King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard

Mash011

Aye it's not shaping up as wild as Nonagon but I'm loving the feel of this thing so far and it's looking like something that's gonna be distinctive within their discography. Can't wait to sink into the full thing. Only complaint I can think of for the ones so far would be that a little more Eastern instrumentation beyond the tonation would be cool but I guess we'll have to wait and see if that appears.

Think there's a Nonagon-esque effort in the locker for later this year, seeing as they had Lord of Lightning, Crumbling Castles and Barrel Roll mixed in on the Nonagon tour.

They ought to hurry up and announce the next album actually if they wann put out five. Bet they only release two or three. Slackers.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Think there's a Nonagon-esque effort in the locker for later this year, seeing as they had Lord of Lightning, Crumbling Castles and Barrel Roll mixed in on the Nonagon tour.

They ought to hurry up and announce the next album actually if they wann put out five. Bet they only release two or three. Slackers.

I have a feeling one of the albums will be a double / triple effort. Part A, B, C type of thing

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have a feeling one of the albums will be a double / triple effort. Part A, B, C type of thing

That'd make sense. Something they haven't done yet.

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

How about a vinyl-only release? I hope not, but they do have form for that.

It wouldn't stay that way for long.

Here's a thing - I just got an email that Thee Oh Sees were coming to Manchester Academy...

...it's the same night as the Manchester Gizz show up the road????

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Here's a thing - I just got an email that Thee Oh Sees were coming to Manchester Academy...

...it's the same night as the Manchester Gizz show up the road????

Ouch!  They're both playing at Field Day on 3rd June.  Psych-rock heaven.  To which I have a ticket... but can't go :(

9 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Tough one for me. Albert hall a great venue, but never seen oh sees before and seen Gizz twice. Never been to academy but  in my head it's a generic o2 type venue? 

Yeah, shit beer in a big soulless room. (I'm only saying this as I already have gizzard tickets despite seeing them a couple of months ago and have never seen TOS)

16 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Is that the 14th June? Surely the thing to take from that is they're both in England the week before Glastonbury! Either or both of them in JP or WG would be awesome

Yep that's what I'm hoping for/taking from it. Just my luck that I make it back to Primavera this year and it's the one year Thee Oh Sees aren't playing, so got my fingers crossed for a G appearance!

On 1/18/2017 at 3:34 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Is that the 14th June? Surely the thing to take from that is they're both in England the week before Glastonbury! Either or both of them in JP or WG would be awesome

Not that it makes a difference but they're probably both going to be at Best Kept Secret in the couple of days after and King Giz are at a German festival as well.

They'll be back for Glasto no doubt though. 

• 1 month later...

Bump

New album announced. New record out tomorrow. Man it feels good to be a gizzhead.

Guess we'll have to find out if it's the Nonagon sequel when the tracklist comes out. I know one of the upcoming is an Eyes Like the Sky type affair and Stu's dad has written the story for it, and there's a Mild High Club collab as well iirc. So it's either the next in the series or something completely different.

edit: Glasto still looking good too. Got a show in France on Thursday and the weekend is free beyond that. Want at least 8 shows.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

New album announced. New record out tomorrow. Man it feels good to be a gizzhead.

Guess we'll have to find out if it's the Nonagon sequel when the tracklist comes out. I know one of the upcoming is an Eyes Like the Sky type affair and Stu's dad has written the story for it, and there's a Mild High Club collab as well iirc. So it's either the next in the series or something completely different.

It's got to be the Nonagon sequel, check out that album art.

16976822_10210158770260612_951922001_n.png?oh=c3b382ece504df5e8e1990a60a75d5b1&oe=58B1EB3A

Same mountains as the Nonagon/Mind Fuzz art. The Gizzverse is real.

Anyway, I think this is the one they compared to Eyes Like the Sky. The quotes in question -

"We're actually making this record at the moment which is completely narrated throughout but it's not related to Eyes Like The Sky at all. It's kind of more related to Nonagon Infinity but it's three distinct stories… kind of short stories that interlink but don't follow in a linear sense. I think it's going to be 21 tracks, so a lot of shorter pieces…"

"It's Eyes Like the Sky-esque in the sense that it's narrated and visual but it's not really that kind of music," says Stu.

