Hip Hop, Rap, Grime 2017

Damy

I think it was a really good move from the festival last year concentrating on Grime and British hip-hop, I reckon they'll probably try and do the same next year. 

Wouldn't mind a bit of this:

But the main thing would be Dizzee Rascal, he's had a great history with the festival, would appeal to both new and older grime fans and also seems to be going back to his roots by playing his debut in full. I'd love to see something great from him next year, especially if it meant a spot at Glastonbury.

Apparently hip hop behemoths House of Pain are still around and touring again.

Haven't heard any of their other tracks, but Jump Around would always be played at the student union at kicking out time, so maybe they could do a Monday morning set?

Edited by pjadnoo

On 15 October 2016 at 0:09 PM, priest17 said:

Agree with everything here so far, I was pretty late on Aesop Rock's latest, did I miss him last year? He'd be good I reckon. Only listened trough the album once after discovering it yesterday but Swet Shop Boys would be alright. Young Fathers are always welcome in my book.

Love Aesop Rock. I don't think he was on last year. if he was then i'll be pissed for missing it. First discovered him through Evil Nine's Crooked. Quality!

On 22 October 2016 at 9:35 PM, Alex DeLarge said:

But the main thing would be Dizzee Rascal, he's had a great history with the festival, would appeal to both new and older grime fans and also seems to be going back to his roots by playing his debut in full. I'd love to see something great from him next year, especially if it meant a spot at Glastonbury.

Boy in da Corner live at Glastonbury. Yes please. he's done Glasto a far bit so could see him showing up somewhere.

On 10/23/2016 at 0:39 AM, pjadnoo said:

Apparently hip hop behemoths House of Pain are still around and touring again.

Haven't heard any of their other tracks, but Jump Around would always be played at the student union at kicking out time, so maybe they could do a Monday morning set?

They were the "special guests" (loose definition of the word 'special' there) after Muse dropped out at Bestival the other year. They were pretty poor. But I suppose if a 50 year old Irish-American bloke spitting out homophobic slurs is your thing they could be pretty enjoyable...

On 22/10/2016 at 8:10 PM, dentalplan said:

woah Eric B. & Rakim reunited for the first time since '93. Hope they can line that up.

Anyone seen Rakim live? Good experience?

Also reminds me to shout up for KRS-One on a late night stage. He's always trekking around the UK playing weird towns now so Glastonbury should be added to that.

Saw KRS last month in Manchester. Excellent gig, though not sure if it'd translate to the festival environment in a tent or something. Doesn't he have this thing about that sound being absolutely perfect at his shows?

Different question - where would people put J Cole on a glasto bill? Played to arenas here on his last tour and in America he sits with Drake/Kendrick as the big hip hop kingpins at the moment. Would he be mid-order pyramid/other headline? Or lower? To be honest I doubt he'd accept anything less than those slots as it is for $$ reasons, but in terms of how big he is as an act where would he go?

Interested to hear what people think.

Also I've seen Action Bronson 3 times at 3 different venues and I've never been really blown away at any of them tbh. Shouts something about food/the city he's in and people lap it up. Not really my thing and I say that as someone who listens to a lot of his stuff.

One who I was surprised at how good they were was Azealia Banks at Leeds, brilliant show. Obviously she's a bit of a nutcase so I doubt I'll be seeing her again any time soon but she was great that night.

1 hour ago, ConorC said:

Saw KRS last month in Manchester. Excellent gig, though not sure if it'd translate to the festival environment in a tent or something. Doesn't he have this thing about that sound being absolutely perfect at his shows?

Different question - where would people put J Cole on a glasto bill? Played to arenas here on his last tour and in America he sits with Drake/Kendrick as the big hip hop kingpins at the moment. Would he be mid-order pyramid/other headline? Or lower? To be honest I doubt he'd accept anything less than those slots as it is for $$ reasons, but in terms of how big he is as an act where would he go?

Interested to hear what people think.

Cole's a funny one. He's got a very loyal fanbase that seems to grow with each album but I wouldn't say he's as well known as Drake or Kendrick. He goes on doing his thing very quietly inbetween album releases and I don't know where he'd go. 

Would dig The Roots. Every year have the same hope for it... Be swell if it happens this year.

Lil Wayne is on my wish list. For me there is no one better. Cant imagine it ever happening though.

Love to see Lil Dicky too, can't make any of his current tour dates.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

A Tribe Called Quest's final album, 11th November.

9aocv7.jpg

Just came here to post something about this. Would absolutely love it if they were there.

I saw Q-Tip in 2009 and he was fantastic. I had a really sore back from carrying one too many crates of Strongbow in to the campsite, but sitting at the back of the Jazz World stage listening to him was wonderful. The only problem was I couldn't see his amazing suit which I had to read about the next day.

Crackin' end to the Friday that was.

On 29/10/2016 at 6:07 PM, Cornelius_Fudge said:

Just came here to post something about this. Would absolutely love it if they were there.

I saw Q-Tip in 2009 and he was fantastic. I had a really sore back from carrying one too many crates of Strongbow in to the campsite, but sitting at the back of the Jazz World stage listening to him was wonderful. The only problem was I couldn't see his amazing suit which I had to read about the next day.

Crackin' end to the Friday that was.

Surely ATCQ show would just be Q-Tip rapping anyway now, with Phife sadly passing earlier this year? I'd still be up for that tho, Q-Tip was one of my favourites in 2009, think that's the only set i've ever watched alone at Glastonbury. Drunk way too many brothers that night and woke up the next day without my wallet, I was using some other lads ticket that year as well, he'd sent me his driving license in case i got ID'd on the way in, so i lost that with the wallet.

I quite enjoyed Young Thug's latest album (even tho i struggle to undertsand what he's saying half the time) and it  would also be great to see the Sweatshop Boys make an appearance.

7 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

I quite enjoyed Young Thug's latest album (even tho i struggle to undertsand what he's saying half the time) and it  would also be great to see the Sweatshop Boys make an appearance.

:lol: I wonder if people would bother trying to sing along. I don't really like his music but that guy is cool as shit.

17 hours ago, bigfurbdogg said:

I can't understand a lot of what he says either, excellent live though!

Electric crowd, my mate had his sunglasses fly off into the distance midway through. His own fault for wearing sunglasses in a tent.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

The new A Tribe Called Quest album came out today. I've just started listening to it and I like it a lot already.

Possibly a West Holts headliner, Friday or Saturday night?

Does anyone know if they're about?

Yeah I'm listening right now. Real good stuff on here. Would be happy to see them on West Holts on Friday night.

Edited by BlackHole2006

On 11/11/2016 at 5:48 PM, BlackHole2006 said:

Yeah I'm listening right now. Real good stuff on here. Would be happy to see them on West Holts on Friday night.

If they were up against Radiohead there could be serious clash issues but I'd prob see have to split my time 70/30 in favour of ATCQ, given it's their last album and I guess their last tour(?).

Dis Generation, Enough!!, The Space Program, Solid Wall of Sound... great songs