The Free Citizens' Movement to Bring Sufjan Stevens to Glastonbury 2017

Amy Lawn

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah hasn't appeared on any festival lineups so far so not looking likely that he's touring, or at least playing festivals. next album cycle though... surely!

Hoping we don't have another 5 year gap like between Illinois and Age Of Adz and then again with Carrie & Lowell. Michigan, Seven Swans and Illinois were released on consecutive years, I like the productive Sufjan.

10 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Thought only sufjan talk allowed round here. Bloody hypocrite! :P

Anyway, really enjoyed Seven Swans and Michigan. Think I prefer Illinois to those two and carrie and lowell is definitely my favourite, so maybe the 5 year wait would be for the best.

One listen of Age of Adz fell into "not for me" and not jut cos it's totally different. For me it was all over the place but I will give it another go. 

Now back to the 'lips.

Illinoise, C&L and Age Of Adz are all perfect to me, I tend not to listen to Michigan and Seven Swans as much because they get overshadowed by his later works, but they're still really great, 9/10 kind of game there. Age Of Adz actually took ages to click with me, I don't think I really got into it until last year when Carrie & Lowell came out. It seems like madness and heresy now, but I think I bought C&L after it had been out for months, because I didn't have fond memories of Adz and thought he'd lost it. What an utter w*nker I was back then.

Been putting up the decorations + tree this week, so natch the Christmas CDs have been on. I probably should go in on the second box set, I've got the first one and they definitely got better each year. Shame he doesn't do them any more, I think I remember seeing that it was prompted by his mum dying.

I listened to Michigan earlier and it's still so so good. Up there with Illinois and Carrie for me. Age of Adz... eh. Not my favourite of his. Re: Christmas songs, I've only listened to Silver and Gold, but you're right, they're spot on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2016 at 8:12 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

OH MY GOD IT'S SUFJAN DOING R.E.M. TOO MUCH!!!!

I know right, i see he did it in Manchester in 2011 too

Anyone else sing along/fill in with the words from Chicago when listening to The Transfiguration? Can't help with the 

I don't mind, I don't mind
I was in love with the place
In my mind, in my mind
I made a lot of mistakes
In my mind, in my mind

when it comes to that tune

Edited by Chawk

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

New songs alert! He's doing the soundtrack for upcoming film Call Me By Your Name, this is an exciting development.

http://pitchfork.com/news/70751-sufjan-stevens-soundtracks-new-film-call-me-by-your-name/

unfortunately him doing the soundtrack to a film probably doesn't make him at all more likely to play Glastonbury, but i'll take the new material nonetheless, and pray/hope he's booked at the next best available opportunity (c'mon 2019)

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

unfortunately him doing the soundtrack to a film probably doesn't make him at all more likely to play Glastonbury, but i'll take the new material nonetheless, and pray/hope he's booked at the next best available opportunity (c'mon 2019)

Sounds like the film is done. But if he was touring this year we'd probably have heard about it. Also it looks like Dawn Landes is doing her own thing this year, so the band's not active.

Well, I've never been looking forward to 'a gay love story set in Northern Italy' more.

Also, I realised that I had a time machine I'd definitely go back to the recording of Impossible Soul, I don't understand how or where it came from. Ludicrous. 

'Seems I got it wrong, I was chasing after something that was gone
To the black of night, now I know it's not what I wanted at all' 

we all been there

On 09/01/2017 at 7:11 AM, Chawk said:

Heard a lot of people rating this Car Seat Headrest guy, turns out he covered Impossible Soul 1

Car Seat Headrest played The Park last year.

Caught Sufjan Stevens a couple of times over the years (End of the Road, Primavera) always think I should like him more than I do. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2017 at 11:35 PM, Fast Drones said:

He's playing a single show in march for a charity benefit concert thing.

there is hope

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/sufjan-stevens-added-to-tibet-house-us-benefit-related-news/

Looks like it's almost certainly a one-off, although if he comes on stage and there is an actual band and a show in place, it's on. Also I'd give a nut to see Patti Smith and Soof together on the Glastonbury line-up, bills like that are the stuff dreams are made of.

Weekends are for Sufjan listening, and I've got Seven Swans on rn <3, mulling over whether I should get The BQE on vinyl and thus complete the set, I don't know that I'd listen to it that often though. But last night I listened to The Age Of Adz, and I want to discuss a subject that has been bugging me a while; who is he singing about in Futile Devices? I would think it was definitely Carrie, if it wasn't for the "I think of you as a brother" line. I've been pondering this since last year when we learned a lot about Sufjan and Carrie's relationship from the album and him being so candid in interviews. Believe it or not I didn't really listen to The Age Of Adz so much until last 2015, when I scooped it on vinyl for a tenner because I thought I may as well for that price. I disliked it at release because I thought it was naff and overblown, I was so used to folk Sufjan and I rejected the new direction. What an utterly tasteless monster I was at that time. The Age Of Adz and I have been putting in some serious sessions to make up for lost time ever since, it's now one of my all-time favourite albums. Anyway I don't if the fact that I was listening to Carrie & Lowell and AoA so much at the same time made me think Futile Devices is about her, but it just seems like a perfect fit, except that one line which just doesn't fit at all. What think you, hive mind?

On 08/01/2017 at 5:43 AM, Chawk said:

Well, I've never been looking forward to 'a gay love story set in Northern Italy' more.

the Sufjan Stevens-heavy soundtrack is often more distracting than it is accommodating

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/24/sundance-review-call-me-by-your-name

Post top 10 Soof tracks! Keep the thread alive.

10. Romulus
9. Age Of Adz
8. Chicago
7. Should've Known Better
6. Casimir Pulaski Day
5. Death With Dignity
4. Impossible Soul
3. Come On! Feel The Illinoise!
2. No Shade In The Shadow Of The Cross
1. The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us!

On 1/25/2017 at 9:48 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Fake news. Sad!

• 5 weeks later...

A very important slice of history there Chawk, thanks for sharing. I am once both enriched to the core of my soul to have seen that, and feeling a great sense of incompleteness that I will never know how Sufjan's game of Pacman ended up. The Lord sendeth and the Lord taketh away, as Sufjan would probably say.

Carrie was all about giving her weans names that swimming instructors could bastardize into Japanese car manufacturers, wasn't she? Marzuki was fo sho getting called Suzuki by that man, hundy p.