"Like the worst nightmare of Eyes Like The Sky - it's pretty dark," adds King Gizz's Harmonica-wielding vocalist Ambrose Kenny-Smith. 

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/musicnews/s4623146.htm

It's also supposed to feature Gregorian throat singing. So that all adds up to something very interesting.

Just now, Mash011 said:

It's got to be the Nonagon sequel, check out that album art.

16976822_10210158770260612_951922001_n.png?oh=c3b382ece504df5e8e1990a60a75d5b1&oe=58B1EB3A

Same mountains as the Nonagon/Mind Fuzz art. The Gizzverse is real.

Anyway, I think this is the one they compared to Eyes Like the Sky. The quotes in question -

"We're actually making this record at the moment which is completely narrated throughout but it's not related to Eyes Like The Sky at all. It's kind of more related to Nonagon Infinity but it's three distinct stories… kind of short stories that interlink but don't follow in a linear sense. I think it's going to be 21 tracks, so a lot of shorter pieces…"

"It's Eyes Like the Sky-esque in the sense that it's narrated and visual but it's not really that kind of music," says Stu.

"Like the worst nightmare of Eyes Like The Sky - it's pretty dark," adds King Gizz's Harmonica-wielding vocalist Ambrose Kenny-Smith. 

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/musicnews/s4623146.htm

It's also supposed to feature Gregorian throat singing. So that all adds up to something very interesting.

Oh man I've swerved all the Gizzverse shit cos it sounded like the scribblings of morons. Now I have to actually look it up.

But yeah that definitely looks right. I thought the Nonagon type thing would have Lord of Lightning, Barrel Roll, etc. on it so wasn't expecting that album to be narrated.

I tried to look up the Nuclear Fusion 'live throat singing' but there wasn't a video where you could make it out. Sure we'll hear it for ourselves soon enough.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Oh man I've swerved all the Gizzverse shit cos it sounded like the scribblings of morons. Now I have to actually look it up.

Tbh up to this point I don't think it's been anything more than a shared aesthetic. But with the introduction of actual narrative storytelling into the mix it looks like it's about to get a whole lot more solid. I'm entertaining the theory that the lovecraftian horror that seems to have taken over on that album art is a result of the whole cult-ritual vibe and the 'door-opening' on Nonagon. But we'll see - I'm intrigued for sure.

I hope the 'completely narrated throughout' is an exaggeration though. Can get a bit tiresome on repeat plays.

5 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Tbh up to this point I don't think it's been anything more than a shared aesthetic. But with the introduction of actual narrative storytelling into the mix it looks like it's about to get a whole lot more solid. I'm entertaining the theory that the lovecraftian horror that seems to have taken over on that album art is a result of the whole cult-ritual vibe and the 'door-opening' on Nonagon. But we'll see - I'm intrigued for sure.

I hope the 'completely narrated throughout' is an exaggeration though. Can get a bit tiresome on repeat plays.

Yeah I can't really remember Eyes Like the Sky. Tuned out every time I've listened to it.

Spoken word between proper tracks keeps the attention. Everyone knows "I remember you was conflicted" don't they? I'm sure they'll give it a good go tho.

Edited by dentalplan

My copy of the new one should be being delivered today.

There's a few people in the comments of the FB video suggesting the newly announced one is part of a trilogy with Fuzz and Nonagon. God knows if it's true, but any record in that sort of style is fine by me!

So is it meant to be 5 albums this year? I wonder if they'll keep doing this approach.

Isn't it a great that we live in world with King Gizz? A band that actually care more about their art than doing the standard release-tour-record cycle every couple of years.

3 hours ago, big__phil said:

Isn't it a great that we live in world with King Gizz? A band that actually care more about their art than doing the standard release-tour-record cycle every couple of years.

Hmmmmmm....they've got a long way to go to beat the likes of R Stevie Moore or Robert Pollard.

I'm less convinced by the benefits of quantity if the quality control is all over the shop.