King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard

Mash011

17 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Albert Hall for me, not by much though and definitely has its issues. The Ritz had a really strong period where they were getting all the right bands and great service but its depleted recently, too expensive to enjoy drinking there. Never seem to see bands at the Apollo anymore either, saw Pixies there a year ago but can't remember before that. Plenty of decent venues though, my heart sinks when bands get announced at the Academy.

The Apollo has definitely had a dip in quality of bands of late. Amazingly, not been to the Albert Hall yet and they've had consistently great bookings since it's been opened. Off to the Ritz for the 1st time for the Lemon Twigs in November. The Soup Kitchen is a great little venue, especially now they've jigged the room around so the bar is at the side and not at the back. Great beer on in there as well.

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

The Apollo has definitely had a dip in quality of bands of late. Amazingly, not been to the Albert Hall yet and they've had consistently great bookings since it's been opened. Off to the Ritz for the 1st time for the Lemon Twigs in November. The Soup Kitchen is a great little venue, especially now they've jigged the room around so the bar is at the side and not at the back. Great beer on in there as well.

With Albert Hall there's numerous things wrong with it, its expensive, takes years to get out after, the toilets are an absolute mission, if you get there late you can struggle to get forward, yet I still think it's the best. When the bands playing there's something about it, still annoyed I had to miss Gizz there but don't regret it for Oh Sees. Didn't realise they'd changed soup kitchen, love it there already so looking forward to going there for the manchester psych fest. Love the last quarter of the year, small venues all kick it up a notch with gigs.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, priest17 said:

Albert Hall for me, not by much though and definitely has its issues. The Ritz had a really strong period where they were getting all the right bands and great service but its depleted recently, too expensive to enjoy drinking there. Never seem to see bands at the Apollo anymore either, saw Pixies there a year ago but can't remember before that. Plenty of decent venues though, my heart sinks when bands get announced at the Academy.

I'm the same when a great act is announced for the Gorilla. Always seems oversold and the air con is often louder than the band

Don't get me started on the Victoria Warehouse. Now that is a shit venue.

You need to see some louder bands there, no aircon could compete with the brute force of Girl Band there a few months ago ahah. I don't end up there very often though to be honest, yet to have a bad experience though.

Agree wholeheartedly about the warehouse, although I had a good time in the second room for the music festival a few years ago. Probably end up there for RTJ/Danny Brown as well.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Soup Kitchen's sound system is pretty shit for me

Don't think I've ever had Mich of an issue with it, I'm not much of a connoisseur though. My only real issue with it are the pillars ahah.

Aware this thread has become hijacked by manchester venue talk, new album imminent so I'm sure it'll be back on track soon enough.

23 hours ago, suttttttt said:

Not sure if this will be of interest to any of you guys but The Murlocs (2/7ths of KGATLW in the form of Ambrose and Cook) are touring in September and its their first ever European tour. Check em out, plenty of harmonica! 

http://www.seetickets.com/search?q=murlocs

Cheers for the heads up on this, also booked tickets,  £8 (on Dice, no booking fee) is a ludicrous price these days

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, big__phil said:

King Gizzard has been released! Already sold out with Heavenly though - any idea where I might be able to pre-order the vinyl? Can only seem to find black, which is very un-King Gizz.

Think the only limited colour variant they did was through the Flightless webstore which sold out in less than 15 minutes! They might release another at a later date, I think they did this with FMB but I'm guessing heavenly will only have it on black wax.

2 hours ago, suttttttt said:

Think the only limited colour variant they did was through the Flightless webstore which sold out in less than 15 minutes! They might release another at a later date, I think they did this with FMB but I'm guessing heavenly will only have it on black wax.

Pre-ordered black through Heavenly this morning. Let's hope they decide to deliver this one!

Can't wait to get this on later. Lots of people seem pretty positive on it.

36 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Pre-ordered black through Heavenly this morning. Let's hope they decide to deliver this one!

Can't wait to get this on later. Lots of people seem pretty positive on it.

I bagged a Flightless white one luckily! I listened to it on Spotify last night and it sounds great, psych tinged jazz and a nice change up from the more heavier stuff they've released of late!

What a funky little jam they've come up with there. Tezeta and The Spider and Me gotta be my highlights at this stage. Like I said in the new music thread it's exactly what I wanted from them next. Reminds us that they're actually really fucking good pop songwriters while combining that really effectively with the jammy side of the band.

On 27/07/2017 at 9:12 AM, DiscothequeDave said:

Don't get me started on the Victoria Warehouse. Now that is a shit venue.

Just been there once, for PJ Harvey, it was after, about 25% of the crowd couldn't fit into the main room, so all in the back bar area, with little or no sightlines- I left early...

On 26/08/2017 at 0:04 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

Due to other commitments I have an available ticket for The Murlocs at Gorilla- happy to donate to anyone who wants it, let me know.

Deaf Institute?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...