Hip Hop, Rap, Grime 2017

Damy

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

not down as an exlusive are they? whereas Aphex Twin is, so there must be a pretty good chance (well, as much as them appearing at any other UK fest...)

Not seen any mention of Death Grips being an exclusive.... fingers crossed - would love to see them to be fair.

Edited by Tyonks

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Oddisee is releasing The Iceberg on 24th February. Could a return to West Holts be on the cards? Enjoyed him this year.

No. Would like to see him come and do some more festivals though and make a name for himself. Looking forward to that album.

Just spotted on the news page that Jazzy Jeff is playing something on his own in July. Probably kiboshes the Fresh Prince set. :(

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just spotted on the news page that Jazzy Jeff is playing something on his own in July. Probably kiboshes the Fresh Prince set. :(

didn't sound particularly positive from the interview he gave a month or so back, but that's a shiter all the same. Will needs to actually get this music thing going sometime soon, and with his acting career not exactly lighting up the world at the moment it should definitely be soon! (although not so soon that it misses Glastonbury during the fallow year...)

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

No. Would like to see him come and do some more festivals though and make a name for himself. Looking forward to that album.

He played a local pub in my town a few months back, like a 100 capacity venue.  Hardly the megastar status you'd expect.

12 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Oddisee is releasing The Iceberg on 24th February. Could a return to West Holts be on the cards? Enjoyed him this year.

He's also doing a few UK dates in the new year as well, which you may wish to check out.

After listening to NX Worries a couple of times now I think I might like it even more than Mailbu. Both great records though. Lets hope Anderson .Paak keeps releasing two albums a year!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chris_top_her said:

Yasiin Bey Performing Classic Mos Def tour at the moment, how I would love this on the West Holts!

These are supposedly his last ever shows.

Having had tickets to see him 3 times and him not showing up to any of them, even if he was booked I wouldn't be hopeful. And of course this ones been rearranged for when I'm not in the country.

One time they didn't let the crowd know until an hour after he was supposed to play. 

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Favourite hip-hop album of the year? I want to say Splendor & Misery by Clipping, but I feel like I've not listened to Ka or ATCQ enough yet to make a valid call.

Assuming Malibu isn't classed as hip hop, I'd go Danny Brown.

Shoutout to Flatbush Zombies who I haven't seen many shouts for in the end of year lists.

Just now, ConorC said:

Shoutout to Flatbush Zombies who I haven't seen many shouts for in the end of year lists.

I was classic Malibu more as R&B, there's definitey loads of hip hop in there, but it's not pure enough to be considered in the hip hop ubermensch. Danny Brown's didn't click with me, I'll have to give it another go at some point though, loved his verse on the Avalanches' single.

Not heard of Flatbush Zombies, to the internet I go.

23 minutes ago, ConorC said:

Nah Paak definitely belongs to hip hop culture at this point, at least because of the backing he gets and collaborations he does. He'll be featuring on or topping loads of hip hop album lists. Kaytranada too.

My fave is Danny Brown too but I disagree on the FBZ front. All their previous albums have been damn good but this one just seemed pathetic and then they finished it off with that track with recorded fan voice messages thanking them. The horror.

Edited by dentalplan

38 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Favourite hip-hop album of the year? I want to say Splendor & Misery by Clipping, but I feel like I've not listened to Ka or ATCQ enough yet to make a valid call.

Kamaiyah and Tribe Called Quest for me. One final bow by old legends and one perfect debut. I could listen to that Kamaiyah mixtape all day.

I liked Made in the Manor, Malibu (tbh regretting putting Coloring Book instead of it in my aoty list) and the Babyfather album too, tho obviously none of those are straight up hip-hop.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nah Paak definitely belongs to hip hop culture at this point, at least because of the backing he gets and collaborations he does. He'll be featuring on or topping loads of hip hop album lists. Kaytranada too.

My fave is Danny Brown too but I disagree on the FBZ front. All their previous albums have been damn good but this one just seemed pathetic and then they finished it off with that track with recorded fan voice messages thanking them. The horror.

Yeah that was shit to be fair. I enjoyed the album though, good live act too.

Kaytranada is my AOTY across all genres but again I wouldn't have thought he was 'hip hop'.

Also really enjoyed the Vic Mensa project, probably too short to go in any lists though. Excited for his new album.

41 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Bloody hell I was looking to start my year end list this week but J. Cole, Kid Cudi, Gucci Mane, Childish Gambino, Injury Reserve, Little Simz and Ab-Soul all decided to drop this month. Going to be a while for all these to settle in.

I still need to check Soulo and now Simbi's releases. I've given Gambino more than enough plays to trust my opinion in it now though, very nice. His performance on Fallon the other night was cool as shit too. I might use this new found optimism about Glover to revisit the old albums that I had never though much of, despite them being so far removed.

I got carried away and did a top 10 [what I consider] hip hop albums of the year.

1. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
  2. Frank Ocean - Blond
  3. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got it From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
  4. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
  5. Anderson Paak - Malibu
  6. Swet Shop Boys - Cashmere
  7. Childish Gambino - "Awaken, My Love!"
  8. Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
  9. ScHoolboy Q - Blank Face LP
  10. Denzel Curry - Imperial

special mention to Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid. That would be right up there and it's got some quality tracks but whenever I put it on it feels about four hours long.

Edited by dentalplan

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I got carried away and did a top 10 [what I consider] hip hop albums of the year.

1. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
  2. Frank Ocean - Blond
  3. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got it From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
  4. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
  5. Anderson Paak - Malibu
  6. Swet Shop Boys - Cashmere
  7. Childish Gambino - "Awaken, My Love!"
  8. Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
  9. ScHoolboy Q - Blank Face LP
  10. Denzel Curry - Imperial

nice list - can the new Childish Gambino really be considered hip hop though? its a straight soul/funk album to my ears.

Just now, rhg_99 said:

nice list - can the new Childish Gambino really be considered hip hop though? its a straight soul/funk album to my ears.

Your ears aren't wrong. I could use the old "hip hop isn't a genre, hip hop ≠ rap" thing but there's so little of anything hip hop to justify it anyway. But still I think he belongs to the hip hop subculture still from his past (and I guess his present, TV-wise) and most people that listened to it have an active interest in rap, trap, etc. more than funk or soul.

It's fairer me saying "this is the 7th best hip hop album" having listened to dozens of hip hop albums than "this is the best funk album" having listened to one. :lol:

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Your ears aren't wrong. I could use the old "hip hop isn't a genre, hip hop ≠ rap" thing but there's so little of anything hip hop to justify it anyway. But still I think he belongs to the hip hop subculture still from his past (and I guess his present, TV-wise) and most people that listened to it have an active interest in rap, trap, etc. more than funk or soul.

It's fairer me saying "this is the 7th best hip hop album" having listened to dozens of hip hop albums than "this is the best funk album" having listened to one. :lol:

Yeah I understand your reasoning completely. The album really caught me off guard, I've never particularly got on with his previous releases but really enjoyed the new one. It was a very pleasant surprise. 

A Tribe Called Quest, THANK YOU.

What a fucking incredible album they gave us.

I don't get bored of listening to it, there's so much to take in. Q-Tip managed to produce an album that sounds so fresh everytime I spin it, there's so many sounds being made that it's always interesting.

Such an emotional listen aswell given the circumstances.

This will sit up there with House of Balloons in terms of this decade of music. A piece of perfection.

Common is my 2nd hip-hop album of the year, Black America Again is amazing but it's still lightyears behind this.

• Downvote 1