Glastonbury 2016 - In Retrospect

CaledonianGonzo

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

That cafe in pylon is a shite rip-off though! Other than that - and a long walk back if you want a pit-stop - it's a great spot

I mostly bought coffee in the morning. The walk back was a bit of a pain but it meant I cleared my head a bit before sleeping so didn't get any really bad hangovers. I also don't spend much time other than sleeping at my tent. 

I camped in Pennards the year before so the added space and higher ground were very welcome this year. Dependent on ticket gods I'd be keen to stay that end of site in 2017, maybe a bit nearer John Peel though

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was interesting coming from Australia to 2016 Glasto. Especially the Brexit vote and sensing the devastation in everyone. It was quite surreal being in the bubble that was the festival and hearing about the world falling apart outside.

Having said that it was an amazing experience and capped off with Coldplay with the light show, tribute to the young band,  the wrist bands Barry Gibb and Michael Eavis singing My Way....what a way to close it out!

Looking back

it was still my worst Glastonbury, but Glasto is like Pizza a bad Pizza is still Pizza so it's good.

The rain, the choice of camp. the line up wasn't the greatest for me. Still made some amazing memories. 

2016 was good but not great.  I judge all Glastonburys by 2009  and this didn't match up to it (Blur was probably the highlight of my gig going career)

The mud was reason for this.  It was such a slog.  We didn't manage to get on the campervan fields and ended up on the showgrounds.  This had pros and cons but I now know that I prefer to be in the East field (was thinking of trying west) esp  at 3 am when you have to walk for an hour from the naughty corner to gate A through the mud!

I thought there was less nob heads than usual.

I didn't explore the circus fields and the far flung corners of the site as much as wanted to

my Thursday night was great as Mrs Beaker (AKA No place like home) took me to new and exciting places which she has never took me to before (at least at a festival)!

But i had lots of fun in difficult conditions and cannot wait until 2017 (if i get a ticket)

Just now, beaker said:

I thought there was less nob heads than usual.

Yeah I agree. The 2015 crowd was much worse I thought. 

1 minute ago, beaker said:

my Thursday night was great as Mrs Beaker (AKA No place like home) took me to new and exciting places which she has never took me to before (at least at a festival)!

*something about up the ribbon tower*

Overall my worst festival experience although perversely had one of my best festival moments

The delays, mud, lack of energy all weekend, lost tent, getting no sleep (camped next to a control tower)..... didn't enjoy much of it. Never ventured to the SE Corner at any stage, tapped out on Sunday afternoon when I was just utterly drained and couldn't face the prospect of the forecast rain in the evening.

All that said, Jagwar Ma in the Crows Nest with my camping group and Hinds was easily a night I'll remember for a long, long time. Worth the absolute ball ache of a trek up to the top of Park. Have already decided (ticket permitting), I'll be spending more time at Crows Nest in 2017...great night time venue!

2013 is still my favourite festival. Great weather, great line up.

I've found it's one that I may not have loved quite as much at the time, but I've had more good memories flooding back than usual.

Sat in the car last night and James "Getting Away With It" came on - straight back to the Other and the joy of my first proper set of the weekend, that just happened to be a band I've loved but never seen. Banging.

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah I agree. The 2015 crowd was much worse I thought. 

*something about up the ribbon tower*

Second only to taking someone in the Rabbit Hole

39 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Thats the same for every Glasto! 

I felt like I'd been in a car crash after 2015. This year was definitely better. 

My new year resolution was to lose weight and I was over a stone lighter in 2016 than 2015. I honestly think if I hadn't then I wouldn't have made it to Monday morning.

I have the utmost respect for people with injuries or mobility difficulties who manage through 5 days. 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not sure about the crowd being "better".  More subdued, certainly.

Sunny weather leads to high spirits, with a higher probability of folk drinking more and getting carried away.

A drizzly mudbath means people are more likely to keep a lid on it, but a greater incidence of torn faces.

Easy to escape into a bar when the rain came. I was mildly yet consistently drunk all week. Helped cope with the mud. And didn't get a drop of rain on me. Apart from a light hazing at Rokia Traore which was worth it. 

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not sure about the crowd being "better".  More subdued, certainly.

Sunny weather leads to high spirits, with a higher probability of folk drinking more and getting carried away.

A drizzly mudbath means people are more likely to keep a lid on it, but a greater incidence of torn faces.

I approach this in the complete opposite direction. When I'm at a festival in bad weather/conditions I intentionally get as drunk as possible so that I dont care about it all, whens its sunny and dry I dont try, it just happens naturally.

during the day i certainly struggled to get in to the swing of things on a lot of occasions. stuff like Kamasi Washington which should've been a joyous boogie occasion had me sitting on a bin liner on the floor choking down a shit overpriced burger and having a little mope as the rain started once more. the luxury of just being able to sit anywhere at any time was definitely missed this year as well

1 minute ago, The Red Telephone said:

Aye. First few mouthfuls are divine. Bit claggy after that. I had an all-day vegan breakfast to compensate later on. Yin and yang.

Never had one.  Looking at that photo I'm not going to rush to change that fact.

2 hours ago, mungo57 said:

I remember that soup place.

I took far too much speed a few years ago and felt like a colossal dog turd the next day - only thing I could stomach was soup - was so glad for that stall. Soup and half a loaf for like £4 and it was bloody lovely.

i can only speculate that there can't be too much difference in taste between a colossal dog turd and some blue cheese and mushroom soup 

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I tend to feel a bit better after the wet years as I probably indulge less - but it's still more of an effort while you're actually there.

opposite for me, i indulged more as sitting in the bar was easier than walking to anything.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Never had one.  Looking at that photo I'm not going to rush to change that fact.

If you like shit chips, poor-quality cheese, stale bread, Supermarket own-brand ketchup and mayonnaise then I guarantee there is no better way to spend £5.

That said, I did enjoy the initial thrill of it.

3 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

If you like shit chips, poor-quality cheese, stale bread, Supermarket own-brand ketchup and mayonnaise then I guarantee there is no better way to spend £5.

That said, I did enjoy the initial thrill of it.

Not a salesman are you? :lol:

I did find that one of the cheese toasty van's efforts made for good hangover scran.