Hip Hop, Rap, Grime 2017

Damy

8 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

There's Grime on the poster but yet again Hip-Hop is left wanting.

Yup, although Loyle Carner sneaks in at the bottom of that poster. So much Grime though!

Pleased about Anderson .Paak, these boards convinced me he wouldn't be there this year!

2 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

I concur. Thought we'd atleast see Tribe. Still shit loads more to come though.

Stormzy isn't an established artist, regardless of his recent commercial success and mainstream popularity. Is such a prominent position for a grime act in-line with what your typical Glastonbury punter expects from the festival? Completely appreciate I could be wide of the mark, but I'm not sure he is. BBK I get, but higher up than the likes of Justice and Goldfrapp... not for me.

21 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

Stormzy isn't an established artist, regardless of his recent commercial success and mainstream popularity. Is such a prominent position for a grime act in-line with what your typical Glastonbury punter expects from the festival? Completely appreciate I could be wide of the mark, but I'm not sure he is. BBK I get, but higher up than the likes of Justice and Goldfrapp... not for me.

He's huge at the moment and he's only getting bigger, why the fuck would they put Goldfrapp in his place?

51 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

Different tastes innit. Plenty of people will be hyped by Stormzy being on the bill in a decent slot. He has sold a fuckload of albums.

Surprised to see Kano back again. He was great last year, so I recommend for anyone who didn't see him.

2 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

It differs between what you consider it to be; for instance Shadow, BBNG and Avalanches are juggernauts when it comes to the beats, Thundercat has laid down huge instrumentals for Kendrick, then obviously RTJ, Loyle Carner, Paak and Nines, who I take is a UK trap mc.

Seems really healthy to me. Not sure how much better they coulda done with who's touring, aside from Tribe of course.

Holding out for Tribe being announced at some point. Would have been a far better option the Stormzy in that slot. Any chance they might still be announced, have a relatively new album after all? Perhaps they have a UK exclusive somewhere else..?

BBK put on a really good live show, but you can't be sure who you'll get. Hopefully they all turn up for Glastonbury, but I wouldn't expect Skepta or Solo 45.

Stormzy may shout out grime, but the majority of his stuff is hip hop/rnb. His album was him going back to his 'roots' in a way as he made his name with tracks that were more hip hop/rnb. Just listen to how much singing there is.

Edited by OffshoreToon

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is Nines any cop?

I checked him out after learning about him. I was in error labelling him as trap as that was just one song. Not a fan tho, the flow is so laid back and mumbled that it gets hard to follow.

1 minute ago, OffshoreToon said:

BBK put on a really good live show, but you can't be sure who you'll get. Hopefully they all turn up for Glastonbury, but I wouldn't expect Skepta or Solo 45.

Stormzy may shout out grime, but the majority of his stuff is hip hop/rnb. His album was him going back to his 'roots' in a way as he made his name with tracks that were more rnb.

Fair on Storm. And Dizzee will get bunged in with that too but obviously he hasn't been grime since Showtime.

I should hope Skepta will be there during BBK's set - if they get a big slot and the highest profile name on show is JME then it'll go down horribly.

I'm not sure why so many people were expecting Kendrick. Was never looking likely as he hardly ever plays over here. Pyramid headliner for 2019 is the dream.

The omission of A Tribe Called Quest is a real shame , was half expecting Danny Brown too. Very pleased that Anderson Paak is on the line up though as I was really gutted when he wasnt announced last year. 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Fair on Storm. And Dizzee will get bunged in with that too but obviously he hasn't been grime since Showtime.

I should hope Skepta will be there during BBK's set - if they get a big slot and the highest profile name on show is JME then it'll go down horribly.

Yeah, my fear is that Dizzee/Wiley will play their commercial stuff because they think the Glasto crowd will be more responsive to it. I saw Dizzee's BIDC show in October and it was great, so if half of his set is Bonkers etc. it'll be a huge shame. The one time I saw Wiley was at his worst, so I'm not going to expect too much. First thing he said to the crowd was "I don't really want to be here, but I'm gonna do the show for you guys" then left it to Scratchy to do most of the work. Dickhead, but I'll still be there in June. His set has the most potential on that poster imo.

Skepta seems to have worryingly turned into a cokehead recently, so its probably best to not expect him and be pleasantly surprised if he turns up. When I saw BBK at Bestival a couple of years ago it was Skepta, JME, Jammer, Frisco and Shorty. They were all great, so it'll be a good set regardless.

9 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

I'm not sure why so many people were expecting Kendrick. Was never looking likely as he hardly ever plays over here. Pyramid headliner for 2019 is the dream.

The omission of A Tribe Called Quest is a real shame , was half expecting Danny Brown too. Very pleased that Anderson Paak is on the line up though as I was really gutted when he wasnt announced last year. 

Maybe Tribe are held back to help Bestival sales? Tho ofc The xx were announced.

4 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

Yeah, my fear is that Dizzee/Wiley will play their commercial stuff because they think the Glasto crowd will be more responsive to it. I saw Dizzee's BIDC show in October and it was great, so if half of his set is Bonkers etc. it'll be a huge shame. The one time I saw Wiley was at his worst, so I'm not going to expect too much. First thing he said to the crowd was "I don't really want to be here, but I'm gonna do the show for you guys" then left it to Scratchy to do most of the work. Dickhead, but I'll still be there in June. His set has the most potential on that poster imo.

Skepta seems to have worryingly turned into a cokehead recently, so its probably best to not expect him and be pleasantly surprised if he turns up. When I saw BBK at Bestival a couple of years ago it was Skepta, JME, Jammer, Frisco and Shorty. They were all great, so it'll be a good set regardless.

Yeah Wiley's should be good. He's really amped for it.

I think Dizzee has to do the house tracks to be honest. They were his biggest hits, sadly, and there'll certainly be people more into that watching him.

And I didn't know that about Skepta but they've still got a huge placing to fill by the looks of the poster. I think at different fests they could go ahead without him but he's so much bigger than the collective at Glasto that it's just a non-starter without. Plus I don't expect Wiley if he's meant to be doing the same stage the same day.

29 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

Stormzy may shout out grime, but the majority of his stuff is hip hop/rnb. His album was him going back to his 'roots' in a way as he made his name with tracks that were more hip hop/rnb. Just listen to how much singing there is.

Sounds like from the end of that video, Skepta will be there.

Edited by J1990