Hip Hop, Rap, Grime 2017

Damy

Feels like weak hip hop year right? RTJ, amp fiddler (who I cant find on the app), anderson paak, akua naru. Beside those there are only grime. Not that into grime unfortunately.

Sad they couldnt replace tribe if they were supposed to headline friday on west holts..

Any other suggestions?

2 hours ago, SweedeP said:

Feels like weak hip hop year right? RTJ, amp fiddler (who I cant find on the app), anderson paak, akua naru. Beside those there are only grime. Not that into grime unfortunately.

Sad they couldnt replace tribe if they were supposed to headline friday on west holts..

Any other suggestions?

Shay D is on Leftfield I think, she's decent. Loyle Carner is on JPT I think as well, I really like his album. Both British, but British Hip-Hop as apposed to Grime, I can see why that might not be what you're not looking for. 

If British hip-hop aint your thing Estonia's finest Tommy Cash is on The Blues (video for Winaloto might raise an eyebrow from yourself and those around you but worth checking out if you haven't seen it). Supposed to be incredible live.

• 2 months later...

Anybody checked out Brockhampton? If not I highly suggest you do. Rap collective who kind of lamely refer to themselves as a 'boy band' (I guess because one of them is more of a singer than rapper). New album (second this year) just came out and it is straight fire. They have some certified bangers and are probably gonna take off pretty massively soon I'd have thought.

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Anybody checked out Brockhampton? If not I highly suggest you do. Rap collective who kind of lamely refer to themselves as a 'boy band' (I guess because one of them is more of a singer than rapper). New album (second this year) just came out and it is straight fire. They have some certified bangers and are probably gonna take off pretty massively soon I'd have thought.

yeh been listening to them for a little while now. Do you prefer SATURATION I or II? Only listened to II a couple times so far but think it may grow to become my favourite of the two.

Just now, rhg_99 said:

yeh been listening to them for a little while now. Do you prefer SATURATION I or II? Only listened to II a couple times so far but think it may grow to become my favourite of the two.

Yeah II is sounding pretty fantastic and agree it'll probably become my favourite of the two. Some excellent songs on there. Queer is an absolute banger.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah II is sounding pretty fantastic and agree it'll probably become my favourite of the two. Some excellent songs on there. Queer is an absolute banger.

I agree. I know there have been a lot of Odd Future similarities being mentioned but these guys are much better than OF ever were in my opinion. Seem to hold together better as a group, Odd Future were always far too reliant on one or two members. Their records are more consistent too.

Edited by rhg_99

Had a couple of goes round on the first one when it came out but it didn't get me that interested. With all the hype I'll give some time to the second one and if that grips me I'll have a crack with the first tape again. They seem nothing like Odd Future except they're a collective and they're getting some buzz, but people are lazy so I'm not surprised.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Posted in the new music thread but belongs here too. Not good.

Remember when everyone like Eminem because of the good beats and his great flow?

Bold choice not implementing them here. The Last 5 seconds happened and I almost got excited but then the song ended. I don't expect anything from him these days and I was still disappointed. Heard better from Macklemore. 

• 1 month later...

I know I've been a bit of a twat over the last year with my silly posts.. I stick with my opinion but on a serious note what would you lot that like this genre of music think about having a stage just for this music.. 

I don't know where maybe in the dance field.. I'm also saying that acts as big as Eminem, Jay z etc couldn't play the other stages but maybe a stage solely for smaller rap. Grim.. Hip hop artists.. 

Just a thought... 

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Why segregate it?

Not trying to segregate but like say silver haze and the acoustic stage and especially the JP stage that offers new bands why not a hip hop rap JP stage sort of thing  something different..... There should be room.. Especially if you take away the phone top up thing lol 

The way I see it, grime and hip hop have has a huge couple of years in the UK, more so than bands in some respects, so they should have equal billing on the main stages, no need to have its own stage really. I don’t think a major stage should ever really just stick with one genre. Will be interesting how it’s managed at the best festival for sure. 

42 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

The way I see it, grime and hip hop have has a huge couple of years in the UK, more so than bands in some respects, so they should have equal billing on the main stages, no need to have its own stage really. I don’t think a major stage should ever really just stick with one genre. Will be interesting how it’s managed at the best festival for sure. 

Another conversation for the bread and roses me thinks lol