/2017 at 11:33 PM, Queen said:

I'm going solo this year. My kid needs to stay in school because he's been out ill a lot already so my husband will stay at home. I'm American. I went to Coachella solo after being separated from friends and the cell services died. I stood alone watching Radiohead that year and bawled my eyes out (It was an emotional show). I expect that I may be bawling my eyes out alone in a field watching Radiohead this year also. Ah well. I have friends in 2 bands who *might* be playing (I've seen them listed in predictions here but haven't yet asked them if they will be playing) so I might be able to meet up with them for a bit. Other than that, I'll be there on my own as complete Glastonbury noob. I did Fuji Rock and Sound City solo too so I'm sure I'll be ok. Right?

You will be fine going alone, the festival is a very friendly place, might be a good idea to hook up with the group of solo campers from here though as I can imagine it could be a bit lonely camping by yourself. 
Charm x

On 1/30/2017 at 11:33 PM, Queen said:

Who are the bands? 

Warpaint, Brian Jonestown Massacre are the ones I've seen listed as possible (I'm going to ask them now). Originally from PDX where I used to do pirate radio so also have friends in Sleater-Kinney, Decemberists, Dandy Warhols, and if they are from Portland I probably know them somehow. It will be great to seem them on such massive stages. Em has a funny way of always finding me in the crowd (I'm tall).

Do most festivals solo and find Glastonbury to be the best for solo festival goers.

As others have said keep an eye on this site to find details of other solo travellers so you can get set up with a good safe camping spot and to meet a few people

As a rule I'd say explore the smaller stages and areas at the festival as you tend to meet more people that way, rather than just stay by the pyramid or other stage all day. If you do get a bit lonely the campsite crew, volunteers and welfare groups are all very accessible and will get you up and running again

Embrace it :) I'm doing first year alone after many years and although atm I have a few worries i.e how the feck am I gonna carry everything alone,I'm massively excited to be solo. I'm sure there will be sad times like the mornings after or after 2-3days of not much sleep and it will be weird not to have my wingman to point crazy shit out to or joke with but I'm also looking forward to not having to compromise or only doing half stuff I'd want to do. The thing that's making me chuckle at mo is when say to non glasto going folk that I'm flying solo they all think I'm mad and somehow now I'm alone then something terrible is going to happen to me all a sudden,the way I see it is I'm less likely to have trouble as this year there's only one knobhead to worry about not 2 so surely I'm less likely to get get hassle lol 

Edited by glastolover19

1 hour ago, cb4747 said:

I'm likely to be facing the festival alone, I'm finding it doubtful my friend will be able to get a resale ticket! I'm very nervous and it's making me unsure of whether to go. 

You really need to go this year, especially after your disappointment last time, maybe hooking up with the camp solo guys will be a good idea, they seem like a great crowd. 
Charm x

If I can get a ticket in the resale I'll be going alone this year.  I've enjoyed going with friends and family over the last 4 years but even then I end up wandering around aimlessly discovering new weird shit - if I'm lucky on the ticket front I'm really looking forward to a solo experience  this year 

I know it can feel like an overwhelming experience to even remotely think about going to something as vast as Glastonbury alone but please please please anyone in this position take a lot of time to think about it and don't rule it out, especially if you are edging on the side of not going.

Having gone in 2014 and 2015 I couldn't face not going in 2016 when I found myself in the predicament of not having anyone to go with.

Had a search on here and decided to join Camp Solo. And whilst a nervous experience no doubt for anyone going alone, felt right at home within seconds as if I'd known them for years. Even preferred it to going with my friends in 2014 and 2015. There was always someone to go and see any band you wanted to due to the amount of diverse people in camp. Would highly recommend it to anyone! Truly, this was one of the best years I went! I'd hate to see anyone not going because they have no one to go with when there's camp solo and any other similar camp of the sort. 

You're never alone at Glastonbury!

Having been in a group for 2013, 2014 and 2015 I couldn't go last year due to a friends wedding.  The thought of missing it again this year fills me with dread!  However, this year it's looking like a solo visit or not at all.  After reading peoples experiences I think I'll be trying in the resale and making the trip on my own.  Would be very keen to meet with the Camp Solo crew and also the efestival meetup, fingers crossed for resale!

Edited by RayC

Don't miss it! I went alone once in 2003 and out of the seven times I've been, it was one of my top two. Suppose going alone now is different to going alone then, much easier to arrange meet ups and that if you want to. I don't know if it's an every year thing, but I read on a few of the threads for last year about an eFestivals meet up on the Wednesday evening near the Cabaret. Meant to pop along but between the ball ache of getting in and not being able to walk too well I thought it'd be best to just get hammered instead.

Suppose it depends on the individual, but when I did go alone I really did have such an amazing time. I didn't get lonely, even when I go in groups I spend a lot of time alone anyway. It was nice to be able to wander, do your own thing, see what you want when you want, be where you want when you want without dealing with the perennial mistake of conversations with mates saying "alright, I'm off to see so-and-so, meet us at the ice cream van in an hour" which surely has never worked for anyone ever. Maybe I'll go alone again one day.

Glastonbury is a really great festival to do solo.  Of course there are highs and lows - moments when you find yourself in some crazy and exciting rabbit hole situation (literally or otherwise ;-) ), and moments when you deeply wish your friends were there to share the experience.

So long as you find the courage to explore, and are somewhat open to interacting with other festival-goers, and are prepared to ride out the inevitable lonely moments, you'll have a great time.