The Avalanches

Whittick

34 minutes ago, Simpo said:

With Avalanches' latest album We Will Always Love You being a bit of deeper experience than Wildflower, it seems apt that they've gone back to more of a DJ set live show.

And with them playing what I expect to be the sunset slot on the Park Saturday night, it could create a vibe like that of Jamie xx in 2015.  However, they can be hit and miss, so it's tempting to have Saturday be the night I hang out with a big group of friends at the Pyramid, and ensure a good spot for Macca.

They usually never allow themselves to be filmed, so here's a rare chance to see what we could be in for from Coachella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWN3p6gtBi4

There's 20 minutes of footage if you go back to 6:52am, so back 6 and a half hours or so to catch it.

Looks mint tbh.

if its not with dj dexter its not them at their best, best act i've ever seen when thetyg were that mint at v fest the year they did it.

• 1 month later...

Really keen to see avalanches on Saturday eve before Macca

just wondered if anyone has seen them live on this tour? 

I love all three records they have put out, but have no idea what current live proposition is like?

Have read older tour comments from people on this thread before suggesting they have ranged from incredible to very underwhelming depending on their show at the time (and I am also guessing some of the previous booze challenges one of them had)

recent setlists look to lean on the new album pretty heavy which is totally understandable , but they still drop some bangers from the first two (frontier psychiatrist looks unlikely tho :()

is it really just a dj set, are there any real ‘live’ elements ? Might we get guests / features?

kind of looking for it to be massive party set to get Sat going before macca later, or at least back load the party tunes so it finishes in that spirit 

Mindful some of new album is a bit calmer / slow (but still excellent), bit concerned it might not be the party set I am hoping for 

plus the park to pyramid transfer afterwards is a bit of a concern , altho I reckon I have got it down if good ground conditions 

shall I just shut up and get stuck into this , or am I right to be having potential reservations ? 

p.s as a random aside I have always pronounced the band name avalanchees rather than avalanches . No idea where this has come from , as clearly written the latter. Have I just totally made this up or might have heard radio DJs referred to them with the ‘chees’ pronunciation??

NOT LONG NOW PEOPLE xx

50 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Really keen to see avalanches on Saturday eve before Macca

just wondered if anyone has seen them live on this tour? 

I love all three records they have put out, but have no idea what current live proposition is like?

Have read older tour comments from people on this thread before suggesting they have ranged from incredible to very underwhelming depending on their show at the time (and I am also guessing some of the previous booze challenges one of them had)

recent setlists look to lean on the new album pretty heavy which is totally understandable , but they still drop some bangers from the first two (frontier psychiatrist looks unlikely tho :()

is it really just a dj set, are there any real ‘live’ elements ? Might we get guests / features?

kind of looking for it to be massive party set to get Sat going before macca later, or at least back load the party tunes so it finishes in that spirit 

Mindful some of new album is a bit calmer / slow (but still excellent), bit concerned it might not be the party set I am hoping for 

plus the park to pyramid transfer afterwards is a bit of a concern , altho I reckon I have got it down if good ground conditions 

shall I just shut up and get stuck into this , or am I right to be having potential reservations ? 

p.s as a random aside I have always pronounced the band name avalanchees rather than avalanches . No idea where this has come from , as clearly written the latter. Have I just totally made this up or might have heard radio DJs referred to them with the ‘chees’ pronunciation??

NOT LONG NOW PEOPLE xx

I saw them live last year playing mostly the new album and it was bloody brilliant! Definitely keen to see them again at The Park as I loved it so much. In answer to your point about the new album being slower, it came across as incredibly euphoric dance music and definitely much heavier sounding with huge bass. It was absolutely a huge party set with the crowd non stop dancing but the atmosphere was definitely informed by it being one of the first big gigs in Melbourne post lockdown so everyone was cutting loose. That being said, I don't see the Glastonbury crowd as being any different! I'm hoping they bring on some guest singers who are already at the farm like Leon Bridges but we'll see!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dougal1 said:

I saw them live last year playing mostly the new album and it was bloody brilliant! Definitely keen to see them again at The Park as I loved it so much. In answer to your point about the new album being slower, it came across as incredibly euphoric dance music and definitely much heavier sounding with huge bass. It was absolutely a huge party set with the crowd non stop dancing but the atmosphere was definitely informed by it being one of the first big gigs in Melbourne post lockdown so everyone was cutting loose. That being said, I don't see the Glastonbury crowd as being any different! I'm hoping they bring on some guest singers who are already at the farm like Leon Bridges but we'll see!

Cheers for this response mate. Exactly the reassuring nudge I needed to lock it in as a definite.

I think Leon Bridges set a on West Holts clashes , but there is 45 mins for him to get across afterwards. I’ve gone west holts to park in that time, and he will prob have access to a car and some sneaky access lanes. Then again I hadn’t just finished a full guns blazing set of my own ha 

Sampa the Great is on park stage earlier that day, so could be a shout for take care your dreaming verses maybe ?

6 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

I’m gutted that I think I’ll miss this to have a good position for Macca, it’s a bit of a trek from park to pyramid and there’s only 30 mins between them 😣

45 mins I think unless they have changed the set times, doable , but possibly with questionable positions at macca I agree