King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard

Mash011

Had fun last night but will admit to being a tiny bit underwhelmed. Maybe it's just me having seen them too many times at this stage but I didn't feel that they quite rose to the size of that venue. Also a bit disappointed in some of the setlist choices, had seen Sketches stuff on the setlist but they only did tiny instrumental snippets of them which was a real let down. Also I'm not the biggest FMB fan so the first set didn't do it for me and the Gumboot picks, All Is Known and Greenhouse Heat Death were some of the worst off that album imo. The Polygondwanaland stuff was fantastic though! And the more familiar stuff good fun as ever.

Thought they were great myself. Funny to see such a relatively young band suddenly have such a big back catalogue to explore. Allows them to mix it up a lot more than previously, while still having the big numbers from Nonagon and Mind Fuzz (they should have played more  from the latter). Never been the biggest FMB fan myself but thought the stuff from that was fantastic.

The Sister Ray interval was a nice touch - a shame they had to cut off the last 2 minutes!

17 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Loved rocking out to Sister Ray in the interlude, what a fitting choice :D

'The Book' is such a funny little song.

did they play that in full during the fag break? nice :)

great gig and the best final 3 songs ever to a set to me!

I thought the academy was a great venue and they even had a decent ipa I  tap!

They were fucking incredible at the trades club at the weekend. I feel very lucky to not only have been there, but to have been right at the front, shook all their hands as they left the stage. Brilliant x

The Hebden Bridge show was terrific! All the guys I spoke to from the band were lovely as well. Jason Galea who does all their artwork drew me a crocodile.

We got tickets for the matinee show with Lomond Campbell and Halo Maud too, spent the whole day in that lovely little town. A beautiful time was had.

I also met one of the folks who runs the Crows Nest at Glastonbury, he welcomed me into the place 2 years ago and really kicked off that year's festival for me. Great to see him again.

Photes & Vids

14 hours ago, Simpo said:

The Hebden Bridge show was terrific! All the guys I spoke to from the band were lovely as well. Jason Galea who does all their artwork drew me a crocodile.

We got tickets for the matinee show with Lomond Campbell and Halo Maud too, spent the whole day in that lovely little town. A beautiful time was had.

I also met one of the folks who runs the Crows Nest at Glastonbury, he welcomed me into the place 2 years ago and really kicked off that year's festival for me. Great to see him again.

Photes & Vids

My husband is on  some of your photo's, I was stood just next to him on the other side! 

On Friday, we too met the folk who run Crows Nest, lovely lovely people!

I know this gets brought up every time they do something impressive but I think it bears repeating, how amazing it is that a 7 piece fuzz psych band from Australia called King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is headlining a semi-major festival. What's the highest you reckon they could achieve at Glastonbury if they carry on this way? Headlining West Holts in a couple of years? Seeing the pictures from Brixton and hearing about this I'm a little taken aback at how big they've become, I figured they'd peaked when I saw them at the Ritz 17 months ago (and FIVE albums ago).

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I know this gets brought up every time they do something impressive but I think it bears repeating, how amazing it is that a 7 piece fuzz psych band from Australia called King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is headlining a semi-major festival. What's the highest you reckon they could achieve at Glastonbury if they carry on this way? Headlining West Holts in a couple of years? Seeing the pictures from Brixton and hearing about this I'm a little taken aback at how big they've become, I figured they'd peaked when I saw them at the Ritz 17 months ago (and FIVE albums ago).

I was thinking about them playing the Pyramid in the next couple of years. They'd probably suit a later slot on a small stage better but I've got no doubt they could pull off a Pyramid slot too.

6 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I was thinking about them playing the Pyramid in the next couple of years. They'd probably suit a later slot on a small stage better but I've got no doubt they could pull off a Pyramid slot too.

If it wasn't for their stupid human hands they could play the pyramid all day long with the amount of material they've got and continue to put out, finish it off with a headline slot playing nonagon infinity through twice non stop. 

They do seem pretty ambitious though, when you think of some of the people you'd group them with (Oh Sees, Ty) some of them have been going for ages and gizz seem to be rising higher than them (although I definitely prefer to the 2 examples I gave). Best of luck to them either way.

33 minutes ago, priest17 said:

If it wasn't for their stupid human hands they could play the pyramid all day long with the amount of material they've got and continue to put out, finish it off with a headline slot playing nonagon infinity through twice non stop. 

They do seem pretty ambitious though, when you think of some of the people you'd group them with (Oh Sees, Ty) some of them have been going for ages and gizz seem to be rising higher than them (although I definitely prefer to the 2 examples I gave). Best of luck to them either way.

Yeah its strange cause Ty and Oh Sees are also super prolific. I think Gizz are just more accessible than them,  the variety in the material they put out means they appeal to a lot of different people. Ty and Oh Sees are great but I don't think they change up their sound/experiment (at least compared to Gizz) enough to receive widespread recognition, as great as they are. I think the '5 albums in one year' has probably helped get them noticed more too.

Edited by suttttttt

Fucking hell, had speculated they might nah a GM or EotR headline slot after Brixton was announced but it's mad to see it actually happening. Gonna look in to getting a volunteering slot for that.

That said, they're gonna need to up the showmanship a bit if they want to really go down well on the pyramid. Definitely noticed at Brixton they were just kind of stood there, could do with a bit more performance if big venues like that is their trajectory now.

Bit late to the party but caught King Gizzard at Brixton. Excellent show and loved the 15 minute countdown at half time. Built up the anticipation for the second set nicely. Top night B) Only downside was lost everyone I was with during the second set and my phone ran out of charge so had to make my way through East London on my own in a rather inebriated state!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...