Hip Hop, Rap, Grime 2017

Damy

Just now, dentalplan said:

Think Daveed Diggs is still on Broadway doing Hamilton or something isn't he? Must be out of the picture for a while on the touring front.

Ah fair enough, this was uploaded last night (performed in February) and they usually catch people on tour so I thought they might be active again. Knew it was an optimistic thought from the off though.

15 minutes ago, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

he calls his mum 'mumsie'

For anybody that cares about this sort of thing, he's been sending subliminals at Cadell on-and-off for a little while now but refuses to clash because he'd lose. Stormzy gets a lot of stick because he won't clash and he's only appeared on a handful of sets. If you're not getting involved in sets then you're not really grime.

Sir Spyro has got to be on the farm this year. He's starting to get a lot of attention. He actually produced on Stormzy's album and those are the only grimey tracks.

Edited by OffshoreToon
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ConorC said:

I'm sure I heard Stormzy say in an interview not long ago that he classes himself as hip hop, not grime now anyway.

Also, being a 'hardman' and listening to Adele aren't mutually exclusive.

No, obviously, but listening and "singing my lungs out" are quite different. He seems like a nice, well-grounded bloke, so the attempts to come across as 'bad' just seem pointless. He isn't that big within the grime scene where that might be appreciated.

Well you've waited to see what crappie stuff you've got now you know.. What I don't get is why there on the other stage surely they would be better........ Not that they can be better........... In the silver haze stage.. 

There still shit tho.. There gigs even have to be policed cos of violence and shit...... 

But yea turn silver haze into the rap rapidly grime central. 

• Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Well you've waited to see what crappie stuff you've got now you know.. What I don't get is why there on the other stage surely they would be better........ Not that they can be better........... In the silver haze stage.. 

There still shit tho.. There gigs even have to be policed cos of violence and shit...... 

But yea turn silver haze into the rap rapidly grime central. 

*INSERT FRY 'NOT SURE IF SERIOUS' MEME*

44 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Yea old son course I'm serious.. 

I don't understand why you repeatedly come into this thread to inform people that you don't like this type of music.

Will you be walking round the other stage in June telling everyone "what you're watching is shit!"? 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, priest17 said:

I've been a fan of clipping. for a while now, never thought what a live performance would be like, this is amazing though, one of them sets you lose half an hour to out of fascination/confusion (in a good way). No tour dates after April so probably unlikely...

Wow, how have I missed these guys.

Thanks mate great shout!

1 hour ago, ConorC said:

I don't understand why you repeatedly come into this thread to inform people that you don't like this type of music.

Will you be walking round the other stage in June telling everyone "what you're watching is shit!"? 

Well said. If you don't like hip-hop or grime that's fine, but the hip-hop and grime thread probably isn't the best place to express those feelings.

4 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Well said. If you don't like hip-hop or grime that's fine, but the hip-hop and grime thread probably isn't the best place to express those feelings.

As my old Nan used to say... If you haven't got anything good to say then go write it on an internet forum

1 hour ago, ConorC said:

Well it has been known old son.. 

• Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Meatball said:

As my old Nan used to say... If you haven't got anything good to say then go write it on an internet forum

Now now old son it's all fun and games Init.. Shouldn't take things to heart.. You might get upset and you don't want that not on a festival forum ah... I'm sure if pearl jam were ever to play you would be saying what a load of drivel that is.. But you wouldn't want me to get all upset and start moaning would ya.... 

I did also say that your rapcrap stuff should have its own place at silver haze so that in some strange warped out way is a complement Init.. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Now now old son it's all fun and games Init.. Shouldn't take things to heart.. You might get upset and you don't want that not on a festival forum ah... I'm sure if pearl jam were ever to play you would be saying what a load of drivel that is.. But you wouldn't want me to get all upset and start moaning would ya.... 

I did also say that your rapcrap stuff should have its own place at silver haze so that in some strange warped out way is a complement Init.. 

You realise that people are allowed to enjoy more than one genre of music? I like Pearl Jam. Also, even if people did hate Pearl Jam I think they'd probably be able to contain their hate as opposed to going into the Pearl Jam thread and slagging them every 5 mins.

As for the last bit. I think we'll leave it to Emily Eavis to decide where 'rapcrap's place is at glastonbury shall we?

On 05/04/2017 at 11:45 AM, OffshoreToon said:

Stormzy gets a lot of stick because he won't clash and he's only appeared on a handful of sets.

Can't freestyle, would get wrecked at a clash.

That album was a (good) surprise though - gospel, soul, R&B.  He's quite a lot more versatile that I expected

7 minutes ago, evannn said:

With Skepta probably not having his own slot this year and Wiley being on the poster already, what do we reckon the odds of JME doing a solo set are? 

I was sure JME would get a slot last year, but obviously he didn't. He'd suit a late night Sonic appearance but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

2 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

That album was a (good) surprise though - gospel, soul, R&B.  He's quite a lot more versatile that I expected

Yeah, he stuck to what he's good at and that sound is definitely more marketable than grime.

5 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Yeah Stormzy is a far more diverse artist than I had him down as, I can't imagine he'd be any good in a clash though. His fire in the booth sets are usually decent.