The Free Citizens' Movement to Bring Sufjan Stevens to Glastonbury 2017

Amy Lawn

On 12/10/2016 at 8:34 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

We, the people, hereby demand that Sufjan Stevens bring his festival show of maximalist pop brilliance to Glastonbury in 2017.

After many years of shunning festivals, Sufjan (Subaru to his friends and swimming instructors) toured America last year with an extravagant stage show which had been purpose built for festival crowds. If anything, this career-spanning epic of joy was too good for the Americans, and it's only just that this carnival rolls around to Worthy Farm next year; the ultimate festival set at the world's best festival.

As a sample of the sort of thing we're campaigning for, here is footage of his set from Sasquatch festival.

Our demands are clear and simple; a set lasting no less than one hour and ten minutes, on either the Pyramid during the daytime or a headline set on the groovy new John Peel stage.

sorry old son i mean some strange people will like it maybe westholts but i thought that was really really bad and looked like he was miming ..only good thing was the lovely ladys imo ..but heyhooooooo each to there own ..you crack on you old fruit and nut case lol :wacko:

4 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

sorry old son i mean some strange people will like it maybe westholts but i thought that was really really bad and looked like he was miming ..only good thing was the lovely ladys imo ..but heyhooooooo each to there own ..you crack on you old fruit and nut case lol :wacko:

:D Your inimitable input is always welcome Guy, thanks for popping in.

Kind of agree with Guy, and I normally like Sufjan. He has some cool tunes but the whole show doesn't really match to his type of music, for me. When he sings Casimir Pulaski Day it looks odd when the song is so melancholic and he's covered in neon tribal stuff, haha, but can picture him headlining Friday night on the Park definitely.

6 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

cheers old son ....you sorted tix wise btw ???..hope you are old son

Yep, I'm sorted, the Gods were kind this year. Got ours within about 10 minutes and spent the rest of the sale getting them for other groups, got 5 rounds all in all. Did you get on ok?

51 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yep, I'm sorted, the Gods were kind this year. Got ours within about 10 minutes and spent the rest of the sale getting them for other groups, got 5 rounds all in all. Did you get on ok?

51 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

yea it was close tho I EVEN GOT THROUGH lol and got 1 lot of 6 we got 29 out of 35 and 1 has pulled out so just those last ones to get ....BUT no the rumor mill has started about the line up you can bet 100000s will get reged up NOW cos registration is REOPENED and we have to go up against those 100000s who before the line up rumors came out couldnt be bothered to get reged up AND THAT pisses me off.........moan over really pleased to see so many on here getting tix

15 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Ok guys, where do I start with Mr Stevens? I know nothing about him other than he has a load of love on these boards and he has done bits and is friends with The National. 

carrie and lowel if you want lofi acoustic sadness its fucking wonderful
age of adz if you want weird electrofolk with a 20 minute banger
illinois if you want orchestra perfection

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Ok guys, where do I start with Mr Stevens? I know nothing about him other than he has a load of love on these boards and he has done bits and is friends with The National. 

Your main focus should definitely be Carrie & Lowell, Illinois and Seven Swans Scruff.

Age of Adz was good but quite disconnected from the rest of his catalogue.

Michigan is also a superb album if you're still interested by that point :lol:

Edited by TomViolence

4 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Michigan, Seven Swans, Illinois, Age of Adz and Carrie & Lowell are all perfect.

Carrie & Lowell is the shortest and has most instantly appealing tunes, so go for that first. But then go straight to Illinois and Age Of Adz, because Sufjan is all about the pop bangers on those two.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Listened to Carrie and Lowell on the YouTube this morning. Definitely has me interested enough to explore further. Can see lawn's s and g comparison in a way. Gonna hit Illinois next. 

By coincidence, Illinois is getting a spin on my turntable right now.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Thought I'd read you were going. Best I've seen them. Loved both Glastonbury gigs I'd seen but that was different level. The new album stuff worked much better alongside the other stuff than I thought it would. 

I had tickets but I got dangerously skint so I sold them on a couple of weeks ago. Not been able to go to Warpaint or Preoccupations or Nao either. Been a lean few months.

Illinois just keeps on giving, you can listen to that album countless times and still catch things that you never knew were there.

However, Carrie and Lowell is his best now, for me. It took a while, at first I didn't really like it but it's slowly grown on me. It's one of my favourite records now. Absolutely stunning.

You folk who've seen him live... how does the C+L stuff blend in with the monumental epics? I can imagine that being quite a strange dynamic.

37 minutes ago, CHRLY said:

You folk who've seen him live... how does the C+L stuff blend in with the monumental epics? I can imagine that being quite a strange dynamic.

I haven't seen him but I think it depends on the kind of set he's doing. In the original C&L tour it was all just like on record I believe, but on the more Age of Adz based sets he's been doing at festivals he does some sort of remixed versions that make them a bit more upbeat and danceable. You wouldn't think it'd work, but it does.

6 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Had headphones in at work. Feel like I've probably sold it short as couldn't concentrate fully on lyrics and probably missed a load of subtlety. Reckon it'll take a lot of listens to appreciate fully, but overall I'm gutted that this has existed for 11 years and I've never heard of it. 

Not a work album at all Scruff. It's one that becomes your favourite album after you've lived with it for about 18 month, given it a good few sessions sat there with just the album on and a brew, going through the lyric sheet, full focus. Personally I'm not any sort of academic, got pretty crap school results and left before finishing my A-levels, but I reckon I've got a lot more grasp on American history than your average UK citizen through feeling compelled to look up loads of names, places and events that Sufjan, Bob Dylan and Kanye West talked about. Illinois is a very personal album, but it's communicated through references to the history and culture of the state itself, so it's one of the first albums I obsessed over and delved really deep into when I was a teenager (fucking ELEVEN years ago, stuff I remember has started being ten or more years ago lately, I don't like it... Talkin bout my generation).

1 hour ago, CHRLY said:

Well I saw a C&L in full show, so it was more how he fit stuff like Vesuvius and Chicago in with that. But it's the best gig I've ever seen, comfortably; for reasons I'll go into more detail about when I'm not slightly pissed and struggling to type on my shite tablet.

On 15/10/2016 at 9:45 PM, Cornelius_Fudge said:

Kind of agree with Guy, and I normally like Sufjan. He has some cool tunes but the whole show doesn't really match to his type of music, for me. When he sings Casimir Pulaski Day it looks odd when the song is so melancholic and he's covered in neon tribal stuff, haha, but can picture him headlining Friday night on the Park definitely.

Just re-listened to Illinois on the commute to and back from work and I've completely changed my mind. If there was any chance of him headlining Saturday night, or subbing Radiohead maybe, then I'd be all over it.

On 10/31/2016 at 5:11 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

After repeated listens I'm now loving Illinois. Definitely on the "must buy on vinyl" list along with C&L. 

It's been repressed recently, so should be pretty widely available in respectable gramophone record stockists. His stuff is reasonably priced too, Age Of Adz has an RRP of £10, in all its 2 disc 180g majesty, I challenge you to find a better record selling new for that much or less (or even any full length studio album for that matter).